Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Do YOU Call the Pedal on the Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a diesel engine it does increase the fuel flow so gas pedal is appropriate
Wow I did not know this, never thought diesel cars was that different.

"What does the gas pedal do in a diesel?
While gas engines are limited in their air to fuel ratio, diesel engines can operate in a wide range. Pressing the gas pedal on a diesel engine, however, decreases the air to fuel ratio. More fuel is injected comparative to the air taken in, creating an increase in horsepower."

Accelerator. The pedal allows one to modulate the vehicle’s acceleration. Push it to the floor, there’s massive acceleration. Release the accelerator, the car slows sharply.

Finer movements allow fine-grain control.
  • Press it a bit further for mild acceleration - go a bit faster
  • Maintain position for no acceleration - maintain velocity
  • Slightly reduce pressure for mild negative acceleration - go a bit slower.

Except that link doesn't answer the question; it's just to when you essentially asked the same question.

I am far from being an electrical engineer, but does it fit this description (from Wikipedia)?
A potentiometer is a three-terminal resistor with a sliding or rotating contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider. If only two terminals are used, one end and the wiper, it acts as a variable resistor or rheostat.

Except that link doesn't answer the question; it's just to when you essentially asked the same question.
That reference was an answer to your OP. It was also my way of saying to @Sam1 that the suggestion it be called a pot(entiomter) has already been given. And which I first suggested in that P3D thread back in Nov. 2019.

I am far from being an electrical engineer, but does it fit this description (from Wikipedia)?
Upon further thought about the accelerator pedal, most likely it is acting as some form of digital input to the control circuit which actually drives the motor(s). So in that case it's a bit removed from being an analog voltage divider that a traditional pot is known for. I guess I have to withdraw my original suggestion.

That reference was an answer to your OP. It was also my way of saying to @Sam1 that the suggestion it be called a pot(entiomter) has already been given. And which I first suggested in that P3D thread back in Nov. 2019.

Upon further thought about the accelerator pedal, most likely it is acting as some form of digital input to the control circuit which actually drives the motor(s). So in that case it's a bit removed from being an analog voltage divider that a traditional pot is known for. I guess I have to withdraw my original suggestion.
Honestly I just call it the throttle. Generic enough to float between any type of vehicle.