Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what do you do in an accident if the car is disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was watching a Youtube video where tow truck operators are vultures/crooks trying to get business by misleading people in accidents so I was thinking ... I don't have a clue what to do if I have an accident where the car is not drivable. I have never had an accident so I'm wondering what to do if I'm ever in one with my model 3. Let's say the accident breaks a wheel axle and the car can not be driven. I have towing in my insurance but where should the tow truck take the car? A Tesla service center? a certified Tesla repair shop, if so, how do you know where they are? etc?

Thanks

Reactions: SlimJim
On teslas website:

=============================
(relevant text at this link)

Body Shop Support​

Body repairs are not only about fixing a damaged aesthetic — they are also important to ensure the functionality, safety and longevity of your Tesla.

Tesla Service Centers​

Tesla Service Centers can perform a wide variety of collision repairs, specializing in parts replacement. Repairs include:
  • Front and rear bumpers
  • Hoods
  • Liftgates
  • Side mirror caps
  • Doors
  • Wheels
  • All glass
  • Suspension and axle damage (e.g. curb hits and potholes)
To schedule an appointment at a Tesla Service Center, sign in to the Tesla app and select ‘Collision & Glass Repair’ from the Service Menu. You will be prompted to describe the repair and upload photos to help us quickly assess the damage. If you are using insurance, please be sure to let us know your carrier and claim number.
In the event we cannot perform your repair in service, we will refer you to a Tesla Body Repair Center or a Tesla Approved Body Shop.

Tesla Body Repair Centers​

Tesla owns and operates Body Repair Centers that specialize in structural damage. Tesla Body Repair Centers are currently available in the following cities:
To schedule an appointment at a Tesla Body Repair Center, login to the Tesla app and select ‘Collision repair’ from the Service Menu. If your vehicle has detected a recent collision alert, you will be able to schedule at a Body Repair Center directly. Otherwise, contact each location directly at the email addresses above. Please include collision pictures, your insurance carrier and claim number in the body of the email requesting the appointment.
Confirm appointment availability with your local Tesla Body Repair Center prior to having your Tesla vehicle towed to the location.

Tesla-Approved Body Shop Network​

In addition to Tesla Body Repair Centers, we’ve partnered with the world’s best body shops to form the ever-growing Tesla-Approved Body Shop Network. We demand the highest standards from our Tesla-Approved Body Shop Network through rigorous training and assessments. To schedule an appointment, please contact the body shop directly.
For additional support, please contact us. Be sure to include your VIN and any relevant body shop information.
Find your nearest body shop as well as their contact information using the search bar below:

(along with a list of authorized body shops)

Someone backed their SUV into the front of my Model 3. There was a lot of cosmetic damage, but nothing that made the car unsafe to drive. I went to the Tesla website and found the nearest authorized Tesla collision center and took it there. I strongly urge you not to take the car to anything but a Tesla authorized collision center. You want the people working on your Tesla to have experience both in repairing Teslas and in dealing with Tesla (the company). Insurance companies are notorious for trying to get you to bring your car to a body shop that they want you to use. Don't let them! And, if your car is still under warranty, they have to allow you to bring the car to a Tesla authorized collision center.

Go watch the YT video from Ryan Shaw. He just did an entire video on him being rear-ended and the car not being operable. Literally nothing. There is a fuse that blows to stop any sort of fire and cuts off everything. There is a name for it but I forgot.

Bottom line and his major lesson. If inoperable DO NOT call anyone other than Tesla roadside assistance for towing.

Go watch the YT video from Ryan Shaw. He just did an entire video on him being rear-ended and the car not being operable. Literally nothing. There is a fuse that blows to stop any sort of fire and cuts off everything. There is a name for it but I forgot.

Bottom line and his major lesson. If inoperable DO NOT call anyone other than Tesla roadside assistance for towing.
Yep I watched this the other night and this was my learning as well.

You could have them tow it to your house then let the insurance company come out and deal with it. If it is at your house you will be able to get your stuff out of it and not worry about items being stolen out of it or off of the car
Bear in mind that the estimate an insurance company adjustor gives you will be considerably less than what it will actually cost to repair your car. Why? Because they want to spend as little as possible on your repairs. An SUV backed into my M3 in October. The insurance company's adjustor estimated the cost of repairs to be just over $3000. I took the car to a Tesla Authorized Collision Center. Their initial estimate was $6285. The final cost was $9206.

Bear in mind that the estimate an insurance company adjustor gives you will be considerably less than what it will actually cost to repair your car. Why? Because they want to spend as little as possible on your repairs. An SUV backed into my M3 in October. The insurance company's adjustor estimated the cost of repairs to be just over $3000. I took the car to a Tesla Authorized Collision Center. Their initial estimate was $6285. The final cost was $9206.
Truer words have rarely been spoken. My insurance adjustor told me that cost would be about $3200. The initial estimate from a Tesla Authorized repair center was $6400. The final costs came to $9268.

Very informative! I had no idea about the "pyro fuse"....took me a bit to find the video you mentioned so here is the link!

If your car is not drivable, your insurance company will usually arrange for a tow truck to take it to a nearby facility for repairs. It's best to ask your insurance company for a list of certified repair shops for your car model. If your car is a Tesla, the tow truck should take the car to a Tesla service center or certified Tesla repair shop.
When in doubt, always ask for recommendations from your car manufacturer or insurance company.
My situation. Tesla MY hit by another car and isn't driveable so had to have my insurance tow it to my home because the Tesla collision center has no room, they're voicemail box is even full and couldn't get through. My appointment is 3 weeks from now so I will have to have it flatbed towed there. I could've left it at the several 3rd party tesla approved repair shops, but they all said several weeks or months before they can look at it and my passenger window is stuck fully open.

My car was was in an accident in October of 2021. Here in MA there were no Tesla Collision Centers at that time. I took it to a Tesla approved Collision center. Unlike your car, mine was drivable. They gave me an initial estimate and told me it would be about 2 weeks until they would have room for it. Three weeks later they told me to bring it in. Another 6 weeks after that the car was finished. I have to say that they did a phenomenal job. So, maybe you should consider a Tesla approved collision center if they can do the job sooner

My car was was in an accident in October of 2021. Here in MA there were no Tesla Collision Centers at that time. I took it to a Tesla approved Collision center. Unlike your car, mine was drivable. They gave me an initial estimate and told me it would be about 2 weeks until they would have room for it. Three weeks later they told me to bring it in. Another 6 weeks after that the car was finished. I have to say that they did a phenomenal job. So, maybe you should consider a Tesla approved collision center if they can do the job sooner
It looks like I'm in a pickle here. With the huge price drop in both new and used tesla prices this year, I'm going have to find a tesla certified repair shop that won't over inflate the repair estimate. I want the MY repaired since the "actual cash value" is a lot less if totaled. Auto loan interest rates are higher now (my monthly payments would be higher depending on the down payment), I would only recover some of my down payment $ after the MY loan is paid off and you never recoup the FSD purchase value when you get rid of your Tesla. Also I'll have to wait several months for a new tesla MY LR 7-seater and the same car configuration will cost more. I'm sure I'll have to fight for the diminished value if repaired since they always start lowballing and this will be a major decision factor for the insurance deciding if they should do a total loss on the MY, here in Texas it's a mandatory total loss if repairs are more than 100% of the car's value. Insurance companies do make profit totaling their customer's Teslas and then selling them at salvage auctions.