Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do we do now? 18 months to go.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reminded of waiting for various PC computer games like this...browsing official and non-official forums for years until they are ready for closed/open beta testing or GA. It just becomes something to do on the side while working. :)

Elon certainly seems to know what he's doing by throwing nuggets of information at us now and then through social media accounts to keep the embers stoked, and I'm sure that's what the "coming months" comment was partially about.

I'm installing my charger in the garage. That's been keeping me busy for the last week :p I ultimately decided to go with the Tesla Wall Connector. I assume it's going to work with the Model 3. I'm doing it now to take advantage of the tax credit that expires at the end of the year. I have a very straight forward installation so the whole job, including the cost of the charger, is going to run me $1100. So from what my accountant tells me, i'll be eligible for 50% credit from NYS and 30% from the federal govt. My OOP after rebate will be around $210. Pretty good i think :)
What is the 50% NYS rebate? I was already planning on installing a Tesla Wall Connector this year to get the 30% Federal credit but I hadn't heard about the NYS one. Please provide a link if it's not much trouble.

I believe they intend to stream it live at the link in my last post. It starts at 2pm Eastern.
It's actually 2:00PM PDT.

upload_2016-5-24_17-50-38.png

This is not directed at you, but the new pastime seems to be pointless threads. The thread count in this section has jumped by over 400 in under a month and almost none of it is worth reading lol.... unless you want to answer the same questions over and over again... or you like keeping it real and have all your posts moved to the snippiness thread.

My CPA said it works for residential. I'll follow up with him.
Yes, run it by him and let us know what he says. I'm no tax accountant but the one thing that stands out to me is in the instructions for that form in the third paragraph of the General Information section (bold added by me):

The Tax Law allows a credit to certain taxpayers who invest in
new alternative fuels vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle
recharging property. The credit for alternative fuels vehicle
refueling property and electric vehicle recharging property is
available only when the property is used in a trade or business
located in New York State.
This credit is not refundable, but any
unused credit may be carried forward indefinitely.

And on page 2 it says:

Do not complete this schedule for any property that, by the end
of your tax year, met at least one of the following conditions:

• The property no longer qualifies as alternative fuels vehicle
refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property
• 50% or more of the property’s use during the tax year was
other than in a trade or business carried on in New York.

• You sold or disposed of the property and you know, or have
reason to know, that the property will meet one of the two
conditions previously stated above.

Hopefully I'm wrong because this would be a great savings.

My CPA said it works for residential. I'll follow up with him.
Please do :) I'd also be interested. A quick look at that form shows it references NYS tax code article 22, section p.

Relevant snippet:
(p) Alternative fuels and electric vehicle recharging property credit.  (1) General.  A taxpayer shall be allowed a credit, to be computed as hereinafter provided, against the tax imposed by this article, for alternative fuel vehicle refueling and electric vehicle recharging property placed in service during the taxable year.

(2) Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property and electric vehicle recharging property.  The credit under this subsection for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property shall equal for each installation of property the lesser of five thousand dollars or fifty percent of the cost of any such property

(A) which is located in this state;

(B) which constitutes alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property;  and

(C) for which none of the cost has been paid for from the proceeds of grants, including grants from the New York state energy research and development authority or the New York power authority.

(3) Definitions.  (A) The term “alternative fuel vehicle refueling property” means all of the equipment needed to dispense any fuel at least eighty-five percent of the volume of which consists of one or more of the following:  natural gas, liquified natural gas, liquified petroleum, or hydrogen;  and

(B) The term “electric vehicle recharging property” means all the equipment needed to convey electric power from the electric grid or another power source to an onboard vehicle energy storage system.

(4) Carryovers.  If the amount of credit allowable under this subsection shall exceed the taxpayer's tax for such year, the excess may be carried over to the following year or years and may be deducted from the taxpayer's tax for such year or years.

(5) Credit recapture.  (A) If, at any time before the end of its recovery period, alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property ceases to be qualified, a recapture amount must be added back in the tax year in which such cessation occurs.

(B) Cessation of qualification.  Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property ceases to be qualified if:

(i) the property no longer qualifies as alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property, or

(ii) fifty percent or more of the use of the property in a taxable year is other than in a trade or business in this state, or

(iii) the taxpayer receiving the credit under this subsection sells or disposes of the property and knows or has reason to know that the property will be used in a manner described in clause (i) or (ii) of this subparagraph.

(C) Recapture amount.  The recapture amount is equal to the credit allowable under this subsection multiplied by a fraction, the numerator of which is the total recovery period for the property minus the number of recovery years prior to, but not including, the recapture year, and the denominator of which is the total recovery period.

(6) Termination.  The credit allowed by this subsection shall not apply in taxable years beginning after December thirty-first, two thousand seventeen.

- See more at: New York Tax Law - TAX § 606 | FindLaw
What I highlighted in red leads me to believe that it is only applicable to businesses - but I'm definitely not a tax attorney nor CPA. Would love to hear what your guy says.

