Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do people use "summon" for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be able to own a Model S if it weren't for summon. For various reasons my only possible charging location is inside my garage, and that's too tight to drive into and be able to exit the vehicle. I use summon to back the car in and out.
Me too. I have to use this feature everyday to park the car in the garage. It's so tight that I get the nose in, check that the gap is good each side for the mirrors, then Summon the car forwards into the space. Works brilliantly too. Probably couldn't own the car without this feature.

Reactions: redy
Summon here in Belgium (and for me) is rather useless at the moment: it only can be operated using the mobile app (not with the keyfob nor before leaving the car) and it won't enter my garage because it's too narrow...
Same situation for me, so get the nose of the car in, exit the vehicle, then forward Summon the rest of the way. Works great.

1) When I park in the garage, front it, when I exit, I have no visibility on the driver side to see pedestrians approaching behind the car from the side, so I feel better to stand on the sidewalk and have the car reverse with Summon.
2) When I park in the carport, back in, if my mirrors are unfolded (although I manually folded them in order to get out of the car), I can't open the driver door to get into the car. I summon the car forward so I can get it into position to open the door.

Space is tight, so I could only keep the S with Summon. I wonder how my neighbors do it with big cars without Summon. The new ones would block the sidewalk, but eventually they stop because they get warnings about that. Then they park in the guest lot and they're not supposed to do that.

3) I use Summon to pull forward in parking lots if there is lots of space in front of the car.

I found limited uses for it. I do back out the car from the garage to the driveway, so that I can enter the car without risk of slamming the door into anything. I'm not able to self park in my garage since the garage has a "lip" on the ground, and I guess the lip is tall enough to make the car think it's an obstacle... What are some really good uses of summon besides just showing off to your friends of course.

I wished I had summon last saturday at Culvers. Someone had spilled or intentionally poured out a large coke/soda/pop in the parking lot right between my drivers door and the truck next to me. I would have been happy to have the car pull forward or reverse just 3 feet or so to let me get in without having to step through the stickiness.

Alas I wasn't in a Tesla and had to just walk through it and deal with my floormat getting just a little dirtier.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Me too. I have to use this feature everyday to park the car in the garage. It's so tight that I get the nose in, check that the gap is good each side for the mirrors, then Summon the car forwards into the space. Works brilliantly too. Probably couldn't own the car without this feature.

I have used it to pull out of the garage, but never in. One thing that prevents me from always using summon to pull out of the garage is my car sometimes unfolds the mirrors in the garage. I have to refold them before backing out. It happens randomly, sometimes weeks go by with no unfolds and other times it happens a couple of times a week.

The local service center can't figure out why it's happening. I posted about it elsewhere here on the forum and someone else in the NW US has the same problem.

For those who use Summon or Auto park to park, does it try to center in the parking spot? If I'm not been two cars, I prefer my car to be parked off-center to favor space on one side. I have been manually parking because I'm not sure if the car would go straight in where I want it to go, or try to correct positioning in order to be centered.

Checking for tire punctures, cleaning wheels, applying tire gloss, cleaning calipers, impressing children, scaring adults, garage too tight, etc. backing up car at supercharger when spouse, son, daughter stop short and the charge cable is too short to reach.

• Informative
Reactions: Mayhem
For those who use Summon or Auto park to park, does it try to center in the parking spot? If I'm not been two cars, I prefer my car to be parked off-center to favor space on one side. I have been manually parking because I'm not sure if the car would go straight in where I want it to go, or try to correct positioning in order to be centered.

Nope, not in my garage. I have the setting set to tight space. I start to reverse the car in with about 2" clearance on the drivers side then get out and summon it the rest of the way. It stays straight all the way in.

Nope, not in my garage. I have the setting set to tight space. I start to reverse the car in with about 2" clearance on the drivers side then get out and summon it the rest of the way. It stays straight all the way in.
That's great. Is this with a recent car or firmware? When the Tesla owner advisor came to my house last summer to try Auto park with an X, it worked great the first time. He tried it again to confirm that it would work, and the X turned instead of staying straight. I appreciated his honesty and declined to get the X since I couldn't count on comfortably parking it in the garage. He asked me if I would consider the S.

I got the September 2017 build. For a few months, Summon occasionally would turn the wheels when trying to get out of the garage. After one of the updates a few months ago, it hasn't done that although it would still sometimes abort early when there didn't seem to be a reason for it to stop.

That's great. Is this with a recent car or firmware? When the Tesla owner advisor came to my house last summer to try Auto park with an X, it worked great the first time. He tried it again to confirm that it would work, and the X turned instead of staying straight. I appreciated his honesty and declined to get the X since I couldn't count on comfortably parking it in the garage. He asked me if I would consider the S.

I got the September 2017 build. For a few months, Summon occasionally would turn the wheels when trying to get out of the garage. After one of the updates a few months ago, it hasn't done that although it would still sometimes abort early when there didn't seem to be a reason for it to stop.
The car was built in Dec 17 and the software is up to date. It works 99% of the time in terms of backing into the correct position. In terms of the app though, it's been quite flaky, won't connect to the car, or the car will stop mid-summon. It mostly seems to be connection issues. I've had to climb in through the trunk twice, and the car did an Austin Powers at the weekend where because I summoned it forward and backwards a few times it got itself into such a position in the garage doorway I was sure it was going to collide with the garage door frame. I couldn't open either door, or get past the car to get to the trunk so I ended up climbing in through the drivers window. Which was fun :)

I have used it to pull out of the garage, but never in. One thing that prevents me from always using summon to pull out of the garage is my car sometimes unfolds the mirrors in the garage. I have to refold them before backing out. It happens randomly, sometimes weeks go by with no unfolds and other times it happens a couple of times a week.

The local service center can't figure out why it's happening. I posted about it elsewhere here on the forum and someone else in the NW US has the same problem.

You manually folded the mirrors before parking into the garage right? We summon the MX out from the garage everyday, the mirrors never unfold. Do you park nose in or trunk in? We park nose in. So summoning is reversing the car out. The mirrors will only unfold for us (without pressing the manual button) when we go forward in speed above 25 or 30 mph.

You manually folded the mirrors before parking into the garage right? We summon the MX out from the garage everyday, the mirrors never unfold. Do you park nose in or trunk in? We park nose in. So summoning is reversing the car out. The mirrors will only unfold for us (without pressing the manual button) when we go forward in speed above 25 or 30 mph.

Yes, I manually fold the mirrors, pull nose in, and leave the car unlocked in the garage. The mirrors unfold randomly. The service center is thinking it's hardware. They replaced the switch and now have an entire door controller unit they will replace next week.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
Yes, I manually fold the mirrors, pull nose in, and leave the car unlocked in the garage. The mirrors unfold randomly. The service center is thinking it's hardware. They replaced the switch and now have an entire door controller unit they will replace next week.
I've also have had issues with the mirrors unfolding when I approach the car, more often than not, despite manually folding them. However, when they do stay closed, they are pretty reliable about staying folded while I drive until the speed minimum or I manually unfold them. I'm curious if the service center can figure out the issue for your car. It's hard to reproduce the issue with my car since there seems to be a time element to it.