TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What do you do while supercharging?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Joeker88, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Joeker88

Joeker88 Member

2. dhcp

dhcp Member

If I'm not grabbing some food, I use it as an opportunity to call Mom. I probably don't call her enough but she always appreciates it and I have a good 30 minutes where I can give her 100% attention and be the good son.

• Like x 12
  3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I've never waited in line. Pretty much a California thing. Last time my car was in California, it was on a truck making its escape.

BTW, making a video of yourself saying you don't really need to charge, you're just doing it because "it's free" while other people are waiting in line? Questionable taste.

• Like x 6
  4. roblab

roblab Active Member

GOOD POINT! I don't wait in line. I plan my route so I don't have to stop at the half dozen or so superchargers that might have lines. I plan my route so I supercharge in the morning hours on week days. Some can't do this, I know. And I charge at home. So I don't use super chargers all that much, unless on a trip.

But I do trips. 2000 miles plus, several times a year for four years. I make use of 14-50 outlets at motels overnight, and use L2 chargers between superchargers, or else I slow down to go the distance.

5. dhcp

dhcp Member

No kidding, that guy is part of the problem.

Yes, I suppose waiting is California thing. I charge at home at night so it's rare that I go to a SC but when I pull in and can charge right away I want to tell everyone I know (and watch them roll their eyes...)

• Like x 1
  6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I browse around places I don't expect to find anything to buy, but then end up spending more money than I would on gas.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go.

Oops.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I browse TMC on my phone. Doesn't everyone? :)

• Like x 3
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Well, since you have nothing better to do ...

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Joeker88

Joeker88 Member

Smart move calling mom!

10. Joeker88

Joeker88 Member

I get you thanks. But aren't we given this option for owning a tesla? Now by charging there means less charging at home meaning that just saved me some money. I use supercharging so seldom since there's non too close from me so it's awesome to get plugged once in a while. Thanks for watching buddy.

11. Joeker88

Joeker88 Member

Maybe it's a economic conspiracy. Lol

12. Joeker88

Joeker88 Member

Guys relax about the charging. Like I said I go to SC soooooooooo rare and its great to be a give it ago once in a blue moon. But as a Tesla owner I have all the right to use it. Now when someone says "can I charge first because I'm traveling?" I would say "be my guest."

13. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Come on, be realistic here. No one is going to come up to you and say that, because they'd have no way of knowing that you're not in the same situation that they are in.

The point people are trying to make is that while you definitely have the "right" to charge, supercharging when you don't need to, while others are waiting, is just rude and inconsiderate. Yes, you have the right to be rude and inconsiderate, but most people who decide they are going to be rude and inconsiderate don't make and promote videos of themselves being rude and inconsiderate.

That's all.

• Like x 9
  14. number12

number12 Active Member

I watched the video to try to find something to defend the free charging attacks, but now I just the minutes of my life back.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Joeker88

Joeker88 Member

Ok guys I apologize for my mistake.

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 1
  16. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

When traveling with the family, I always get a picture of my 12 year old son connecting the supercharger. We did a father and son trip to pick up the car and he got to plug it in for the first time, and now every time since on our road trips. Kind of became a tradition and it's fun to look back on the pictures from each supercharger we have visited.

After that, by the time I find a restroom and grab a snack, it's usually time to go and the car is usually ready before I am.

• Like x 4
  17. Cellsaver

Cellsaver Member

Boring I know but I created a driver profile called "Charging" that moves my seat way back, then I get my laptop out, tether to my phone and catch up on work emails. Then when I'm done I click on my regular driver profile which puts everything back then take off.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

It's too bad this thread started off on the wrong foot, as I find its thread-head premise worthy.

Made a rare trip into Deepest California over the MLK weekend and, although we thought that by sneaking out on Sunday we'd avoid the travel crunch at SpCs, alas that was not the case.

So:

I spent my time at the oft-crowded Cabazon SpC as traffic cop, keeping the line orderly and compact, apprising new arrivals of the situation and making sure that occurrences like the five-car line jumper were swiftly taken care of. 'Course, that particular driver got his immediate comeuppance as he snuck into the one non-functioning slot. That kept him from being lynched by the other drivers, but when he departed he didn't go to the end of the line; rather ¿back home? or to somewhere else, modest evidence that he didn't need to charge.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  19. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

so how bad is the waiting in California? Might make me rethink my upcoming trip.

20. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Superchargers are for enabling long distance travel, not for mooching electricity while others, who may not have other options, are made to wait. The small number of times I've opportunity charged at a local SC, I've only done so when there were no other owners waiting. I think this should be everyone's policy.

• Like x 5