Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do for work? Just passing time waiting for updates from Tesla :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have always been a little mystified by how someone can tell where there is a huge underground expanse of oil just by looking around the surface.

With oil exploration they usually have data from seismic studies and possibly other data. Whenever an oil well is drilled, instruments are put down the hole to map the surrounding formations. In a developed or developing formation the Geologist usually has access to the logs of already drilled wells and can make estimates of how deep the reservoir is in a given spot.

With seismic studies they do something to send energy waves into the earth and detect how they are modified and how long it takes for them to get to various sensors placed elsewhere on the surface. Sometimes the energy is created by explosions, sometimes they have thumper trucks that pound the earth.

With shallow oil fields Geologists may be able to tell something from surface features, but pretty much all the world's shallow oil is in in production or played out. Most of the new oil fields being developed comes from deeper depths.

Not sure if I'm surprised theres a lot of IT related people here or if I expected it because the majority of doctors / dentists / lawyers I know buy / lease BMWs or Mercedes.

+1 for IT -

day job - systems administrator
night job - web developer for continued education website for dental students and dentists
when those 2 aren't happening - freelance web developer

(re: workaholic)

itching to breach my current lease and pull the trigger on the model s sooner then later this year.

Long time poster here, but I decided to post this here anyway. I work in the railroad industry. Specifically, I work for a railroad maintenance of way equipment manufacturer. This video is terrible and out dated, but publicly available Racine Railroad Products, Inc. - An Introduction - YouTube

I am a mechanical engineer, but spend most of my time designing control systems and writing software for said control systems. I get to charge my Tesla at work!

I didn't read all the pages to this post, pretty sure I'm the lowliest Tesla Fan on here... I'm not an Engineer, Computer Scientist or CEO of anything.
I work at an Engineered Wood Products Plant, Louisiana Pacific Golden Division. Bunch of different 'positions' around the Mill, my main job is titled 'LVL Sheet Placer'... Glory is upon me!...
I accept my place at the bottom of this totem-pole, I hope to own my Model S this Fall!

I always wanted to be an Engineer, teachers **** all over that dream years ago. Good ol' small town schools! Hick FTW????

Hey LVL (laminated veneer lumber) is great stuff. Just discovered what it was after a contractor on a Habitat for Humanity project I'm working on substituted LSL (laminated strand lumber) for LVL. Building inspector not happy and architect had to scramble with calcs but it all worked out. Basically you're making stronger, more reliable building products using less material. Now that's what we're all about. Welcome to the club.

Until very recently, I was CEO of a startup in France making collaborative Web applications. I'm now looking to work in the energy business to accelerate the transition to EV and solar power. Please message me if you know of a company in Europe I might apply to!