Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you give up to afford a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house will now be paid off in 10 years instead of 9. I'm retiring in about 11 years, so that is making it cut a little close.

The reality is that the Tesla (along with some great vacations each year) was really made possible by my kid going to public school instead of private school. She is 8 and speaks Japanese reasonably well at this point. We are even taking a 2 week vacation to Japan in the spring. Thank you Waddell Language Academy (a CMS public magnet school).

Waddell Language Academy - Charlotte, North carolina - NC - School overview

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, I also had to clean out the garage and move stuff to storage for the next 8-9 mos. I guess I am also giving up $95/mo to pay for storage. Btw, this MS is my wife's idea and her car. It took her awhile to convince me to order one. I was fine with the two vehicles we have and happy about not having car payments.

Giving up having a dirty garage too - been cleaning it for a week, just put a coat of primer on the bare wood, paint will look so much better.
Yeah, same here. I'm going to have to clear out a lot of junk and rearrange a bunch of stuff in order to fit even the smaller Model 3 alongside my wife's van in the garage. This is based on Motor Trend's estimated dimensions.

Reactions: OBX John
Have been following Tesla since 2006, just after the Roadster was announced. Put away $100 a week for an electric car never thinking I could afford a Tesla and kept increasing the amount as my salary could manage it. Then my partner caught the bug and started to match my savings.
In Australia you can start an offset account that reduces the interest on you mortgage by offsetting your savings balance against your mortgage balance, this saved a bunch of money once the savings balance got to a reasonable size.
No cable TV, no overseas holidays except one in 2012 to go to the Get Amped test drive, reduced eating out to once or twice a week, kept my previous car for 15 years, plus a bunch of other minor things.
After 6 years of savings and no other EVs in sight, my partner commented, why don't we just get a Tesla.
Only had to say it once and we ended up paying cash in late 2014.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
My jaw hit the floor that someone's response included two words synonymous with my own personal weakness... Ted. Baker. We are expecting the arrival of our new Tesla just prior to December 23rd and then we head for Brian Head Utah but on our way there we must pass by the only Teddy B outlet store in the U.S. It will take incredible will power not to stop in Vegas and hand over a month's car payment on some oh so fine treads!
Actually there's a TB outlet in Cabazon near Palm Springs. That's normally where I've done all my damage. Especially with the superchargers there in the same outlet mall.

Traded in my 2015 Corvette for a 2016 Model S 90D and will likely have to push retirement back a year. The Tesla is faster and more comfortable, but I do miss that Corvette engine sound.

I'm a piston engne car enthusiast through and through. (Tesla is for wife...) and my solution to missing the glorious sound of a piston engine in the Tesla is to pipe it in through the sound system. My personal choice for engine sound? Lexus LFA.

I'm a piston engne car enthusiast through and through. (Tesla is for wife...) and my solution to missing the glorious sound of a piston engine in the Tesla is to pipe it in through the sound system. My personal choice for engine sound? Lexus LFA.

I met a guy at a Drive Electric event. He had a sound clip on his phone of an ICE revving. Played it thru the Tesla Model S speakers by Bluetooth.
I'm sure you can do the same or just have MP3 on flash drive and play it like a song.
Get your wife's permission first!

I pretended I had a car payment the last 5 years while driving a hand me down Mazda and I'll actually have a car payment for 5 more.

Also, I haven't had kids yet...but I have 3 motorcycles and my dream car so in the words of EM..."soon"

I sold my dream condo in Daniel Libeskind's L-TOWER
IMG_0927.jpg
on 53rd floor with an unobstructed view of Toronto's
DSC_0679.JPG
CN Tower, Lake Ontario, and the Downtown Financial District
DSC_0678.JPG
24/7 spectacular views that I always referred to as my $2 billion view :)
DSC_0677.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_0988_2.jpg

IMG_1730.JPG

Even though I really miss that condo it makes up for it every time I'm in my Tesla model S 90D

Dream condo for my dream car. Although I wouldn't mind living in my car LOL I did buy another condo in another building that's actually larger than the one I had in L-TOWER. I just don't get that $2 billion view anymore. Que Será Será

Attachments

• DSC_0680.JPG
    DSC_0680.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 36