Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you have before the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2000 Honda Insight sold for Tesla.

So sad to have replaced our 2000 Honda Insight when the roadster came. It was the funky green color [citrus yellow, only produced one year], and it had a 58mpg lifetime average. -Thats mixed city and hwy driving for 105k miles! And it only ever was serviced for oil, tires, and one 02 sensor. I used to take to Home Depot and put 10' conduit out the window....can't do it with the Tesla now.

Here's the irony: now that we have a Tesla, our carbon footprint actually increased! And, the Tesla encourages you to squirt around and drive like an idiot. The Insight encouraged you to 'hypermile' and drive the car extremely efficiently, and safely. I also have a biodiesel work truck [we tow horses], and a minivan for our 3 kids 2years old and under. We really need the Model S since the minivan is the weak link in the fleet, mpg-wise.

Last edited:
...we will need to replace my wife's old 1999 Saturn soon as well. I have hopes that the Model S might work for her...

The idea of owning two cars from the same starter company is especially scary. Add in the way Tesla has been playing fast and loose with contracts, maybe a Tesla -Fisker car family might be more diversified.

Last edited:
... finish figuring out how to pay for the Roadster before I jump on the Model S train.

"Model S train"?
2041105.001.Mini2L.jpg

:smile:

The idea of owning two cars from the same starter company is especially scary. Add in the way Tesla has been playing fast and loose with contracts, maybe a Tesla -Fisker car family might be more diversified.

My future combo for our family is going to be:
1) Tesla Roadster Sport
2) Aptera (pure EV version)
3) Toyota Prius Plug-In (for long range trips)

I was considering the Model S, but having two Tesla vehicles is a bit too much. Although if they get the government loan to produce the Mode S, that will likely guarantee the viability of the company for at least 5 years.

Yes, I agree. We are not going to jump into anything immediately. In the same time frame as the Model S coming to market, I am interested in what Lotus plans for the Evora...

My 1991 Integra did indeed die, and since I'm not getting my Roadster for another 4 months, I had to pick up something else. I've now got a 2003 Jeep Wrangler, which I figure I can drive in the snow instead of subjecting my Roadster to salt and the inevitable getting stuck.

Here she is:

That is beautiful. You could almost keep a similar color pallet with your Roadster.

Not so sure about that 3rd photo. Is that one of those old complicated devices that creates forward motion by fire or something but does not use water to create steam? Aren't there actually little explosions in there?
:redface:

Slightly OT but: I think it's going to be great in some years time when batteries give you thousands of miles of range and the only gasoline engines are those driving heavy equipment; you'll wheel out your 'Gas car' to show your antique collector friends and their children will be astounded to learn that you had to stop every few hundred miles to pour insanely flammable liquid into a plastic tub in the back then pump it mechanically into this thrashing noisy metal contraption at the front that both scares children and kills wildlife.

Ahh, how we’ll chuckle at the insanity of those days and the risks we used to take every day.