Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do reading glass users think of the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were checking out a Model 3 in the Tesla dealership and my wife commented that she might have problems with the display due to her becoming long sighted. I am also using reading glasses and the display wasn't a problem, but then I don't need reading glasses that much. I was wondering what the community thinks about this. Switching between no glasses to look at the road and glasses to look a the display might be a problem at least in theory.

I second the vote for progressive lenses. Even if your long vision is perfect. I don't need glasses to see distance, but I do need reading glasses. I have progressive glasses that I use for driving and they are perfect.

However, even without the progressive lenses, you can drive without being able to read most of the small print.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and dgpcolorado
There are really not that many small prints you have to read while driving. The P, D, and R are kind of big. I guess the trip meter info maybe hard to read but you don't really have to read them while driving. The only thing you may have trouble is the navigation info. I don't know why they put it all the way to the right of the screen. On the model X, they are on the left side. Strange decision.

I find progressives have too narrow of a field of vision to use comfortably, too much moving head side to side to find the sweet spot. I ended up getting some bi-focal reading glasses. No correction up top, and cheaters down below. Can just wear them all the time without the hanging off the end of your nose look, and work great in the Model 3. Everything above the dash is in focus, and everything dash/screen level and below is also. And can look full side-side without moving the head, just glancing.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
While having issue with long sightedness might be an issue in the Model 3, why wouldn't it be an issue in any vehicle. for me it is far easier to read the speed in the M3 than a lot of other vehicles. There are indeed some really small text areas, like the time, but these aren't primary driving fields. Basically, on the Model 3, there's the square in the upper left that you need to be able to read and when operating the vehicle, that's about it.

As a 52 year old with tiring eyes, I posted a thread on a different site asking if the top icons along the display could be enlarged. This is currently unavailable. While I have progressive lenses, my sunglasses are not, thus my issue with the "Small" icons along the top of the UI (time, temperature, etc).

I use 2.5X readers at 3ft away and it's already quite difficult in reading my cell phone. But I don't have too many issues reading the screen on my M3 for daily driving use. It is only when I'm trying read the fine details I need my glasses or trying to read the street maps on the GPS. For me, I really only need to be able to read the left side of the screen when doing my daily driving and it clear enough for now ...

As a 52 year old with tiring eyes, I posted a thread on a different site asking if the top icons along the display could be enlarged. This is currently unavailable. While I have progressive lenses, my sunglasses are not, thus my issue with the "Small" icons along the top of the UI (time, temperature, etc).
I don't know about any way to do that but I know you can switch the display to constantly being in "night" mode, which gives a lot better contrast (light text on dark background).

Last edited:
I don't understand people's reluctance to just get the right glasses. Bandaiding with readers and such is a hassle, wearing glasses all the time is not. Often while driving you are going to want sunglasses.

I admit I come at this from a place few other do, I have had bifocals since I was 10yo my first pair of glasses. I have safeties for work, yardwork, home improvement, auto maintenance, regular for home and sunglasses for fishing and driving. Once you are used to wearing them and leave them on your face all is well.

I remember my Dad struggling with getting used to wearing them, taking them off all the time lead to losing and breaking them.

Far as field of vision with a progressive go to a good optometrist with knowledgeable staff tell them about the oddity of the car screen and they can help get the right shape lenses. Shape of the lens matters, a wrapped lens or a small one might lead to distortion. I have had knowledgeable staff shoot down many a frame choice on my part because they knew it would cause distortion with my prescription.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Msjulie
I don't understand people's reluctance to just get the right glasses. Bandaiding with readers and such is a hassle, wearing glasses all the time is not.

For you. I tried progressives and bifocals for a few months, really pushed to get used to them. For now, since I don't need a distance sight prescription [yet], I'm going to stick with the PITA of carrying readers over the PITA of bifocal-type glasses.

I have 2 sets (well a number of sets, really). One for inside at the computer etc. that are very good quality (true prescription), another for the yard, shop, etc. that are the $20 for 3 variety that I don't care so much if I drop in the mud, step on, lose, etc.

That said I'm not sure how this applies to the Model 3? It's further distance than the binnacle screens on cars usually are. During the test drive I found no issue seeing what I needed to see while driving (and I purposely checked, I'm about a 1.75 on the glasses FWIW).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
I don't understand people's reluctance to just get the right glasses. Bandaiding with readers and such is a hassle, wearing glasses all the time is not. Often while driving you are going to want sunglasses.

I admit I come at this from a place few other do, I have had bifocals since I was 10yo my first pair of glasses. I have safeties for work, yardwork, home improvement, auto maintenance, regular for home and sunglasses for fishing and driving. Once you are used to wearing them and leave them on your face all is well.

I remember my Dad struggling with getting used to wearing them, taking them off all the time lead to losing and breaking them.

Far as field of vision with a progressive go to a good optometrist with knowledgeable staff tell them about the oddity of the car screen and they can help get the right shape lenses. Shape of the lens matters, a wrapped lens or a small one might lead to distortion. I have had knowledgeable staff shoot down many a frame choice on my part because they knew it would cause distortion with my prescription.

Some people have neck issues and all the micro adjustments required with progressives can be a real PITA.

I use a fixed focal length lens for computer work and it's a godsend. 100% focus (at arms length) without having to move my head around. Unusable obviously for driving where there is no real perfect solution but as mentioned already, larger lenses can help for sure though a lot of men tend to want smaller, preferring to avoid the Barry from Storage Wars look. I use large drive wear lenses and keep them only in the car :) Really helps with checking left/right in minimizing distortion.

Concur that getting the right glasses and dealing with a good optometrist/staff can make a huge difference. If you are using progressives, do yourself a favor and get some prescription sunglasses as well.

Reactions: SSedan

... another for the yard, shop, etc. that are the $20 for 3 variety that I don't care so much if I drop in the mud, step on, lose, etc.

I use cheap readers most of the time, but am starting to think better readers would help. I have inexpensive polarized safety sunglasses with readers built in for outdoor work I do. I have stick on readers that really suck, but will do in a pinch on my Maui Jims.

To be fair, we don't have our car yet, and it will be an MS, but this seemed like a decent place to speak up on glasses.

Good luck,
Chris

I didn't mean to start a discussion on the best solution for longsightedness, but thanks for the pointers anyway. My impression is that the touchscreen in the '3' is closer to the eye than a regular instrument cluster. In our A4 the latter is not quite at an infinity focal distance, but close. In our Civic it is definitely at infinity. I guess as long as one can see the speed it should be fine.