Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do if you get a flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up getting a 5 or 6 ton bottle jack which is great for space, but I think I'd need a level surface and a jack pad.... still I hate the idea of doing that. What do you think?

Odds are against having a suitable surface, right?
Hill, side of road. Can too easily tip over.

Plus, the tire is flat, so the bottom of the car is only inches from the ground.
No way to be assured getting it under the car.

I like this one because it's digital with auto-shutoff, it has a black case, and it fits in the space on the left side of the trunk. https://amzn.to/2qryJKf

buddra
Does the unit or the wires get hot?
Youtubers don't mention either.
I would prefer/add a cig plug to alligator clips converter cable
to go straight to the 12V.
Avoid blown fuses.
The advice on these is to keep the car "running" for that reason,
and to avoid killing the 12V.

"Honey the tire is fixed."

"Honey, the car wont start"

Odds are against having a suitable surface, right?
Hill, side of road. Can too easily tip over.

Plus, the tire is flat, so the bottom of the car is only inches from the ground.
No way to be assured getting it under the car.

buddra
Does the unit or the wires get hot?
Youtubers don't mention either.
I would prefer/add a cig plug to alligator clips converter cable
to go straight to the 12V.
Avoid blown fuses.
The advice on these is to keep the car "running" for that reason,
and to avoid killing the 12V.

"Honey the tire is fixed."

"Honey, the car wont start"

The wires barely get warm. The compressor certainly does get warm, but that's just physics. When you compress air, you get heat. I look at these little compressors as backup plans. They're not meant to be used regularly or continuously.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer
If I may interject with a TPMS noob question. What has to happen after a tire is replaced to ensure the TPMS works? A thing I might have done in the past is take my wheel and tire off at home, and just take the wheel and tire in to a tire shop to have a new tire put on. Then go home and put the wheel and tire back on the car. Can I still do that? Will the tire pressure monitor work? If not, how do you get it working again?

I never used slime to fix flats, just a standard plug kit (5 plugs and the handle), a cigarette lighter powered compressor, and a tube of RTV. Find the nail in your tire, pull it, coat the plug with RTV, and get it in there. It seals and it's flexible, haven't had one leak in 20+ years. Don't even have to take the wheel off.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer
I never used slime to fix flats, just a standard plug kit (5 plugs and the handle), a cigarette lighter powered compressor, and a tube of RTV. Find the nail in your tire, pull it, coat the plug with RTV, and get it in there. It seals and it's flexible, haven't had one leak in 20+ years. Don't even have to take the wheel off.
You still need a jack to get a plug into the rear wheels I would imagine? And it won't solve blow outs.

So you still need to buy a jack, with some sort of adapter, tire plug kit, needle nose pliers to get the nail out? Spare tire at home in case of a blowout?

I have one of these in m RzR (Side x Side) and it works great. Not sure how easy it is to access the battery in the tesla model 3 though? I generally prefer direct battery connection for portable air compressors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, it was my turn to deal with this. Getting on the freeway with my Model 3 I was greeted with a bright red STOP NOW error on screen. I'd had a flat in my Volvo and I took it to Costco who had put the tires on, but Tesla put these tires on, so I called them. Disappointed to find that there is no road hazard warranty like Costco. It's $50 to repair and over $250 if I need a new tire. NOT prorated like Costco. That's not a bargain. The VAN, however, IS cool.

56279414048__153C87E0-0A57-43CB-8106-45C7F14D9D57.JPG

I'd had a super slow leak for a couple of weeks.
IMG_5048.JPG

I had pulled off the freeway and parked, went to get takeout lunch while I waited. Good thing I had my Kiwano scooter with me. Took half an hour for him to show up. He brought cold drinks and coffee for me, nice! Glad I hadn't ordered drinks.
IMG_5055.JPG

Inside the van was a full tire shop. The guy says they have six of the vans now. Based out of Berkeley California, there are no others in the nation. If you have a tire issue elsewhere they tow you or bring a loaner wheel w/tire, you need to return in 3 days.
IMG_5059.JPG

Quite surprised that they don't use the Tesla jack adapter that everyone keeps talking about, just the rubber pad.
IMG_5061.JPG

Worked out amazingly. The hotel at the freeway exit I came off of had a > 48 amp car charger that I was plugged into the entire time. Took me from 70 to 190 miles. I guess it would have been nicer if I had called Tesla when I first had to put air in the tire, could have saved $50 bucks. The tech was great to talk to, learned a lot about Tesla and tires. He even topped off my tires, cleaned and dressed all my wheels.

-Randy

FWIW, I took my new P3D+ straight to America's Tire and bought their tire warranty (about $220 for all 4). Covers rotation, balancing, free flat repair, and replacement for a non-repairable puncture. The Michelin Pilot TO special Acoustic Tech summer tires on the car are about $330 each at Tire Rack. I have historically made out ahead with the AT warranty over the life of the tires.

FWIW, I took my new P3D+ straight to America's Tire and bought their tire warranty (about $220 for all 4). Covers rotation, balancing, free flat repair, and replacement for a non-repairable puncture. The Michelin Pilot TO special Acoustic Tech summer tires on the car are about $330 each at Tire Rack. I have historically made out ahead with the AT warranty over the life of the tires.

you were able to purchase that warranty on the OEM tires?

I just had my rear passenger tire blow out on the highway last night on my Model 3 (4.5k miles on the tire). I called Tesla roadside and they sent out someone to put on a loaner wheel. Over all it was easy and painless. My only gripe is the 20+ min wait time before Tesla roadside actually answered the call. Overall I’m happy with the service.