Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do if your Tesla is stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
Is there some sort of a checklist? Someone had a checklist for accepting a new Tesla and I thought it might be useful to think about how to handle a theft in the same way.

I use my phone as my key and more than once I've thought about someone grabbing my phone (say, at the gym) and driving away with my car. Assuming that P2D is turned off, what is the first thing you do?
  • Do you call the police first and then try to get control of your car?
  • Do you borrow someone else's phone to call your spouse (who hopefully has the Tesla app as well) and have them do something? If so, what?
  • Do you call Tesla? What number do you call and what can they do?
  • Do you rush home and log into the Tesla website?
  • Is there a way to track your car using some website somewhere?
  • Do you remotely wipe your phone? If so, will the car still drive or will it stop?
Ideally, you would want to shut the car down, but I don't know how to do that. I guess I could turn on the seat heaters or something. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: kevin1
Is there some sort of a checklist? Someone had a checklist for accepting a new Tesla and I thought it might be useful to think about how to handle a theft in the same way.

I use my phone as my key and more than once I've thought about someone grabbing my phone (say, at the gym) and driving away with my car. Assuming that P2D is turned off, what is the first thing you do?
  • Do you call the police first and then try to get control of your car?
  • Do you borrow someone else's phone to call your spouse (who hopefully has the Tesla app as well) and have them do something? If so, what?
  • Do you call Tesla? What number do you call and what can they do?
  • Do you rush home and log into the Tesla website?
  • Is there a way to track your car using some website somewhere?
  • Do you remotely wipe your phone? If so, will the car still drive or will it stop?
Ideally, you would want to shut the car down, but I don't know how to do that. I guess I could turn on the seat heaters or something. 🤷‍♀️
Lots of cars stolen every day. I don't see this changing. I would not spend time worrying about it. If it happens, it happens.

If your car is stolen call the police first, and insurance next. They are both better than any of us in handling a stolen vehicle.

Also, do you want a stolen car back? Someone drove it like they stole it, and may have beat the crap out it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lots of cars stolen every day. I don't see this changing. I would not spend time worrying about it. If it happens, it happens.

If your car is stolen call the police first, and insurance next. They are both better than any of us in handling a stolen vehicle.

Also, do you want a stolen car back? Someone drove it like they stole it, and may have beat the crap out it.
+1... police and then insurance. When/if your vehicle is recovered, your insurance company has their own checklist of things to inspect - They will likely ask you to walk the vehicle with them, pointing out anything & everything you believe was caused by the theft... down to the smell inside the cabin. When the insurance company sees you are claiming every little scratch on the outside & inside, mechanical concerns, odor inside the cabin, even the basic "doesn't feel right when I drive it" .... they will most likely try and total the car to avoid a never-ending claim.

If you have an old phone lying around, I'd set that up as a backup key too.

Upvote 0
Can you please elaborate?

My friend had his brand new Honda Accord stolen from his driveway. Of course, he called the police and his insurance company. The car was not located. After two weeks, the insurance company authorized an identical replacement car ordered through the Honda dealership.

Eventually, the police located the car. I don‘t have all the details. My friend who owns a very successful flight school is a highly rated FAA Flight Instructor. He didn’t want the stolen car back. His biggest concern was the possibility of illegal drugs in the car. Plus his car was brand new. He didn’t want the stolen car back after it had been abused or whatever.

Not to be paranoid, but if your livelihood depends on you staying far away from any illegal drugs, you may want to think twice about taking back a stolen car. It can be a concern.

Reactions: RNHurt
Upvote 0
My friend had his brand new Honda Accord stolen from his driveway. Of course, he called the police and his insurance company. The car was not located. After two weeks, the insurance company authorized an identical replacement car ordered through the Honda dealership.

Eventually, the police located the car. I don‘t have all the details. My friend who owns a very successful flight school is a highly rated FAA Flight Instructor. He didn’t want the stolen car back. His biggest concern was the possibility of illegal drugs in the car. Plus his car was brand new. He didn’t want the stolen car back after it had been abused or whatever.

Not to be paranoid, but if your livelihood depends on you staying far away from any illegal drugs, you may want to think twice about taking back a stolen car. It can be a concern.
I can sure see why your friend did not want the car back. Among pilots, Florida is notorious for having stories of charter, flight instructors, and other pilots that supplement their income with quick trips south of the border. And with the FAA and airlines, it is one strike and you are out for life.

Reactions: RNHurt and designrs
Upvote 0

Personally, if my vehicle was stolen and then recovered I wouldn’t want it back either. The drug thing is definitely a concern and important, but I would be more worried about some goon damaging the car mechanically and it never driving the same again after their joy ride.

Upvote 0
I can sure see why your friend did not want the car back. Among pilots, Florida is notorious for having stories of charter, flight instructors, and other pilots that supplement their income with quick trips south of the border. And with the FAA and airlines, it is one strike and you are out for life.

You know, I flew my private plane in Florida for years. I never heard ANY talk about that. NOTHING. Probably because I am in Northeast Florida.

Upvote 0
You know, I flew my private plane in Florida for years. I never heard ANY talk about that. NOTHING. Probably because I am in Northeast Florida.
It is a consistent rumor about pilots in Florida I have heard for 30+ years. Speakers from Florida at Oshkosh were even joking about it.

But, Florida is a big state. I assume things are quite different in South Florida versus Northern Florida. Sort of like here in California. For us, Covid-19 has shown how regional opinions about masking, school closures, etc. are hugely different.

Upvote 0
It is a consistent rumor about pilots in Florida I have heard for 30+ years. Speakers from Florida at Oshkosh were even joking about it.

But, Florida is a big state. I assume things are quite different in South Florida versus Northern Florida. Sort of like here in California. For us, Covid-19 has shown how regional opinions about masking, school closures, etc. are hugely different.
That’s only because we have a clown running the state. Gavin is a total moron. I’d kill for Arnold to come back - he could barely pronounce California but I think he would have handled things different. Hell, even Elon got sick of it and moved.

Reactions: designrs
Upvote 0