Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do when sentry catches your co-worker hitting your car with their door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had this happen. I just moved offices at work, and my office is next to a guy I don't know. He's from Russia I think, works on a different team. We have window offices, so we both park outside our windows where we can see our cars, and end up parking next to each other.
So I heard him leave, and looked out a few seconds later, and saw that his car door appeared to accidentally hit mine after he got into his car. He opened his door to the first stop, his foot hit his door as he was getting into his seat, and that sent the door out to the second stop, just barely hitting my door. You can see his door bounce off my car in the sentry footage. I didn't see any dents, chips, or scratches. But my car is pearl white, and does not really show chips because of the white primer underneath. Probably won't know until I do another detail.
So what would you do? I'm certain it was an accident. He didn't even appear to give it a second thought. Probably does not even know whose car it is. But this guy will probably be parking next to me alot. I doubt he has any idea that I care about paint chips and dents, or that I have this on video.

I had someone ding my door while I was sitting in the car (2014 Model S). The lady gave me attitude, probably because of the look on my face, and she walked away. I got out to assess the damage and couldn't find even the slightest scratch or dent. It seemed like a pretty hard hit based on how it sounded inside the car. Anyway, if you have to look super hard to see any damage, why worry about it? Also, from my experience, door dings don't affect the trade-in value much, if at all. The pros are so good at fixing those things these days that there is little concern about them.

Anyway, if you have to look super hard to see any damage, why worry about it?

My previous car, a Infiniti G37, was in good condition when I bought it used with about 36K on it. I was living in a townhouse at the time, with no garage and no dedicated parking spots. Over a few years, the nearly flawless door got over a dozen door dings, with some scratching and taking off some paint. You may think what's one ding, and I did the same at first and never got any of them fixed, but after a few years they accumulated and really detracted from the appearance of my car IMO. Someone did actually comment on it once, without me bringing it up first.
Difference here is that I had no idea who made the dings or any proof(I suspect most were from my neighbor), but with sentry on the Tesla, you know.

Just had this happen. I just moved offices at work, and my office is next to a guy I don't know. He's from Russia I think, works on a different team. We have window offices, so we both park outside our windows where we can see our cars, and end up parking next to each other.
So I heard him leave, and looked out a few seconds later, and saw that his car door appeared to accidentally hit mine after he got into his car. He opened his door to the first stop, his foot hit his door as he was getting into his seat, and that sent the door out to the second stop, just barely hitting my door. You can see his door bounce off my car in the sentry footage. I didn't see any dents, chips, or scratches. But my car is pearl white, and does not really show chips because of the white primer underneath. Probably won't know until I do another detail.
So what would you do? I'm certain it was an accident. He didn't even appear to give it a second thought. Probably does not even know whose car it is. But this guy will probably be parking next to me alot. I doubt he has any idea that I care about paint chips and dents, or that I have this on video.
From Russia? I’d tweet Trump and ask him to have his KGB buddy Putin handle it.

Park in outer mongolia. That's what I do.

I get in early yet I park way up on the 3rd floor garage in a charging spot that's between a handicapped spot that almost no one parks in and a wall.

The reason I do so is because one of my colleagues accused me of hitting his model 3. I had parked in the space before he arrived and returned to find him there calling the cops for minor damage (that could have easily been there at delivery). This happened in the days before sentry mode.

So now I just stay clear of everyone to not attract damage to my car and to not be accused of damaging others' cars.

People simply don't care about your car and since many people are physically big they need to open their car doors wider, thus resulting in dings.

I use mine in the garage, with foam pads. High risk area due to family members, who do treat cars like appliances.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_205819693.jpg
    IMG_20190804_205819693.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 99