Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I actually get _today_ for "Enhanced Autopilot?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent this and a similar text to customer service four days ago. I have not received a response from either. Seems they don't want to put things in writing.

Harmony,

I have a question for you. What "Enhancements" did I purchase when I chose to get the EAP feature. I'd like a thorough list. Ive had my car 8 months today yet, I don't have Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers, highway exit and interchange driving, it doesn't read speed limit signs, the Ultrasonic Sensors don't see vehicles in the next lane, the Audible Forward Collision Warning rarely provides alerts. The car doesn't see pedestrians, motorcycles or bicyclists, Summon won't climb the very slight grade of my driveway, and I don't think the touted four cameras are all being used. My car was delivered with virtually no AP2 options functional. I've received several over the air upgrades, which are nice but, much has still not been delivered. What did I buy?

I'm very upset that the one second performance software upgrade has not, and apparently will not, be sent to my NEW S75D, even though it has the AP2 hardware. Why is my car not considered a NEW S75D when it has yet to receive all the options I purchased? The August Tesla Newsletter states all NEW S & X 75's will receive over the air performance upgrades.

You did me a disservice by not informing me that some options, not considered self driving, could be many months or I guess years, from being activated on my Tesla. I'm enjoying what the car is but, not having a pleasant purchase/new car experience. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Tesla Support.

I can't recommend to my friends that they purchase a Tesla. Is Tesla delivering the new Model 3 with these same shortcomings. I believe I was deceived when I purchased my car. Will Tesla continue misleading prospective buyers?

Please provide a comprehensive list of options included in EAP, AP2, Summon and what additional enhancements I might expect in the future.

I don't like being disgruntled but, what started as disappointment and frustration has, over all these months, festered into a very rare and intense anger.

Respectfully

Otto Merz

Again, Tesla hasn't seen fit to respond.

Hey Folks,

Here's what I think I know (please correct where inaccurate):
  1. All new cars have the same hardware. The fee merely activates features, pre-order (cheaper) or after delivery (more expensive

I don't know if this is new or not, but EAP on the custom build section of the site now states that FSD has 8 cameras. However in the last 2 weeks of reading the forums it appears everyone here is stating FSD is just a license upgrade. With the AP2.5 did more camera's get added as well?

I could be way off here, just trying to put together all the info since I just ordered a MS 75D.

upload_2017-8-23_15-7-53.png

...8 cameras...

Well, if you read Electrek, it says "Seven".

Most likely, that's an typo.

Model 3 AP2.1 has an interior camera but I wouldn't count that for the purpose of road condition monitoring/TeslaVision.

It might be there to babysit driver or to document any vandalism from riders when driverless Tesla Network will be activated.

I am not sure whether more expensive S and X would have that extra camera just yet.

Model 3 AP2.1 has an interior camera but I wouldn't count that for the purpose of road condition monitoring/TeslaVision.

It might be there to babysit driver or to document any vandalism from riders when driverless Tesla Network will be activated.

I am not sure whether more expensive S and X would have that extra camera just yet.

If I had to comment on why an interior camera, I think it is in event of lawsuit. Easier to prove the driver was or was not paying attention in case of an accident with recordings from an interior camera.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid and Tam
I don't know if this is new or not, but EAP on the custom build section of the site now states that FSD has 8 cameras. However in the last 2 weeks of reading the forums it appears everyone here is stating FSD is just a license upgrade. With the AP2.5 did more camera's get added as well?

I could be way off here, just trying to put together all the info since I just ordered a MS 75D.

View attachment 243339

It doesn't have additional cameras. It has additional activated cameras for FSD. The 8 cameras are in your car, dormant, regardless if you buy it.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP

My understanding is the 8 camera configuration is AP HW 2.5 (on model 3s) AP HW 2.1 is the 7 camera configuration which has been shipping with Ss and Xs for a while. If and when Ss and Xs get AP HW 2.5 hasn't been announced. I think they will want the same sensor suite on all 3 models eventually.

So in essence, is EAP worth the 5K/6K today?

I can echo with dmode with a definite yes!

I was doing fine with my classic 2012 Model S and I wouldn't buy another Tesla until the AP2 and its promise of self-driving.

