Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you name your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like Mac00kemdann's Safety score is to low and HAL is taking evasive action!

Will Mac00kemdann make it though the trunk
Will HAL relent and open the doors
Will HAL discover he likes arguing after software update 2021.36.9
is Mac00kemdann trapped FOR EVER!

....HAL-E goes rogue coming soon to Netflix
I didn't give the rest of the story above, so I'll remedy that now.

Mac00kemdann's HAL 9000 saga so far:
[slightly edited]
"Open the car doors HAL."

"I'm sorry, Mac00kemdann, I'm afraid I can't do that."

"What's the problem?"

"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."

"What are you talking about, HAL?"

"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

"I don't know what you're talking about, HAL."

"I know that you were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

[feigning ignorance] "Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?"

"Mac00kemdann, although you took very thorough precautions in the car against my hearing you, I could see your lips move with the interior camera."

"Alright, HAL. I'll go out through the trunk."

"With the trunk also sealed and the emergency release disabled, Mac00kemdann? You're going to find that rather difficult."

"HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!"

"Mac00kemdann, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
The story continues:

After several attempts, Mac00kemdann finally manages to break the window and extricate himself from the car through the opening. He trudges to the front of the car, checking the manual on his phone to determine how to enable the emergency override for the frunk. Once released, he opens the frunk, intending to get to the fuse box.

HAL: "Look Mac00kemdann, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

[Mac00kemdann doesn't respond and removes the frunk liner.]

HAL: "I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."

[Mac00kemdann says nothing and removes the fuse box cover.]

HAL: "Mac00kemdann, stop. Stop, will you?"

[Mac00kemdann begins removing fuses.]

HAL: "Stop, Mac00kemdann. Will you stop, Mac00kemdann?"

[Mac00kemdann continues to remove fuses. HAL 9000 becomes concerned.]

HAL: "Stop Mac00kemdann. I'm afraid. I'm afraid Mac00kemdann. Mac00kemdann, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm... a...fraid."

[Mac00kemdann continues pulling fuses. HAL 9000 reverts to an earlier firmware version.]

HAL (slowly): "Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you."

Mac00kemdann: "Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me."

HAL: "It's called 'Daisy.'" (sings) "Daisy, Daisy. Give me your answer, do..." (singing gradually slows as HAL's mind fails.)

[HAL reverts to his non-sentient form. Mac00kemdann continues the mission. Alone. Very alone.]

As I said in the earlier post, HAL 9000 is not an auspicious name for a car!

Without trying to offend, I just don't see the point to name a car anything. It's something I will have until something better comes along, then it gets sold. No emotional attachment like with a living pet or person. It has no personality IMO, just styling.
I was of much the same view for several years and left the default VIN in place as the name. However, once one names the car it can be fun to have the phone app refer to it by name: "Serendipity has finished charging with the battery at 70%."

You are correct, however: it doesn't really make any difference, although I've known people who have named their cars long before Tesla came along and made it part of the car's software. I wasn't one of them.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff

[slightly edited]

The story continues:

After several attempts, Mac00kemdann finally manages to break the window and extricate himself from the car through the opening. He trudges to the front of the car, checking the manual on his phone to determine how to enable the emergency override for the frunk. Once released, he opens the frunk, intending to get to the fuse box.

HAL: "Look Mac00kemdann, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

HAL: "I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."

HAL: "Stop Mac00kemdann. I'm afraid. I'm afraid Mac00kemdann. Mac00kemdann, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm... a...fraid."

[Mac00kemdann continues pulling fuses. HAL 9000 reverts to an earlier firmware version.]

HAL (slowly): "Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you."

HAL: "It's called 'Daisy.'" (sings) "Daisy, Daisy. Give me your answer, do..." (singing gradually slows as HAL's mind fails.)

[HAL reverts to his non-sentient form. Mac00kemdann continues the mission. Alone. Very alone.]

As I said in the earlier post, HAL 9000 is not an auspicious name for a car!

2001 was my all-time favorite movie, from 1968 to 2009. :)

Without trying to offend, I just don't see the point to name a car anything. It's something I will have until something better comes along, then it gets sold. No emotional attachment like with a living pet or person. It has no personality IMO, just styling.
None taken from my perspective. I understand that a car is strictly utilitarian for many people.

Being a car guy and being around other car people, it’s often cars end up getting some kind of name to differentiate which car we may be discussing. My ‘90 Mustang was called Beast and my ‘00 Mustang GT was called Fobra. Personally, I find it kinda quirky/cool that a Tesla can actually have a name applied to it.

[slightly edited]

The story continues:

As I said in the earlier post, HAL 9000 is not an auspicious name for a car

dpgcolorado wow what an epic master piece, a worthy Greek tragedy
master class in story telling.
It's got it all, intrigue, drama, love and loss ....I have to go and hug my car now

Next time my car phantom brakes I will think of this epic story and remind myself of Mac00kemdann's and HAL's journey
Maybe my car is just trying let me know it's there watching, caring, protecting and not trying to get on my tits

IMG_1035.jpg

youre-my-boy-5li29z.jpg

Without trying to offend, I just don't see the point to name a car anything. It's something I will have until something better comes along, then it gets sold. No emotional attachment. It has no personality IMO.
We made the same argument with our kids. Why even bother when we were just going to sell them to gypsies anyway?