Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Do People Use to Protect/Clean the Wood on the Dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In getting ready for delivery of my model 3, I have been learning about how to properly protect the paint and the interior, but I haven't seen anything on how to protect the piece of wood that runs along the dash or how to clean it. If anyone has a solution that they think works well, please post it.

Thank you.

On my Model S, which has piano black dash wood, I use wipes from Murphy's Oil Soap. Murphy's is a well-known wood cleaning product that I have used for many years, and the wipes make it easy to use without mixing up a batch of soap and water and carrying it out to the car.
The soap wipes leave some streaks, so i then polish the wood with a microfiber cloth.
So far, so good, after 3 years, but I admit I am not a fanatic and do not keep the car in concours condition.

https://smile.amazon.com/Murphys-Di...il+soap+wipes&qid=1553783480&s=gateway&sr=8-8

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC
On my Model S, which has piano black dash wood, I use wipes from Murphy's Oil Soap. Murphy's is a well-known wood cleaning product that I have used for many years, and the wipes make it easy to use without mixing up a batch of soap and water and carrying it out to the car.
The soap wipes leave some streaks, so i then polish the wood with a microfiber cloth.
So far, so good, after 3 years, but I admit I am not a fanatic and do not keep the car in concours condition.

https://smile.amazon.com/Murphys-Disposable-Soft-Wipes-Large/dp/B00006J9GE/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=murphy's+oil+soap+wipes&qid=1553783480&s=gateway&sr=8-8

That's an interesting idea! Thanks!

Reactions: David29

https://smile.amazon.com/Murphys-Disposable-Soft-Wipes-Large/dp/B00006J9GE/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=murphy's+oil+soap+wipes&qid=1553783480&s=gateway&sr=8-8
Thank you David, this was very helpful! My husband and I went straight to Home Depot and the bottle that is already diluted (they didn't have the wipes)!!

Reactions: David29
The trim in the 2018 M3 I just bought recently was looking dry and faded. I bought some tung oil from amazon (Amazon.com). I used a paper towel, folded over to cover the opening of the bottle, and tipped the bottle upside down briefly to introduce a small circle of oil to the paper towel and used that to rub oil into the wood. I had to do that about 4 times to cover the length of the trim. After 24 hours, I repeated the process. The bottle is like 100x more oil than you will need, but maybe you have some cutting boards and stuff that could use similar attention.

The tung oil restored some color and left it very slightly glossy. I might do one more application, depending on how it looks tomorrow. As a woodworker, I know it would have been better to sand it with very fine sand paper or steel wool first, but I didn’t really want to fill the car with wood dust. It still looked reasonably good, but not as smooth as it could have.

In my case, the wood itself didn’t seem like the highest quality stuff. There are some strange patterns in it that look a bit like water damage / mold, as if the wood wasn’t stored properly before it was machined into car parts, or maybe the wood was punky in the tree. So, not something I would have chosen to use for a project. Nonetheless, while not gorgeous, it is passable and looks better than it did. If I had to do it again, I’d use a cloth rag. The paper towel left lots of little bits behind. They will come off, but why deal with the mess?

I was concerned the tung oil would leave a smell. I left the windows open last night while the oil soaked in, and didn’t detect any smell when I reapplied today. We will see how it goes. The next test will be to see whether the sun causes oil to rise back out of the wood on a hot day. The car will probably enjoy a week in the garage before I attempt that. In the mean time, my other model 3 (with preferable white interior!) will get all the love.

Last edited:
Carbon fiber. ;)

IMG_2164.jpeg

It is wood. Check out
Wood, in a Tesla ... its not real wood. I use an APC called Simple Green on seats, dash and doors. Do maintenance cleaning, don't wait for the grime to build up. Two micro towels. One with a couple sprays of SG, the other towel dry.
It is real wood. Check out what 03DSG said on 4-5-2016. I have never done anything to my 2018, but use a damp microfiber.

The trim in the 2018 M3 I just bought recently was looking dry and faded. I bought some tung oil from amazon (Amazon.com). I used a paper towel, folded over to cover the opening of the bottle, and tipped the bottle upside down briefly to introduce a small circle of oil to the paper towel and used that to rub oil into the wood. I had to do that about 4 times to cover the length of the trim. After 24 hours, I repeated the process. The bottle is like 100x more oil than you will need, but maybe you have some cutting boards and stuff that could use similar attention.

The tung oil restored some color and left it very slightly glossy. I might do one more application, depending on how it looks tomorrow. As a woodworker, I know it would have been better to sand it with very fine sand paper or steel wool first, but I didn’t really want to fill the car with wood dust. It still looked reasonably good, but not as smooth as it could have.

In my case, the wood itself didn’t seem like the highest quality stuff. There are some strange patterns in it that look a bit like water damage / mold, as if the wood wasn’t stored properly before it was machined into car parts, or maybe the wood was punky in the tree. So, not something I would have chosen to use for a project. Nonetheless, while not gorgeous, it is passable and looks better than it did. If I had to do it again, I’d use a cloth rag. The paper towel left lots of little bits behind. They will come off, but why deal with the mess?

I was concerned the tung oil would leave a smell. I left the windows open last night while the oil soaked in, and didn’t detect any smell when I reapplied today. We will see how it goes. The next test will be to see whether the sun causes oil to rise back out of the wood on a hot day. The car will probably enjoy a week in the garage before I attempt that. In the mean time, my other model 3 (with preferable white interior!) will get all the love.

As a bit of an update, I ended up doing 3 coats at days 0, 1, and 4. It now looks semi-glossy in an inexpensive furniture store kind of way. As I said, the wood, at least in my Model 3, isn't the finest quality. It looks like it has had water damage / mold in it, really. However, now it looks reasonable, and pretty good for what it is. The color darkened to a medium-light brown from the dry blonde it was before. Finish quality issues seem more likely to me to arise from the low wood quality and the fact that Tesla didn't sand it that well.

I did not experience any problems with the oil marring the adjacent trim. That was an easy cleanup with paper towel. Nor did I (yet) run into the speculated problem that it would soak through to the adhesive and cause that to fall apart.

There is a very mild smell for a few days after application, which I might describe as close to (less astringent) walnuts. I left the windows open on the car so the smell didn't soak into the upholstery and carpet, and kept the car in the garage. You'll also still smell it if you brush up agains the dashboard and get some on your hands. Hopefully, that will fade as it settles in the wood. The bottle says it is safe for cutting boards and the like, so I'm not much worried about toxicity, though I suppose some kid might be allergic to tree nuts. Tung oil is a tree nut oil.

No data on strong sun exposure yet. The concern there is that high temperatures might cause the oil to rise back out of the wood and then volatilize throughout the car giving everything inside a light tung oil finish if the car gets hot. (Sometimes car upholstery can do something similar, leaving a light frosty coating inside your windshield.) Obviously though, Teslas in particular usually have the cabin set to not exceed 100F so that the batteries don't overheat. So, the nuclear temperature extremes sometimes found in older cars in the Texas/Florida sun may not occur. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: AZBen and David29