Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you look at other than the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you purchased your Model 3 what other cars did you look at and/or test drive? What were your thoughts on those cars?

For me, I looked at the Audi S5 and BMW 530e. Loved loved loved the Audi and I could of gotten it for a great price. The 530e was just kind of boring. I chose the 3 because I knew exactly how I wanted to make it look and the performance.

My previous car was a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. Great solid car and it was super cheap.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Before you purchased your Model 3 what other cars did you look at and/or test drive? What were your thoughts on those cars?

For me, I looked at the Audi S5 and BMW 530e. Loved loved loved the Audi and I could of gotten it for a great price. The 530e was just kind of boring. I chose the 3 because I knew exactly how I wanted to make it look and the performance.

My previous car was a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. Great solid car and it was super cheap.
A Used Model S
Then I looked at the interior of the Model 3 and Model S looked like an old car

Nothing else. We considered a used Prius as a holdover for a few years, but then just bit the bullet a little earlier than planned. For the record, we weren't reservation holders. Just knew this would be the next car. It so happened we were in the market just as the backlog for LR RWD cleared and before AWD and P came online (summer 2018).

Would never have spent close to this amount of money on an ICE.

Background: Millennial just out of college driving a 2002 Toyota Corolla before my Model 3. Cared very little about autopilot or FSD because I'd like to drive my expensive car thank you very much. Also did a lot of AI in school and found it was too bleeding edge to trust my life on a NN to drive me around.

I really wanted an EV because my company provides free charging so even though I don't have charging in my apartment complex I'd be getting more than enough juice from work. Living in NorCal also means superchargers galore. BASICALLY- charging isn't just NOT a problem even though I live in an apartment but favorable for me.

I was really close to buying a Chevy Bolt and I think if I were shopping today I'd probably get one (they're going for ~25k before incentives now in NorCal). I ended up not buying the Bolt because of the lack of fast chargers between LA and Norcal. That'll probably change very soon though with Electrify America building out their network.

Also considered the Kia/Hyundai EVs (Niro, Kona, Soul) but those had their own problems, mainly the dealerships were really scummy about selling them.

I think all the cars above use the same family of drivetrain/batteries from LG chem. I have no idea how they fare on the long term while Tesla has a pretty well established history with their battery degradation curves.

I didn't even look at Nissan LEAF since to me there's basically no battery cooling which is a big no-no for California and the regular heat waves we now get statewide.

The only ICE I looked at was the Volt which I got a quote on. Started negotiating, GM suddenly axes the car and the dealer goes "these are gonna become collectable so we're gonna up our offer" all the other PHEVs seemed like half-baked compliance cars.

Now driving the 35k base model 3. I screwed up my excel sheet on calculating my loan payments which made the cost seem much higher than what I have today. I think I would have just paid for SR+ had I done my math correctly.

Fun side note: My Corolla was also built at the fremont factory under Toyota/GM back in 2001.

Reactions: stirgeon
M3/M4, 911. After coming from the bike world (Ducati V4/track days), my dream cars of late just didn't do it for me anymore.

Going electric was just the change I wanted... my M3P feels like a damn spaceship and I love it. I think the other cars look better, but they felt so antiquated after test driving the Model 3.

-Free charging at work
-carpool lane duty for the SO commute (sometimes..)
-space ship

Reactions: hcdavis3
I’m coming from a genesis g80, I had a deposit on a custom factory painted VW golf R but the wait was 6 months and is actually slightly more expensive than my m3 awd

Also looked at the new soul eV, the genesis g70 and a Volvo Xc 40. I know, All over the place. I’ve loved the 3 since it debuted and was a day one reservation holder.

Forgot to add. Test drive the new Mazda 3 hatch. Really amazing interior (at its price), I love the exterior too but soooooooo underpowered compared to almost anything.

Considered another Model S but didn't feel we need two and found the size of the Model 3 outside and inside good for my daily local driving. Partially also drawn by all the new tech in the Model 3. I was a bit concerned I might have regrets but don't. Really do love driving it and just being in it. Do wish it came with bio defense mode though.

I'd kept my old car if I didn't "want" a Model 3, so the answer is nothing. Had a Passat, great interior room for ferrying my kids around and by all accounts, very safe. I wish Model 3 had more knee room in the back seat. Didn't want to pay for S or X.