Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do we think about the UK license plate green flash?

What do people think about the UK number plate green flash?

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • Dislike

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 25 31.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3P_W8

2021 M3P
Jan 12, 2021
UK
I'm interested to know what people think about the uk license plate green flash that now comes as standard on all new Tesla vehicles.

Personally, I'm thinking of replacing mine when it arrives in June with a standard plate without any embelishment (blue, green, GB or UK etc.). My main reason for doing this is bcause I prefer the 'stealth' look. Simmilar reason to why I had my last car model de-badged. The green flash does also feel a bit 'look at me!' which is not why Im buying a Tesla. Clearly this will reduce ovr time however as more EV's hit the roads.

If I uderstand correctly, in future there may be some benefits in having the green flash (e.g. free parking and use of bus lanes etc.) and that may eventually pursuade me to put it back on. I'm just not aware of any benefits of just yet.

Looking forward to hearing all your views!

Reactions: Yachtsman
I'm interested to know what people think about the uk license plate green flash that now comes as standard on all new Tesla vehicles.

Personally, I'm thinking of replacing mine when it arrives in June with a standard plate without any embelishment (blue, green, GB or UK etc.). My main reason for doing this is bcause I prefer the 'stealth' look. Simmilar reason to why I had my last car model de-badged. The green flash does also feel a bit 'look at me!' which is not why Im buying a Tesla. Clearly this will reduce ovr time however as more EV's hit the roads.

If I uderstand correctly, in future there may be some benefits in having the green flash (e.g. free parking and use of bus lanes etc.) and that may eventually pursuade me to put it back on. I'm just not aware of any benefits of just yet.

Looking forward to hearing all your views!
I'm surprised by how little I notice the green mark when out driving, my car is too old to have it, I don't see a point in changing my plates. You're getting a Tesla, that's plenty of virtual signalling in itself, the green won't make a difference.

I really doubt any benefits will be linked to the colour on your license plate, people you just stick a bit of tape on their ICE, it'll all be triggered by ANPR checking with the DVLA.

Its green and it's flashy.
Apart from that, right now it doesn't seem to have any (real) benefits or disadvantages attached to it and until it does (if ever) to me it's no more a consideration than what colour car do I choose.
If my car came with it, I wouldn't change plates to remove it.
If my car came without it, I wouldn't change plates to have it.

We swapped to the new green plate when we changed our registration. The EUR plates that we had previously had made up were no longer legal to put on a new registration so we were up for new plates anyway. A bit of a faff getting the correct retroreflective green flash but worth it in the end. The green and borderless mounting looks much smarter than the original blue and plastic mount. The green on blue works well. Also, the green is very distinctive out and about. You spot the green flash far sooner than you spot that the car is an EV, even a Tesla. It certainly is working as something to raise awareness of BEV's.

Reactions: Durzel
I’ve certainly noticed more BEVs on the road as a result of the green stripe.

My own reasons for buying a Tesla didn’t include influencing others. Buying electric is enough for me & I’m happy to talk about my experiences. I dont dislike the green but unless some benefits appear I won’t be changing mine.

I prefer a plain white background on the white front of my car. Cleaner, more subtle looking.
Nevertheless I do quite like the distinctive green edge but would only change the existing rear plate if there's a tangible benefit.

Personally opted in for the Green flash as I wanted the GB symbol on my plate, rather than having to deal with an ugly GB oval badge on the back of the car, when travelling to Europe.

It was a choice of a standard Blue Background or Green. Which, for the potential upside of future benefits my decision was made.

I like the green flash as it make our ‘road trip game’ of spotting EVs easier ;-) On a lot of the Niro’s etc you don’t know whether it is an ICE, a Plug in or an EV.

My Tesla came with the green flash but I am not rushing to change the plate on our Nissan Leaf. No benefit - but I do have a 100% electric sticker on the Leaf just to educate people that there are EVs out there. Probably not needed anymore though.

But I did see a red Tesla with the green flash - yeah I don‘t think that goes well together.

I didn't know about this in the UK but here in Australia we have to stick a small EV badge to the front and rear licence plates. This is to inform first responders that it's an EV so they can first disable the HV battery and avoid frying themselves. Same in the UK?

I was discussing this with a fireman aquaintance back when pubs were social meeting grounds (you know - the good old days) Apparently on arrival at a car accident they refer to guidance notes for the vehicle in question. They just didn't have any for EV;s at that time)
pgk

Last edited by a moderator: