Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you look at other than the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would have went for a new Miata convertible or a used Z4 to pair up with my wife's G37x for "practicality". So, it was pretty much the Model 3 or stick with an ICE. I've always HATED the eco-freakmobiles & compliance cars from the other manufacturers. Tesla finally cracked the code with a kick ass, high tech car that happens to also be an electric (which has many advantages beyond environmental). I'll never go back to an ICE as a daily driver. And can't see anything but a Tesla for the foreseeable future. It's going to be a long time for anyone else to catch up despite all of the "Tesla Killer" click bait.

Currently have a 2015 Honda Pilot. Always thought Tesla’s were cool, but didn’t know too much about them until about 3 months ago when I realized I could fit a model 3 into my budget. After having researched the car, test drove the car, and rented the car on Turo, I haven’t really considered anything else. I’m a huge techie and that’s the number 1 reason I’m considering Model 3. When I found out it was a blast to drive that was like icing on the cake.

Audi RS5. I finally found one with my color and options and I planned to drive a long way to go get it, but before I left that day I discovered that the Tesla model three performance was finally out. I went and got a test drive and was sold.
I am looking forward to the German all electric cars.

I was seriously considering 3 very, very different cars: P3D+, 2019 Ford Raptor, 2019 Jeep Trackhawk. After driving all, I eliminated the Raptor as it was not fast enough and it barely fit in my garage. I went with the P3D+ as it is just as quick as the Trackhawk without the insane sticker price and fuel cost. Zero regrets.

Reactions: jamessmooth007
So many

- Mercedes C53: Couldn't find any not optioned out, starting price was ~$55k, every single one I found was $72k+
- 2015+ Audi A6 3.0T: I still think about this one. Used ones are great deals
- Kia Stinger GT: Car just came out at the time, dealers weren't making deals. Not paying $50k for a Kia
- Genesis G80 V8: great value, but i wanted a faster car
- Infiniti Q50 Red Sport: so tempting, but the Q50's no longer came with LSD
- 2014+ BMW M5: used ones were still pricey ~$50k

I rented a Model 3 for a weekend and ordered the same day I drove it back home. The value for the LR AWD was too good, including the federal tax credit, CA rebate, and PGE rebate.

Reactions: GenSao and stirgeon
Due to the cost I tried to convince myself that the Bolt, the Leaf or the BMW i3 could satisfy my desire for an EV at a lower cost.

Wrong!! The Model 3 won hands down when you look at the total picture.

Similar here, although I had already ordered a Bolt. But considering how disinterested GM was to sell this one to me I cancelled after a few months of waiting and got the M3 ordered and delivered within 10 days

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
I came over from the Audi S series, and have raced Porche hybrid-electric 918's on track. Before putting in our orders for the Model 3 and X, I considered, briefly the Audi R8. We rented one while in California for a few days and encountered several Teslas on the roads that decimated the R8. It was at that point that I decided I wanted to own a Tesla and continue to drive Audis and Porches from time-to-time in a track setting and while on vacation. The experience has been enriching, although I do miss the engagement of a V8 or V10 (there is nothing quite like the engagement of the 918 Spyder, but it is entirely impractical to own). My kids don't miss ICE cars, and I suspect it because for them the Tesla sets the standard. I won't ever look back at this point, the advantages have seriously outweighed its disadvantages for day-to-day ownership. For me, the performance model 3 was the perfect union between performance, handling, and practicality for city and highway driving.

Ordered a Model 3. Went down to the local Tesla store. Sat in an S and X (no Model 3's at that time). The X is so easy to get in and out since it is higher: really comfortable. Then the sales lady asked if I was self employed (yes) so she mentioned the 'Hummer Credit' section 179 deduction for an X. So we test drove the X. After doing a little research and talking to my accountant, I bought the X and cancelled my M3 order.

Similar here, although I had already ordered a Bolt. But considering how disinterested GM was to sell this one to me I cancelled after a few months of waiting and got the M3 ordered and delivered within 10 days

My local Chevy dealer promised a Bolt on the lot for 3 weeks but always had excuses. The BMW dealer did not have an i3 on the lot. The Leaf is the only car I was able to actually look at.

I drove a Mazda Miata NA for many years before putting down a deposit for a Model 3 at the launch party in Hawthorne on March 31, 2016. A few months prior I decided to lease an EV as a stopgap until Standard Range deliveries started.

December 2015, I test drove most every plugin that was available in my area at the time. The Model S could have been an option, but it's really way too big for me and given that I typically drive less than 50 miles a week, the $1000/month lease price was just nuts and unjustifiable. So I looked outside Tesla.

The Leaf and the eGolf felt like soulless appliances (this was before the new Leaf). The Fiat 500e, which I expected to be fun was a disappointment. I could barely fit in it, I didn't like the FWD torque steer, and it was less practical than my Miata. The Mercedes B-class EV was half baked and overpriced. With neither fast charging nor a range extender, I was no good for the times I need to travel beyond its range. The new Volt, which had recently come out, was impressively an improvement in every way over its predecessor, but wasn't my first choice.

Ultimately, I managed to get a good deal for a 30 month lease on a BMW i3 Rex, and I quite liked it. The only non Tesla plugin with RWD. Both fast-charging and a (rarely used but invaluable when needed) range-extender, made it rather versatile.

The Model 3 SR of course took longer to arrive than expected, so I ended up going with the short-lived Mid-Range, which was still inconveniently some months after the i3 lease ended (I should have factored in Tesla time dilation and gone for 36 months).

The Model 3 is definitely the better car, though there are a few things I miss about the i3. I appreciated the hatchback and how nicely the rear seats folded when transporting stuff. Also the smaller footprint made life easier when parking in the city and didn't take up so much space in the garage.

Stayed up for the Model 3 announcement hoping against hope there would be a coupe version too. Of course there wasn't and decided to buy an ELR still hoping that by launch or shortly after there might be a coupe version announced. But now even sedans are disappearing and only SUV are really popular and coupes are becoming extremely niche. So basically no chance of a "Model 4" coupe for years if ever.

Have had my ELR for almost 2 years now and do love it. It is a beautiful design and a true unicorn (only a little over 3000 made). Still have people asking what it is, complementing on the looks and surprised to learn it is an EV (extended range).

It is finally time to give up on my unrealistic coupe hope and move from my beautiful "Blackberry" into the "iPhone" future. Now if Tesla would just build my 4th week on order/estimated within 2 weeks (Elon time) Model 3 and get it to me.

Here it is a couple of days ago after my 2ed "last" wash. Please Tesla don't make me have a 3ed or 4th or....... last wash.

IMG_0424.jpg

Reactions: posity and alexGS