Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do we want to know from the first person to get AP2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very rare car. A solid white AP2 car. Probably only a few of those exist, seeing as they discontinued the colour before AP2 was introduced.
Ahh, so I'm about to take delivery of just such a unicorn :D I will have a stealthy "cheap looking" advanced AP car, at least until Model 3 starts delivering (at which point I'll be demoted to snob storm trooper; I might have to "roughly handle" it to get a bit of scuffery on it, or drive it through lots of mud and dust, to shake that demotion off).

Not sure, but at least the functionality where the high beam turns off/on depending on oncoming traffic, is purely camera based on AP1.0-vehicles, however the light&rain sensor is located right next to the camera, facing upwards.

On AP2.0-cars, I don't know if there's a similar distinction, but if all light/rain automatic functions are disabled today, it must have some connection to the forward cam or AP2.0-ECU.

Can someone please check if there's a light/rainsensor on the camera housing (the black area facing upwards)? It should be a coin/button sized circle

Can someone please check if there's a light/rainsensor on the camera housing (the black area facing upwards)? It should be a coin/button sized circle

It looks like it's either in the camera housing or the read view mirror, if you zoom in close:
IMG_7629.JPG

Probably no separate light/rain-sensor like on the old cars. All the sensing is most likely done by the AP-sensors (here: the fwd cameras). The part of the AP2.0-ECU that sends CAN messages to all the different electronic control modules (here: the wiper motor, the high beams, the display brightness etc.) is shut down until 8.1. Right now it's "read only".

My two cents

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Not attractive. The other 2 side cameras were better integrated

Agreed, not terrible but not as concealed as I would have liked, but I understand why. They need to stick out further to get around the hips/butt of the Model S. If they were as flush as the original side turn signal the view would be obstructed by the rear of the car. Would have also liked to see some sort of tinting done on the b-pillar to conceal those cameras a bit more. A tint that allowed it to see clearly in most light conditions but keeps the camera itself blended into the b-pillar more.

Am also interested to see if the rear camera is an actively or passively used for EAP or FSD aside from parking.

How about that. The text's changed on their website. Nothing about which cams, only that it will be "4"

Actually that was from a link in an email they sent out not from the general website. (The email was about upgrading from classic AP to EAP and the link was to a page that let you upgrade your existing classic AP order.)

But it makes sense given the features that they specify for EAP that they need the two side rear facing cameras, and leaving only two other cameras it makes sense that they would be forward looking.