Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never waited in line. Pretty much a California thing. Last time my car was in California, it was on a truck making its escape.

BTW, making a video of yourself saying you don't really need to charge, you're just doing it because "it's free" while other people are waiting in line? Questionable taste.

GOOD POINT! I don't wait in line. I plan my route so I don't have to stop at the half dozen or so superchargers that might have lines. I plan my route so I supercharge in the morning hours on week days. Some can't do this, I know. And I charge at home. So I don't use super chargers all that much, unless on a trip.

But I do trips. 2000 miles plus, several times a year for four years. I make use of 14-50 outlets at motels overnight, and use L2 chargers between superchargers, or else I slow down to go the distance.

I've never waited in line. Pretty much a California thing. Last time my car was in California, it was on a truck making its escape.

BTW, making a video of yourself saying you don't really need to charge, you're just doing it because "it's free" while other people are waiting in line? Questionable taste.

No kidding, that guy is part of the problem.

Yes, I suppose waiting is California thing. I charge at home at night so it's rare that I go to a SC but when I pull in and can charge right away I want to tell everyone I know (and watch them roll their eyes...)

Reactions: Joelc

I get you thanks. But aren't we given this option for owning a tesla? Now by charging there means less charging at home meaning that just saved me some money. I use supercharging so seldom since there's non too close from me so it's awesome to get plugged once in a while. Thanks for watching buddy.

Guys relax about the charging. Like I said I go to SC soooooooooo rare and its great to be a give it ago once in a blue moon. But as a Tesla owner I have all the right to use it. Now when someone says "can I charge first because I'm traveling?" I would say "be my guest."

Guys relax about the charging. Like I said I go to SC soooooooooo rare and its great to be a give it ago once in a blue moon. But as a Tesla owner I have all the right to use it. Now when someone says "can I charge first because I'm traveling?" I would say "be my guest."

Come on, be realistic here. No one is going to come up to you and say that, because they'd have no way of knowing that you're not in the same situation that they are in.

The point people are trying to make is that while you definitely have the "right" to charge, supercharging when you don't need to, while others are waiting, is just rude and inconsiderate. Yes, you have the right to be rude and inconsiderate, but most people who decide they are going to be rude and inconsiderate don't make and promote videos of themselves being rude and inconsiderate.

That's all.

When traveling with the family, I always get a picture of my 12 year old son connecting the supercharger. We did a father and son trip to pick up the car and he got to plug it in for the first time, and now every time since on our road trips. Kind of became a tradition and it's fun to look back on the pictures from each supercharger we have visited.

After that, by the time I find a restroom and grab a snack, it's usually time to go and the car is usually ready before I am.

It's too bad this thread started off on the wrong foot, as I find its thread-head premise worthy.

Made a rare trip into Deepest California over the MLK weekend and, although we thought that by sneaking out on Sunday we'd avoid the travel crunch at SpCs, alas that was not the case.

So:

I spent my time at the oft-crowded Cabazon SpC as traffic cop, keeping the line orderly and compact, apprising new arrivals of the situation and making sure that occurrences like the five-car line jumper were swiftly taken care of. 'Course, that particular driver got his immediate comeuppance as he snuck into the one non-functioning slot. That kept him from being lynched by the other drivers, but when he departed he didn't go to the end of the line; rather ¿back home? or to somewhere else, modest evidence that he didn't need to charge.