Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you dislike most about your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pedals. I think the premium package should've included better ones. Easy aftermarket fix, but still.

Also, the steering wheel "nipples" are a bit difficult to use when scrolling left/right. Very minor complaint but I think the designed could be improved upon.

Lack of mudguards also annoying. Yeah I know they would take away from the car's aesthetics, but I almost always have mud on the side of my car within a couple days of washing.

Reactions: NeverFollow
The shockingly bad phone integration. My 2006 Prius could browse the music from my phone, and my old Scion would read incoming text messages to me with text to speech. I have a ton of music on my phone, and I never even considered that the Model 3 wouldn’t have full support for it.

I couldn’t agree more. Tesla is supposed to be a technology company that builds cars. Up to this point they have been in more of a niche market. If they expect to drive people away from their Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc... then they better offer equivalent features and that includes the media interface. They better step up their game if they expect to compete long term.

The layout of info on top of screen. The prime UI real estate, on left side of screen near driver, has info/buttons that are almost never used while driving, like Home link, bluetooth, the Tesla T. Really useful info, like the clock, are on far right of screen, in teeny font, obscured by the nav map in the background. The clock is impossible to read. that top line needs to be reordered so that commonly used info is on the left side.

Is it just my car or does everyone need to put a bit of extra muster to close the doors completely. I’ve seen all my passengers shut the door only to realize they didn’t close it hard enough and have to do it again.

Also don’t love the door handles. I prefer the S handles.

I have no problem closing the driver's door... But I have had a few passengers fail to fully close their door on the first try.

The doors and trunk need a firm effort to close on my 3, but not something I consider a problem. Just need to learn the right amount of effort.

So far the only thing that is annoying is the inaccuracy of the phone key working (I have an iPhone 6). I'm always disabling/enabling my BT radio, or I have to open the phone to get it to work. I love the idea of the tech, but I hope they can improve its reliability.

I don't yet own one, but I rented one.

The biggest problems I saw were:
1. The key card sucks. It's inferior to a fob in every way. And the phone app isn't reliable enough to be a fob replacement either. Being able to FLAWLESSLY open and operate your car is so fundamental that this is not an area tesla should have done a bunch of fancy reinventing of the wheel. Give us a fob and abort this experiment.
2. The touchscreen - not as bad as I thought it would be, but still inferior to physical buttons in many ways. It takes too many swipes and touches to switch audio sources. Since you have to take your eyes off the road, this is actually hazardous.
3. The charge port door - this thing feels like a cheap plastic children's toy. It will be operated thousands of times and exposed to all kinds of brutal elements so it should have been built like a tank. This was not the place to pinch pennies. It will probably be the model 3's equivalent of the Model S's door handles - something that eventually breaks on every car.
4. The piano black console - if everyone is scratching it or wrapping it, tesla chose a poor material to make it with.
5. The emergency door releases - if everyone is grabbing them thinking they're the normal way to get out of the car, tesla put them in the wrong place.
6. And the glass roof still seems pointless to me. You can't appreciate it from the driver's seat, and even if you are in the back, it's tinted so dark that it ruins the effect. It should be much less tinted with a retractable physical sunshade.

Is it just my car or does everyone need to put a bit of extra muster to close the doors completely. I’ve seen all my passengers shut the door only to realize they didn’t close it hard enough and have to do it again.

Also don’t love the door handles. I prefer the S handles.

When I first got the car, my door seemed to need more effort than the other three doors to close but it has been getting better (or I'm subconsciously using more effort).

Overall the car is good, but #1 on my list of complaints is the phone as a key thing. Just give me a standard key fob that locks the car when I get out, so I don't have to haul my phone around 100% of the time with me to get the car locked. Tesla should at least give me the option to buy a fob for $30 or so in the Tesla Store.

And my phone app (on a Galaxy S5) works somewhat randomly. Some days it just refuses to connect, even with resetting airplane mode and bluetooth and restarting the phone, other days it works fine.

And having no Sirius in the car means I have to use my phone app, burned my 2GB data plan in 2 weeks, so that'll cost me for data, thanks a lot, Tesla.....

Last edited:
Having no key fob. The phone thing is nice. But it's unreliable and takes longer.
I'm surprised to hear so many issues with the phone as a key. My VIN in in the 33k and it's working great for me.

I actually really like not having to carry around something all day just because I need to access my car. It's nice only having my wallet and phone in my pockets.

Reactions: 0ptions