Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you park next to? (Or what makes the Roadster look tiny?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but before Bing Street there was a different industrial building in the same general area. I can't find the address in my email archive. I visited there in May, 2005. I remember that Martin was particularly proud of a motor test stand that JB and the team had built from surplus parts they had scrounged up. I also remember seeing an early battery sheet design that was much different from the eventual production version.

I also got a tour of that building back in that era, pre Tesla start of production.
When you look at the highly efficient, well organized Fremont factory of today, it is amazing to think back to the "hodge podge" chaos (in hindsight) of the early days trying to build a car company from scratch by a bunch of silicon valley engineers who didn't have previous car company experience. It was more "mad scientist R&D lab" and not yet a product company back then.

This was picture was taken a while back during a Roadster Meetup at Alice's. Pretty cool to see one of these in the wild.
Roadster meetup pic.jpg
Roadster meetup pic 2.jpg

I love shiny...

but the improved braking is a potential lifesaver.

i'm on the list for orders in this batch. :D

what i hoped for was a floating disc design. not completely sure, but doesn't look like either radial or axial float is built in.

more important if you're tracking the car, but with the weight of the roadster and cooling systems . . . not the best usage, so more nice to have vs. must have

Last edited:
IMG_20200522_133816.jpg

does a vineyard count?

Fogline in Santa Rosa has 2 80A Destination Chargers behind their facility - CAN SR FTW!!

IMG_20200522_133752.jpg

on a side-note, after the 140 mile round trip, my CAC dropped from 150.75 to 149.7! :eek:

maybe it's the spring / summer heat?

ive noticed that as well...when after a roadtrip CAC drops. is that accurate?

You might say it’s more accurate than ever. That means the car is getting an accurate read on its capacity after being utilized. I’ve found that most high CAC’s, especially nowadays as we approach 9-12 years of age on our packs, simply mean the car hasn’t been driven enough to balance out (or very low mileage).

• Informative
Reactions: Bunnak and ra88it
simply mean the car hasn’t been driven enough to balance out

Yes, I have the same experience. I bought my roadster 2 years ago. Car didn't drive a lot the last few years with former owner. In the first couple of months the cac dropped aprox 10 points. In the last 2 years (driving 25k km) cac dropped less than 5 points.

Based on my limited observation, the CAC does drop after a road trip. My theory is that when I'm driving close to home, the SOC rarely ever dips below 50% SOC. But on a road trip, I sometimes stretch down to 10% SOC to get to my destination or charger. When the SOC goes lower, the car now has more data to calculate the CAC.

So my theory is that the health of the battery slowly gets worse and worse, but car doesn't have enough data to calculate the CAC correctly. And when you go on a road trip, you're not degrading your battery all at once, you're just giving the car more data to calculate a more accurate CAC. The actual health of the battery has been slowly degrading but the car didn't have enough data to calculate or display it.

That's my theory anyway. Any comments or feedback? Does the road trip actually degrade the battery, or just improves the accuracy of the CAC?