Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I need to safely do my own tire rotations.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually I just take my cars / trucks to discount. But those guys can't even rotate tires without losing / stealing valve stem caps so I'm not sure I trust them to properly jack up a tesla.

I have a bunch of jacks 4 ton hydraulic, 1.5 ton lifted jack for the RzR working in the sand. And a 5 ton bottle jack but I don't think any of them are low enough to do the model 3.

Also do I need some sorta special jack stands as well? I don't think the ones I have will work.

I also don't want to spend a fortune as I have seen some expensive options out there but if I must I must?

Reactions: remlemasi
The only jacking points shown in the manual are behind the front tires and in front of the rear tires. There are jack pads available on eBay that fit in the jack holes with magnets to hold in place. Those that have changed their tires say that you can lift the car high enough with hydraulic jack to get both tires on one side off the ground to rotate.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
The only jacking points shown in the manual are behind the front tires and in front of the rear tires. There are jack pads available on eBay that fit in the jack holes with magnets to hold in place. Those that have changed their tires say that you can lift the car high enough with hydraulic jack to get both tires on one side off the ground to rotate.

Thanks, so I just need a single low profile jack from harbor freight or the like? I remember seeing another setup where you could jack up the car, and the jack stand was part of the jack setup? I think it was expensive though.

Nothing wrong with Discount. I took mine there in the summer for a rotation. Not the first Model 3 they had seen and they'd done plenty Model S rotations. Took 10-15 minutes once they had it in the bay and everything looked like it went fine from the waiting room window. No damage I can see. But even if there were some scratches underneath, I don't think I'd notice or care.

Reactions: cmalinowski
That quickjack looks amazing. I hate having something else to store but man that thing would make things like brakes and rotations easier. Almost makes me want to have a need to work on the brakes...
If you push it together it’ll fit under the car unless the car is lowered.

I plan to get brackets and stack it on the side wall.

But if I do get it then I have no excuse not to diy everything

QuickJack looks amazing. Maybe I can get one after I build a shed. I'm out of space in the house and garage right now though.

The Jackpoint is what I was thinking of, I was going to put this stuff on a christmas list but I guess the waiting list kills that idea. Looks a bit easier to store than the QuickJack. I'll still need to figure out where I ca even put a 4th low profile jack in my tiny garage though.

I'm using two low profile jacks from Harbor Freight - the heavy low profile ones that are around $80. I already had one and got a second one to do the Model 3 rotations. This way I can do a rearward cross.

Made my own "hockey puck" jack pads.

First rotation will be this weekend...

Reactions: mspohr
I just rotated my Model 3 tires. With the right gear, it's super easy. Did it in my garage in about 30 min. Here's all the stuff I got:

breaker bar
https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-15356-2-Inch-24-Inch-Breaker/dp/B00MWVAUT6

socket
https://smile.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-21121-Drive-Socket/dp/B01NC1SDAU

torque wrench
https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-203-5/dp/B00C5ZL0RU

jack pad
Tesla

floor jack
1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®

Not sure if you're addressing the 19" tires or the 18". The 18" are non-directional, so I'm not sure how you'd rotate in a cross pattern with 1 jack and no stands.

Not sure if you're addressing the 19" tires or the 18". The 18" are non-directional, so I'm not sure how you'd rotate in a cross pattern with 1 jack and no stands.

I do have the 18s. I did not cross. Still debating if I ever need that given the even wear I noted. I've chatted with mechanic friends about this before and there's a concensus that for RWD M3, it's WAY more important to do front-back due to how fast the rear tires wear. Indeed my rears were quite worn compared to the fronts, which were still measuring at new tread depth. 9k miles at the time of the rotation.

I also have a RWD Model S with directional tires that obviously can't cross, but because the wear is very even, it's been a non-issue.