Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you give up to afford a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got a dog. That was the deal.

The dog meant the end of running away impulsively for weekend trips, not being able to stay out late after work, etc. That was the biggest lifestyle change. She knew I'd wanted a Tesla forever. We could afford it, I just didn't know if I could stomach writing that big check. She wanted a dog forever and was on the hard sell for the dog for over a year.

She got her dog and said, "now you can get your car" - and the quest began. :)

Damnit, I've grown to really love that dog too, but I won't tell her that.

God I miss my dog.

I got in on the 2 year lease discount end of 3rd quarter. After cap cost reduction, payment not much different than my prior loan on a G37x.

I bought the P85+ used and the 90D on the 3rd quarter sales push AKA "Dump the Generation 1 Auto Pilot" Sales Event. Saved about $5K (which paid for the ridiculous 21's that I really didn't want).

Also sold the 2013 P85 and made a couple grand plus 3 years of use and 50,000 miles...

What have we have given up - not really much, sold some stock grants to reduce the capital acquisition costs. In our house 1.9% through Alliant is free money.

I've been driving one of the very first Honda CR-Vs for just shy of 20 years. Many years ago, I started making a 'car payment' and saved up for whatever my next car would be. Early last year, I finally decided it would be a Tesla. I recently refinanced my mortgage and if you add up the 'car payment' I've been making for years and the savings I got from refinancing, it covers the Tesla payment.
I gave up a bunch of CDs paying <2% interest. I paid $10,000 for my Tesla. It's just that the money has been parked in a S&P500 money market fund since 1995. ;)

Audi S8 + Chevy Tahoe LT3

Never have I regretted selling my Car for my S. And never has my wife regretted selling her Truck for her S.
Buttt. I am missing my V8 a little bit.....but just a tiny smudge!
BUTTTTT we would never go back to gas cant betray Tesla like that!
Oil Smugglers.................. ;)

Yes, I did a search for this topic prior to posting but found nothing...

This question may not apply to many of you but for me and my wife the decision to purchase a Tesla was one that required some budgeting. We still await our new Tesla which should arrive any day now but it got me thinking... what life style/budget changes have any of you made to become a Tesla owner? While our changes involved selling some of our cars (We owned way to many, some being redundant...) I also joked with my wife "Well, it's time to tighten our financial belts when the car arrives... no more Starbucks!" at which point her eyes glazed over and I think all she heard was "You're husbands a bastard, time to leave him...". Never take Starbucks away from my wife...
Your wife and I are on the same page. :) For me, it was giving up two things that were relatively easy: 1) Regular Visits to clothing stores (Ted Baker, Penguin and Calvin Klein are weaknesses) 2) Expensive Watch Buying.

Your wife and I are on the same page. :) For me, it was giving up two things that were relatively easy: 1) Regular Visits to clothing stores (Ted Baker, Penguin and Calvin Klein are weaknesses) 2) Expensive Watch Buying.

My jaw hit the floor that someone's response included two words synonymous with my own personal weakness... Ted. Baker. We are expecting the arrival of our new Tesla just prior to December 23rd and then we head for Brian Head Utah but on our way there we must pass by the only Teddy B outlet store in the U.S. It will take incredible will power not to stop in Vegas and hand over a month's car payment on some oh so fine treads!

One of my German convertibles will have to leave the garage - thinking of keeping it at my Mom's house though as she's got an empty space, and a 2005 CLK 500 isn't worth much on the used market. Still a fun car. The 944S2 cabrio takes up less space and is prettier, so it's staying I think.

Giving up having a dirty garage too - been cleaning it for a week, just put a coat of primer on the bare wood, paint will look so much better.

I had ONE rule: the car can not change our lifestyle. No ands/ifs or buts. Period.

It took forever for me to buy the car. We could afford it, but I couldn't justify it. My wife, the enabler, kept telling me to shut up and buy it. She was also advocating for the 85D instead of the 70D at the time. But if I had a hard time justifying the 70D, I wasn't going to shell out another $10k for 30 miles of range.

Some of my friends look at me and ask me how I could afford such a car?
-They prefer going out to eat for lunch and/or dinner EVERY day of the week. We usually go out once a week, maybe twice at most. I like to grill (all year round, heh...), and my wife cooks. I don't see the point of going out so often
-We have a small/modest size house. But we have a huge backyard for our area. And that's what we like. We try not to spend too much time indoors, we like the outside. I see some of my friends houses, and they're literally 2-3x as big as mine. And their mortgage payment is killing them.
-Those some friends do nothing to pay off their student loans and have a large monthly payment that kills their finances
-Alcohol. Those same friends go to a bar several times a week and run up huge tabs drinking and hanging out. When we do drink, it's generally at home, because it's 10x cheaper
-Some people change cars every 2-3 years. I kept my last car for 10 years, and I would've kept it longer. I loved it. If they still made it, I would've had a hard time choosing between a newer version of it and the Tesla. Though after owning the Tesla, it's a no brainer. I plan to keep the Tesla until the battery warranty runs out, maybe a little longer.
--I wouldn't give up vacations for a car. I know some people do, but I wouldn't

I used to pay more for my kids preschool and activities than I do for my mortgage, some people think I'm crazy too (and I might be); but everyone chooses how and where to spend their money.

So I think it's more a matter of lifestyle vs. giving things up to afford the car.

I had ONE rule: the car can not change our lifestyle. No ands/ifs or buts. Period.

It took forever for me to buy the car. We could afford it, but I couldn't justify it. My wife, the enabler, kept telling me to shut up and buy it. She was also advocating for the 85D instead of the 70D at the time. But if I had a hard time justifying the 70D, I wasn't going to shell out another $10k for 30 miles of range.

Some of my friends look at me and ask me how I could afford such a car?
-They prefer going out to eat for lunch and/or dinner EVERY day of the week. We usually go out once a week, maybe twice at most. I like to grill (all year round, heh...), and my wife cooks. I don't see the point of going out so often
-We have a small/modest size house. But we have a huge backyard for our area. And that's what we like. We try not to spend too much time indoors, we like the outside. I see some of my friends houses, and they're literally 2-3x as big as mine. And their mortgage payment is killing them.
-Those some friends do nothing to pay off their student loans and have a large monthly payment that kills their finances
-Alcohol. Those same friends go to a bar several times a week and run up huge tabs drinking and hanging out. When we do drink, it's generally at home, because it's 10x cheaper
-Some people change cars every 2-3 years. I kept my last car for 10 years, and I would've kept it longer. I loved it. If they still made it, I would've had a hard time choosing between a newer version of it and the Tesla. Though after owning the Tesla, it's a no brainer. I plan to keep the Tesla until the battery warranty runs out, maybe a little longer.
--I wouldn't give up vacations for a car. I know some people do, but I wouldn't

I used to pay more for my kids preschool and activities than I do for my mortgage, some people think I'm crazy too (and I might be); but everyone chooses how and where to spend their money.

So I think it's more a matter of lifestyle vs. giving things up to afford the car.
I plan on seeing just how close to "unlimited" I can go in my 8 years of battery warranty.