Also, lI still owe you lunch or a beer, S3XY :)

Please do :) I'd also be interested. A quick look at that form shows it references NYS tax code article 22, section p.

Relevant snippet:
(p) Alternative fuels and electric vehicle recharging property credit.  (1) General.  A taxpayer shall be allowed a credit, to be computed as hereinafter provided, against the tax imposed by this article, for alternative fuel vehicle refueling and electric vehicle recharging property placed in service during the taxable year.

(2) Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property and electric vehicle recharging property.  The credit under this subsection for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property shall equal for each installation of property the lesser of five thousand dollars or fifty percent of the cost of any such property

(A) which is located in this state;

(B) which constitutes alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property;  and

(C) for which none of the cost has been paid for from the proceeds of grants, including grants from the New York state energy research and development authority or the New York power authority.

(3) Definitions.  (A) The term “alternative fuel vehicle refueling property” means all of the equipment needed to dispense any fuel at least eighty-five percent of the volume of which consists of one or more of the following:  natural gas, liquified natural gas, liquified petroleum, or hydrogen;  and

(B) The term “electric vehicle recharging property” means all the equipment needed to convey electric power from the electric grid or another power source to an onboard vehicle energy storage system.

(4) Carryovers.  If the amount of credit allowable under this subsection shall exceed the taxpayer's tax for such year, the excess may be carried over to the following year or years and may be deducted from the taxpayer's tax for such year or years.

(5) Credit recapture.  (A) If, at any time before the end of its recovery period, alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property ceases to be qualified, a recapture amount must be added back in the tax year in which such cessation occurs.

(B) Cessation of qualification.  Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property ceases to be qualified if:

(i) the property no longer qualifies as alternative fuel vehicle refueling property or electric vehicle recharging property, or

(ii) fifty percent or more of the use of the property in a taxable year is other than in a trade or business in this state, or

(iii) the taxpayer receiving the credit under this subsection sells or disposes of the property and knows or has reason to know that the property will be used in a manner described in clause (i) or (ii) of this subparagraph.

(C) Recapture amount.  The recapture amount is equal to the credit allowable under this subsection multiplied by a fraction, the numerator of which is the total recovery period for the property minus the number of recovery years prior to, but not including, the recapture year, and the denominator of which is the total recovery period.

(6) Termination.  The credit allowed by this subsection shall not apply in taxable years beginning after December thirty-first, two thousand seventeen.

- See more at: New York Tax Law - TAX § 606 | FindLaw
What I highlighted in red leads me to believe that it is only applicable to businesses - but I'm definitely not a tax attorney nor CPA. Would love to hear what your guy says.

Also, lI still owe you lunch or a beer, S3XY :)
NP Eric. You can buy me one when we meet to celebrate whoever gets their M3 first.

This Forum exploded after the Great reveal on 3/31.

Seems to be settling down now. I wonder what we are going to do now?
Main topics have been exhausted.
Tesla has reverted back into it's shell of not saying anything.
Speculations have petered out.
EV Hopes and Dreams - although still alive - in a state of hibernation.

....tapping my pencil on the table....looking out the window....dozing off.

What do we do now?

Buy a copy of Forza Motorsport 6 for the Xbox One. I am having a blast racing around the tracks in a Model S P85D which is one of the hundreds of cars. This is the first Forza I have noticed with a Tesla and they appear to have simulated the insane mode launches very well.

Buy a copy of Forza Motorsport 6 for the Xbox One. I am having a blast racing around the tracks in a Model S P85D which is one of the hundreds of cars. This is the first Forza I have noticed with a Tesla and they appear to have simulated the insane mode launches very well.

I wasn't a fan of 6 but it does a good job representing the Model S.

There were several Xbox Ones that came with it so it's not hard to find cheap download codes for it from people reselling it.

I wasn't a fan of 6 but it does a good job representing the Model S.

There were several Xbox Ones that came with it so it's not hard to find cheap download codes for it from people reselling it.
The best part is launching at the starting line and rocketing past all the other cars. Forza is pretty much all I play on the Xbox and have played every single Forza dating back to the original Xbox. 6 is my second favorite with 4 on the X360 being my favorite.

Any update on this, @MB30?

Sorry with the long weekend i didn't hear back right away. He's a friend so i just called him up and I explained what everyone pointed out. TBH, i didn't really read through everything until you guys brought it up. So he said that i misunderstood him when he was talking about residential. My wife runs a small internet business and he was intending to run it through that and his response to residential was that it didn't matter that we lived in the house and did business from it. Anyways, i'm kind of stickler when it comes to things and he's a bit looser with interpreting regs/laws. I don't think we do at least 50% business from my home and to save a few hundred bucks is not worth possibly messing with the IRS. So i guess i misled myself and others into thinking we could use the credit :( sorry about that.