Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do for work? Just passing time waiting for updates from Tesla :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if I should "Fess Up", then I read your post. Ha! I too have connections to the 'DARK SIDE',
I have worked for over 40 years in the automobile industry. I am your basic blue collar worker who maintains the machines that produce power steering units, transmissions, engines, and stamped steel components. I get to 'see' and work on the next latest and greatest things the industry has to offer. I am proud of my company, yet I feel somewhat of a traitor because of my latest purchase,,,,,
So far, I haven't confessed my defection to my fellow workers, Uncle Henry just wouldn't understand.
She, yes SHE,, makes me grin, makes me even giggle, and as pointed out, resistance is futile.
If You Would Drive One, You Will Buy One

Day job: Quality Assurance Manager for a major telecommunications company, working with the field technicians in people's houses installing and repairing phone/internet/TV services.
Weekend job: Emergency Medical Technician on a rural ambulance
Volunteering in my "spare" time: Amateur radio operator on various events
Volunteer medical first responder on various events
Rover Advisor (Working with Scouting "youth" aged 18-26, and occasionally the younger scouting sections)​
Previous jobs: Telecommunications Technician (installing and repairing phone/internet/TV in people's houses and businesses)
Help Desk Analyst for a local internet service provider
Network Administrator for a small company
Research and Development tech working on dynamic balancers for rotating systems
Computer repair (self employed)
Computer repair for a local school board​
Previous Volunteer experience: Search and Rescue ground searcher
Search and Rescue aerial spotter​

Owner of MasterShield 3M Paint Protection and Crystalline Window Film Company. Same owner, same location for over 10 years. [email protected]
We are 3M and Xpel Paint Protection Film Certified Installation Company, Also 3M Prestige Residential, Commercial, Security Film Dealer.
We have Vehicles shipped to us, we install Paint Protection Film and Crystalline Window Tint and ship back.
3M is known for it's Quality and cutting edge Technology in everything it produces. We know quality products are only as good as the installation. MasterShield's Installers are Trained and Certified through 3M and Xpel.

Last edited:
"Retired" from several careers: Financial analysis in product development for Ford Motor Company - Consulting Partner in a Big 4 accounting firm - Senior exec for a large Brokerage firm - Golf instructor

Currently: high school math teacher in East Oakland, California, teaching Algebra, Geometry and Calculus

Last edited:
Software engineer. Previously I was a Site Reliability Engineer, technology consultant, and deployed hardware in data centers. I took a break from tech about a decade ago and ran heavy equipment, was a mortgage broker, and worked on farms.

What kind of heavy equipment?
(butting in here....) Pisten Bully 280D groomer, Cat 305CR excavator, Cat 287B skiddie, JD450B crawler-loader & F-650-mounted 65' boom crane. Not real heavy in terms of heavy equipment....but owner-operated, which counts for a lot, I'd say...(didn't own the boom truck, but I still use it...)

(butting in here....) Pisten Bully 280D groomer, Cat 305CR excavator, Cat 287B skiddie, JD450B crawler-loader & F-650-mounted 65' boom crane. Not real heavy in terms of heavy equipment....but owner-operated, which counts for a lot, I'd say...(didn't own the boom truck, but I still use it...)

Ooh. Caterpillar 777 (50 ton end dump), 992 (35 ton front end loader), 623 (paddle wheel scraper -fun!), D9 (dozer - mega fun), Letourneau 50 ton front end loader w/regen, and a Cat blade but don't remember the model ... plus all sorts of misc. mining equip. Oh! And my blaster's license at the time. And none owner-operated. But hella fun.

Yes he has, but sounds like you had fun, too.

I had tons of fun! I remember pulling a diesel fuel delivery truck out of a muddy ravine with a JD 5410. Definitely not safely, the front was nowhere near the ground. We also use to have to move giant shipping container sized dumpsters weighing tons with the bucket of skid steers, which is hard when you're rocking on the front wheels the whole time. Sometimes I really miss those days. I should buy a skid steer next...

For me, the fun was when we'd find a foreman fast asleep on nightshift and wire his doors shut ... or a fellow operator asleep with his bed up in the dump position on the pad and we'd circle his truck and turn on headlights/blast horns together just to see him fly out the door ... hanging a scraper off the edge of the embankment ... or spin a 50 ton end dump out for fun coming down the hill into the mine (that takes skill :) ), pack blasts so that the rocks would hit managements' trucks parked too close to the edge ... or hold stink bug races at 2am in the warehouse with money bets placed on which stink bug would cross the line first. (And we really did get a lot of work done in between. It was a borate mine, Death Valley.)

Good times :).

PICT0026 4.JPG