Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do if I need new battery in my model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have a 2014 model S P85 and everything is running well. I am really enjoying owning and driving the car. My warranty is running out in September and I am really getting worried about owning the car without the battery warranty. My concern is getting a parasitic cell in the car and losing most my charge ability. This would mean the car would only charge to 20% or so. If that happens I will need a new battery which is 16-20K. Considering that is 2/3 the value of the car I was wondering what people do if that happens. I know Gruber can fix it for 5K but that is across the country for me. Has anyone ever traded in a model S to tesla with a parasitic battery and what value did they get?

Hopefully you will have many more years without a problem, like most owners. However, stuff happens. The cost should start dropping, and even now you can be back on the road with ReCell (https://recell-ev.com/) and some others (057 Technology, etc.) for about $8K instead of $20K. Still a bunch of money, but just a really major repair and loss of use for a time. I am very interested in this topic as well. I hope people respond with the value of the S with a non-functioning battery. The parts and even the dead battery are worth quite a bit. I probably would "trade" mine in with a failed battery. My question would be whether it is worth it to pay for a repair and then sell the car, or just sell it as is with the dead battery. Also, if I had a fairly major wreck, I would ask the insurance company to buy the car from me at its value just before the wreck so that I could just replace it. This would be true for me with any car since I generally buy new every 3 or 4 years anyway -- with a few exceptions. .

Yeah that’s a great idea. They offer a 2 year warranty for 2k. At first I was thinking it’s a lot but it’s really around 100$ a month. I guess something like that would give me the peace of mind that my car won’t become a really expensive paperweight.

80k km is about 50k miles; 4 years is what is generally reported.
$15,360 CAD would be $12k US.
Perhaps 5% VAT thrown in?
Sounds normal for a refurb battery. (Now availability of refurb does seem to be an issue but Canada is like a whole nother country with different consumer protection laws and perhaps different policies/priorities).

Reactions: Rocky_H
Sounds normal for a refurb battery. (Now availability of refurb does seem to be an issue but Canada is like a whole nother country with different consumer protection laws and perhaps different policies/priorities).
Bwahahaha. Canada IS a whole 'nother country. But we all knew what you meant in context.😅

Oops I was thinking 80k miles, 80k KM does make sense.
From what I read on here the 4 year warranty only comes with a new pack.

From what I read on here the 4 year warranty only comes with a new pack.
I’ve seen others say this as well, but according to Tesla’s parts warranty, replacement batteries are warrantied for 4 years or 50k miles when replaced after the original warranty. Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see anything differentiating between new and reman. When replaced during the original warranty, then it is the remainder of the original warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

Reactions: AMPd
I’ve seen others say this as well, but according to Tesla’s parts warranty, replacement batteries are warrantied for 4 years or 50k miles when replaced after the original warranty. Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see anything differentiating between new and reman. When replaced during the original warranty, then it is the remainder of the original warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

You’re right, there is no differentiation.
Wonder why some people were offered a shorter warranty on a used pack.