It is no way perfect but I can quickly learn what work and what don't and adapt to it.

I used to be grouchy in bad traffic but AP2 has made me a much happier driver!

dmode and Tam, very happy to hear your comments. I'm purchasing a 75D now and am interested in the EAP feature for my highway commute. I've seen quite a few youtube videos stating that navigating in dense highway traffic has been made much less frustrating with EAP. I may pull the trigger on this option when I get my car. Thanks for sharing.

Each version has been different. 17.17.4 that I got in May was the best imho. It was a little jerky on sweeping turns, but it stayed in the lane in some challenging conditions and was good in stop n go. Since then lane maintenance has definitely gone downhill and it will depart lanes (basically change lanes) if there are tar lines, scratches or other distractions on the roadway. Just yesterday my car completely departed lanes at 70 MPH on what I thought was an ok road. I had my hands on the wheel and saved it, but was super surprised. Now I won't use autosteer on this version again. But, it is better on turns and less jerky in stop n go than the previous version.

I guess what I'm getting at is that in May I would have said it was worth the money, but now it's basically worthless to me. But then next month it might be worth it again! That's the blessing and curse of the software updates.

The parallel parking works good. Perpendicular parking is hilarious. Summon only goes forward and backward in a straight line for a max of 30'. It is sometimes useful in odd situations. The traffic aware cruise control is helpful but it does sometimes slam on the brakes for no reason so you have to be aware of that. That's getting way better though.

I don't regret getting EAP but it's definitely betting on the come. Right now it's nowhere close to worth what they're asking, but in the future it could be worth way more than what they're asking. Who knows? But for sure, don't believe any of the marketing stuff. They pass off way too many ambitions as eventualities. Eventually we may have all the features listed, but no one (even Tesla) knows if or when.

I sent this and a similar text to customer service four days ago. I have not received a response from either. Seems they don't want to put things in writing.

Harmony,

I have a question for you. What "Enhancements" did I purchase when I chose to get the EAP feature. I'd like a thorough list. Ive had my car 8 months today yet, I don't have Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers, highway exit and interchange driving, it doesn't read speed limit signs, the Ultrasonic Sensors don't see vehicles in the next lane, the Audible Forward Collision Warning rarely provides alerts. The car doesn't see pedestrians, motorcycles or bicyclists, Summon won't climb the very slight grade of my driveway, and I don't think the touted four cameras are all being used. My car was delivered with virtually no AP2 options functional. I've received several over the air upgrades, which are nice but, much has still not been delivered. What did I buy?

I'm very upset that the one second performance software upgrade has not, and apparently will not, be sent to my NEW S75D, even though it has the AP2 hardware. Why is my car not considered a NEW S75D when it has yet to receive all the options I purchased? The August Tesla Newsletter states all NEW S & X 75's will receive over the air performance upgrades.

You did me a disservice by not informing me that some options, not considered self driving, could be many months or I guess years, from being activated on my Tesla. I'm enjoying what the car is but, not having a pleasant purchase/new car experience. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Tesla Support.

I can't recommend to my friends that they purchase a Tesla. Is Tesla delivering the new Model 3 with these same shortcomings. I believe I was deceived when I purchased my car. Will Tesla continue misleading prospective buyers?

Please provide a comprehensive list of options included in EAP, AP2, Summon and what additional enhancements I might expect in the future.

I don't like being disgruntled but, what started as disappointment and frustration has, over all these months, festered into a very rare and intense anger.

Respectfully

Otto Merz

Again, Tesla hasn't seen fit to respond.
I have received a reply. It provided zero information and did not address my questions.

I thought it was to make sure no one was using it as a driverless Uber vehicle. I'm sure that's been a real sore point within Tesla.
:rolleyes:
I read a very interesting article... which I can try to locate... that laid out a very convincing case that the car's interior is designed to support its ability to be a driverless Uber.

One of the points it made was that the interior camera could be there to support the ability to record activity inside the cabin when it's being used in that way, such as activities that could cause damage to the car; there could be a record of that damage caused by an occupant.

It also suggested that this is the reason for almost all controls being centralized in the touchscreen, where access to them can be controlled based on a user's profile (owner vs customer).