Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Unpilot

Sell order in at $5999.99
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2017
A Coast
I am soon to be a Tesla owner and coming from a Chevy Volt I wonder what I need for home charging.
I have a Bosch 240 volt level 2 charger in my garage now for the volt. I assume the plug on the cord will not work on the Tesla. I have a electrician friend I will ask to install what is needed to make the unit work with the Tesal.

So what is needed? Just a new cord and plug?

Thanks

Well that is good news..thanks!
I have put down a deposit on a CPO car but after I did that I found a pretty sweet deal on a 2016 90d with the new front end.

If I can make it work I might have to eat the deposit to go for the non CPO car.

To clarify a little more, @Unpilot , the charging station for your Volt is not unique to Chevy Volts. It uses a handle called J1772, which is the common standard for public charging stations in North America, which is why Tesla includes an adapter for it.

Do you have the original gray round Bosch? If so it will work but be very slow. The Volt is painfully slow even charging on 240. That Bosch can only supply barely a tick more than the max the Volt is capable of charging at.

Maybe have your electrical friend set you up with a 15/40 and use the UMC that comes with the car. No adapter is needed then. You’ll be much happier.

Maybe have your electrical friend set you up with a 15/40 and use the UMC that comes with the car. No adapter is needed then. You’ll be much happier.
@Unpilot So that you know what he's talking about, he means "14-50". It is a type of outlet--the kinds used by the big mobile homes at RV parks. Look here if you want to find out about outlet types:
NEMA connector - Wikipedia
But the point is that the mobile charge cable that comes with the car can use adapters for different kinds of outlets. An electric clothes dryer outlet could work too. That is called a 14-30. Here is a link to some of the adapters Tesla sells for their charge cable:
Model S/X NEMA Adapters

But the main point he was getting at is that the existing wall unit you have for your Volt is probably on a pretty low level of circuit because that's all a Volt could make use of. You might want a faster charging speed with a Tesla.

Thanks for the reply's...as it turns out I may keep the volt...my GF love's it!
So I will probably just use the SC that is 6 miles from my house.

The link's are great if I decide I want to put in a second charger.