Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do people use "summon" for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it all the time for:
a) pulling into the garage exactly 12" from the front wall
b) pulling in and out of the garage when I wash the car
c) tight parking spaces when I must use them
d) what someone also mentioned, cleaning the wheels/spokes (21" turbines)
e) when cleaning the garage and driveway, pulling it in and out without having to get in the car
f) Entertainment

Was most useful for me when someone parked very close to my drivers side in a shopping center.

Simply Summoned the car backwards, opened the door and went on my way.

Otherwise I would have needed to get into the passenger side door and climb over the console to get to the drivers seat.

I don't think I can ever have a car without summon again.

We use it to help put the child seat in the car - even normal parking spots don't allow the rear model S door to open 100%
We use it when we are working in the garage and need room. Way easier when you are dirty from working on motorcycles.
We use it for our tight garage often.
We use it at work to park next to the bushes (safe spot with a charger)
We use it randomly once a week.

I am a convert from worthless toy to cool tool.

regarding both puddles and tight spaces, doesn't that require you to still be directly in front of or behind the spot in question? that seems pretty rare for most parking spaces since you're generally coming in at an angle.

Understand that it can be helpful to pull out of a tight space or over puddles though.

1. moving car twice a week for garbage and recycle nights (car is parked in a way that prevents us from rolling the bins out)
2. move it out when I need space working in garage and work clothes are too dirty to sit in car
3. all the things others have mentioned. Rain, puddle, tight parking spot and so on.

especially 1 and 2 have saved me a lot of time over the years. (and saved a lot of wear and tear on the door and driver's seat)

Can I use summon inside a large underground multi-car garage, as in an apartment building? That is, can summon successfully navigate out of a parking space and make a couple of turns and then drive about 200 feet to where I am standing?

I think you have been watching the Tesla promo video on "future" of summoning. Right now, "summoning" pretty much just move the car forward or backward about 20 to 30 feet when it works. If you read some of the threads on summoning inside parking structure, you probably won't want to try that. I think the concrete columns sometime confuse summoning and you could hit it even just backing out of the parking space so you have more room to open the door.

It would be nice if there was a setting to force summon to keep the front wheels straight so it never makes a turn if pulling forward or back. It usually does but there are reports of the car steering to avoid a sensed obstruction, colliding with a wall that is outside the sensors range. The front and rear bumpers have sensors but the side of the car between the bumpers don't. If the left front sensors see an obstruction but there is the end a garage wall on the right side center of the car, the car can steer away from the left front obstruction causing the right side to strike the wall. A simple “don't steer while advancing or backing” would eliminate this risk. Of course watching works too. Most of the time I back or advance in a straight line so it would be nice to just disable the steering during summon and not worry about it.

It would be nice if there was a setting to force summon to keep the front wheels straight so it never makes a turn if pulling forward or back. It usually does but there are reports of the car steering to avoid a sensed obstruction, colliding with a wall that is outside the sensors range. The front and rear bumpers have sensors but the side of the car between the bumpers don't. If the left front sensors see an obstruction but there is the end a garage wall on the right side center of the car, the car can steer away from the left front obstruction causing the right side to strike the wall. A simple “don't steer while advancing or backing” would eliminate this risk. Of course watching works too. Most of the time I back or advance in a straight line so it would be nice to just disable the steering during summon and not worry about it.

There are times I line the car up, double-tap Park to enable Autopark, get out of the car, and then watch it turn and end up askew in the space I had lined it up to be in.

I think you have been watching the Tesla promo video on "future" of summoning. Right now, "summoning" pretty much just move the car forward or backward about 20 to 30 feet when it works. If you read some of the threads on summoning inside parking structure, you probably won't want to try that. I think the concrete columns sometime confuse summoning and you could hit it even just backing out of the parking space so you have more room to open the door.
LOL, right now? Elon promised AP1 summon will find you anywhere on private property. Are you suggesting there is a chance of him delivering? Or are you saying some day, on whatever the latest AP version is available at that time it will happen?

Last edited:
Based on what is can do NOW it's just what people said:
  • Getting in and out of tight spaces or garages
  • Parking your car if you have a detached garage in a straight line and have hands full
  • Cleaning or checking the wheels and tires if by yourself
Based on what its INTENDED to do (Summon+) you should be able to:
  • Have your car park itself as seen in the video below (skip to 3:00)
  • Have your car pick you up valet-style