Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do if your Tesla is stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
Is there some sort of a checklist? Someone had a checklist for accepting a new Tesla and I thought it might be useful to think about how to handle a theft in the same way.

I use my phone as my key and more than once I've thought about someone grabbing my phone (say, at the gym) and driving away with my car. Assuming that P2D is turned off, what is the first thing you do?
  • Do you call the police first and then try to get control of your car?
  • Do you borrow someone else's phone to call your spouse (who hopefully has the Tesla app as well) and have them do something? If so, what?
  • Do you call Tesla? What number do you call and what can they do?
  • Do you rush home and log into the Tesla website?
  • Is there a way to track your car using some website somewhere?
  • Do you remotely wipe your phone? If so, will the car still drive or will it stop?
Ideally, you would want to shut the car down, but I don't know how to do that. I guess I could turn on the seat heaters or something. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: kevin1
If you have P2D enabled no one can just hop in and steal your Tesla vehicle even if they have your phone and/or Tesla key card.

Everyone should absolutely set up 2-factor authentication (2FA) on their Tesla account. With 2FA it would be very difficult for someone to compromise your Tesla account. If your Tesla account is compromised someone can locate, track your Tesla vehicle. They can also change the Tesla account password, email as well as authorize additional phones and add and delete key cards.

Setting up 2FA on your Tesla account is easy to do.

Upvote 0
  • Track the location via the app and report it to the authorities. If you don't have a mobile device available, you can use an emulator such as Bluestacks to run the app on a desktop.
  • You could try enabling Valet Mode and/or Speed Limit mode in an effort to slow the thief down.
  • If the car is stopped, you could try popping the frunk and trunk, flashing the lights, honking the horn, etc. This might prevent the thief from driving off again and could bring attention to the vehicle.

Reactions: Saxgod and designrs
Upvote 0

Do Teslas even get stolen? lol

Upvote 0

Do Teslas even get stolen? lol
I am sure if one wanted one bad enough they could steal it. Just use a flatbed towing truck. Wear a mask. Pull up to the Tesla, throw some dollies under the tires, and load. Gone it 2-3 minutes. Take it some place and start cutting.

Upvote 0
In the event that a Tesla is stolen, it could be easily tracked. With the authorities involved Tesla could invoke a protocol to safely remotely stop the car, effectively stopping the carjacker in their tracks, then override the locks to trap them in the car - bait car style!
But in all seriousness, they would never do that. Just call the cops and then your insurance company. It’s just a car.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:
1) Call the police
2) Call your insurance company
THANK YOU.

I know we often times joke that our cars are "spaceships", but the truth is... they're JUST CARS. Chasing down your Tesla to confront your thieves sounds ridiculous and dangerous. Call the police. Report the car stolen. Offer that you can tell them exactly where it is and see what they want to do.

Meanwhile, how often do Teslas really get stolen? I have to assume thieves know that Teslas have camera all over the cars and don't require simple keys to operate. I have to assume it's more rare to have a Tesla stolen than say...a Honda Accord.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
THANK YOU.

I know we often times joke that our cars are "spaceships", but the truth is... they're JUST CARS. Chasing down your Tesla to confront your thieves sounds ridiculous and dangerous. Call the police. Report the car stolen. Offer that you can tell them exactly where it is and see what they want to do.

Meanwhile, how often do Teslas really get stolen? I have to assume thieves know that Teslas have camera all over the cars and don't require simple keys to operate. I have to assume it's more rare to have a Tesla stolen than say...a Honda Accord.

According to this, only a couple hundred! With a 97% return rate! I also have a 2018 Accord that Honda won’t lemon despite its auto-braking system trying to kill me monthly. God, I wish they would steal that car. It’s a pos.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0