Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do reading glass users think of the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can barely read my cell phone without glasses.

You just need longer arms! ;)

Yeah, that was by far the biggest thing I noticed when I first got glasses. I'm there in the optometrist office going "Wow, I had no idea there was that much detail in those icons!". :eek::oops: I could still sort of operate with it, a few years later now and I'm pretty much useless trying to use the phone without glasses. I can make out shapes but if there's text I'm left guessing by the general shape of the fuzzy blobs. Sometimes to conclusions that become quite amusing once I put my glasses on.

Reactions: devilmountain
I find progressives have too narrow of a field of vision to use comfortably, too much moving head side to side to find the sweet spot. I ended up getting some bi-focal reading glasses. No correction up top, and cheaters down below. Can just wear them all the time without the hanging off the end of your nose look, and work great in the Model 3. Everything above the dash is in focus, and everything dash/screen level and below is also. And can look full side-side without moving the head, just glancing.
Years ago I got the Kodak progressive lens, they’re like you’re not wearing glasses, the field is so wide you won’t believe it.

We were checking out a Model 3 in the Tesla dealership and my wife commented that she might have problems with the display due to her becoming long sighted. I am also using reading glasses and the display wasn't a problem, but then I don't need reading glasses that much. I was wondering what the community thinks about this. Switching between no glasses to look at the road and glasses to look a the display might be a problem at least in theory.

If you wear contacts check into monovision, they drop the dominate eye 1 diopter and you dont need reading glasses (nearsighted folks only)

I normally wear contacts (vastly nearsighted with astigmatism) along with (half-lens) cheaters for reading/computer monitor usage since I can't focus close-up with the contacts. I've tried monovision and I can't wrap my head around it. No problems with driving or reading the display in the car.

When I wear glasses they're bifocals; not progressives. The display is slightly difficult to read as I have to tilt my head up a little bit. But even if I look at the display with the "far-view" lenses I can make out most of the icons and words. Details on the map are hard to read but I can tell if the road ahead has traffic or not.

As a 52 year old with tiring eyes, I posted a thread on a different site asking if the top icons along the display could be enlarged. This is currently unavailable. While I have progressive lenses, my sunglasses are not, thus my issue with the "Small" icons along the top of the UI (time, temperature, etc).

Might want to look into picking up a pair of Solar Shield sunglasses. 100% UVA/UVB protection, polarized and designed to wear over your glasses. They have a few different styles including clip ons. This is what my husband and I have been using as we both wear glasses. Some of styles come with protection on the side of the frames too. The last time we bought them I think it was at a CVS or a RiteAid drug store. Around $20-25. Do a google search for Solar Shield and you'll see they are sold all over. With summer almost over sometimes you'll even find a sale on them but then the selection can get limited. We just picked up a new pair and they have a number of more stylish contemporary frames out than they use to. Here's a link to their site Solar Shield | Fits Over | Sunglasses | Official Site

I use to have a pair of corrective sunglasses. Also bought custom side clip ons for a pair of glasses I use to have. Both types were on the expensive side and with the dedicated pair I had to have my regular glasses with me when I was inside so got to be a hassle sometimes. The Solar Shields are cheap enough you can have an extra pair you keep solely in the car but we wear ours out all the time over our glasses.

Last edited:
I don't understand people's reluctance to just get the right glasses. Bandaiding with readers and such is a hassle, wearing glasses all the time is not. Often while driving you are going to want sunglasses.

I admit I come at this from a place few other do, I have had bifocals since I was 10yo my first pair of glasses. I have safeties for work, yardwork, home improvement, auto maintenance, regular for home and sunglasses for fishing and driving. Once you are used to wearing them and leave them on your face all is well.

I remember my Dad struggling with getting used to wearing them, taking them off all the time lead to losing and breaking them.

Far as field of vision with a progressive go to a good optometrist with knowledgeable staff tell them about the oddity of the car screen and they can help get the right shape lenses. Shape of the lens matters, a wrapped lens or a small one might lead to distortion. I have had knowledgeable staff shoot down many a frame choice on my part because they knew it would cause distortion with my prescription.
I've got my everyday glasses, my work glasses, contacts, readers for contacts, prescription bifocal sunglasses, etc., etc., etc., etc.

My question is this: Why can't they lose the Atari Easter eggs, and instead give us the ability to change the font size so we can see the screen? Why is that so hard?

I currently own and use:

Progressive glasses - I use these when I don't want to wear contacts or have an eye infection or allergies

Bifocal Contacts - These work by sliding up on your eye when looking down. Your lower eyelid moves the lens. Works well but requires perfect fit. I could probably make the distance part work for the display, I'll find out soon.

Fixed distance glasses - I use these for my computer. I use between 32" and 43" UHD computer monitors and progressive lenses are the worst thing you can use for screen applications. The glasses are tuned to the specific distance between my eye and the monitor.

Bifocal prescription sunglasses - These are tuned for driving distance and my ICE instrument cluster. I will have them remade where the lower range is ideal for the center monitor in the Tesla.

I do not have Tesla yet but I did test drive one with my progressive lenses on. I also have yet to test if polarized glasses wipe the screen out.

I find progressives have too narrow of a field of vision to use comfortably, too much moving head side to side to find the sweet spot. I ended up getting some bi-focal reading glasses. No correction up top, and cheaters down below. Can just wear them all the time without the hanging off the end of your nose look, and work great in the Model 3. Everything above the dash is in focus, and everything dash/screen level and below is also. And can look full side-side without moving the head, just glancing.

My first set of progressive lenses were like that. I discovered that there are premium lens grinds that minimize this problem. My second set of progressives were a grind branded "Definity," and they completely cured the side to side focus problem for me.

I have no problem with the Model 3 display with my current progressive lenses (I do not remember the brand name).

GSP

You just need longer arms! ;)

Yeah, that was by far the biggest thing I noticed when I first got glasses. I'm there in the optometrist office going "Wow, I had no idea there was that much detail in those icons!". :eek::oops: I could still sort of operate with it, a few years later now and I'm pretty much useless trying to use the phone without glasses. I can make out shapes but if there's text I'm left guessing by the general shape of the fuzzy blobs. Sometimes to conclusions that become quite amusing once I put my glasses on.
I think I went years suffering from blurry vision. I remember putting glasses on for the first time, and I was shocked how much detail I could see. I have always had excellent vision, and it wasn't until I got into my 40s my ability to read started going downhill. I have good days, and I have bad days with mine eyes. The funny part the optometrist I went to told me to get cheaters and save some money.

I think I went years suffering from blurry vision. I remember putting glasses on for the first time, and I was shocked how much detail I could see. I have always had excellent vision, and it wasn't until I got into my 40s my ability to read started going downhill. I have good days, and I have bad days with mine eyes. The funny part the optometrist I went to told me to get cheaters and save some money.
My reading vision dropped off pretty quickly in my mid-40s. At first I noticed it just when getting out of bed in the morning, those lazy eye muscles (which apparently is the issue) were taking longer to wake up. I pushed it off maybe 2 years before deciding it was getting kinda silly holding the phone further away than normal (where I couldn't see those pixel level details I mentioned, even though I could make out the text fine).

My distance vision is still pretty good. I can still easily pick out individual leaves on trees at a long distance, though details, and tracking, fast moving objects has definitely become tougher.