TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What do you call...

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by PhilBa, Jun 10, 2013.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

We call it ICEing when an ICE parks in a charger slot, blocking access. What do you call it when an EV parks there but isn't charging? I saw a Leaf doing just that yesterday. And worse, it was a handicapped parking slot and they didn't have the handicapped tag displayed.

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

3. dm33

dm33 Member

In my area I've noticed several charge spots where the EV parking spot is also a handicap spot. Seems unlikely that only a handicapped person driving an EV can park there. I've always assumed it was either/or. Either a handicap parking spot or an EV can charge there as well.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's a handicapped only EV spot (ie must be EV and handicapped). The Blink charger "tower" is actually lower so people in wheel chairs can read the display. It seems to me to be a rather narrow reading of the ADA. I think Blink would have just put in all ADA compliant chargers and forget the handicapped exclusive parking. The whole point of handicapped parking is to allow easy access to what ever the parking lot is serving. I think the concept of exclusive is an incorrect reading of the law. In the case of a charge station, there is no issue about parking access but rather charger use.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"friendly fire"