Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do for work? Just passing time waiting for updates from Tesla :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very strange job.

I take awake functioning human beings and poison them with drugs which;

shut down their brains
drop their blood pressure
make their heart beat less strongly
stop them from breathing or swallowing and
paralyze their muscles

and then I breathe for them and give fluids to resuscitate them.

Next:

I hand a knife to another person and allow them to stab the defenseless person repeatedly.
Until they are done my mission is to keep the person alive.

Finally I give antidotes to the poisons and wake up the person.

And I get paid for this!!

I am an Anesthesiologist.

Yeah - just the other week I got stabbed in the gut by somebody with the help of someone just like you.

And you should see how much money they got off me, too!

There oughta be a law!

I have a very strange job.

I take awake functioning human beings and poison them with drugs which;

shut down their brains
drop their blood pressure
make their heart beat less strongly
stop them from breathing or swallowing and
paralyze their muscles

and then I breathe for them and give fluids to resuscitate them.

Next:

I hand a knife to another person and allow them to stab the defenseless person repeatedly.
Until they are done my mission is to keep the person alive.

Finally I give antidotes to the poisons and wake up the person.

And I get paid for this!!

I am an Anesthesiologist.
Don't they describe your job as 99% boredom, 1% sheer terror?:smile:

Retired 25years inside Folsom Prison with the California Dept Of Corrections. I was the Superintendent of Prison Industries License Plate Factory. Supervised a crew of 150 inmates & 9 staff & we made all license plates & stickers for DMV. If you are in California we made your license plate.:smile:

Naval Architect/Marine Engineer. Title though is "Principal Port Engineer". That means the owner gives me a bucket of cash to keep the ship fully operational.

By the way, my drive motor.....
Twin synchronous, variable speed, reversible, double-wound, Alstom propulsion motors with brush/slip-ring excitation, each rated at 11,262 kW at 120 rpm and mounted in tandem

Last edited:
Retired 25years inside Folsom Prison with the California Dept Of Corrections. I was the Superintendent of Prison Industries License Plate Factory. Supervised a crew of 150 inmates & 9 staff & we made all license plates & stickers for DMV. If you are in California we made your license plate.:smile:
I think I recognize a few of the nicknames here, don't worry your secret is safe with me, no Ashley Madison here.:wink:

This thread reminds me of how my SO answers the question "what do you do?" Here typical answer is "when?" She is both an Attorney and Psychologist, but doesn't identify with either.

I can sort of relate, though I only have one profession. My degree is in Electronic Engineering, but I've worked in software most of my career. Mostly embedded firmware for the first 15 years or so, but more Windows with some embedded now. Currently I'm telecommuting from Portland to Morgan Hill, CA. It's interesting enough work to keep me from getting bored and does a good job of paying the bills, but it isn't my life. I know people who live and breath this stuff but I just can't get into it that deeply.

hospital pharmacist
My wife answers this question with "I sell drugs"... then after a pause: "legally".

I'm a civil engineer working as a consultant in the municipal field. Plenty of diesel gets burned on my projects, which doesn't give me comfort... but being part of projects that provide safe roads, fresh water and proper storm and sanitary sewage disposal balances things to some degree.

My wife answers this question with "I sell drugs"... then after a pause: "legally".

I don't think we end up selling many drugs.
My hospital is on the poor side of town, I think most of our stuff ends up being free in the end.
Many of our patients come in with more drugs on board than they planned on or can handle.

Oh well, it's my night off, no MX news, so time for a cocktail!