TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What do you do with your fob at the beach?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by soaring47, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. soaring47

soaring47 Member

Waiting on delivery of a MX (picking up next week!) so this is my first experience with a Tesla.

With my current ICE car, when I go swimming, I leave my valuables in my car and then put my key in a coded door hanger lockbox on my car's door handle.

My understanding is that with the Tesla when the FOB is near the car, it unlocks. So I'm assuming I couldn't do it the same way as before since the fob would be near the car, keeping it unlocked.

Curious to hear how others have (or would) handle this.

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Since you have an X, you can put the key fob in the back next to the left rear wheel well — it's a dead zone where the car will not recognize the key. Then just use the app on your phone to lock and unlock.

• Like x 1
  3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

If I go anywhere that requires that I place valuables in a separate location, I leave the fob at home, and use my phone to access and operate the vehicle.

4. soaring47

soaring47 Member

I should note: I can't take my phone with me , gets left in the car. (Otherwise I'd either have to leave it on beach or somehow bring it with me swimming)

5. Haxster

Haxster Member

6. Only Trons

Only Trons Supporting Member

You could also try putting your fob in an RF shielded pouch inside the lockbox. I purchased pouches from R A Mayes for all my fobs. Interestingly, the ones I purchased in 2013 for my S work very well....with the fob in the sealed pouch, it is not recognized by the car no matter the location of the fob. I purchased two more in 2016 for my X but the shielding doesn't seem to be as good. My X kept unlocking itself with the fob in the pouch inside the vehicle. I see that Mayes now has another newer pouch which seems to have better shielding .. may have to purchase new ones.

RA Mayes | EMC, RF, Microwave and Environmental Test Systems

• Informative x 2
  7. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

8. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

I've had the same issue. The only solution I came up with is to leave the fob in a friend's ICE car (with an old-school key that he can take swimming). I wonder if the Model 3 access cards will be water-proof?

9. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I've been wondering about a solution for this in case I decide to take the Tesla for surfing someday instead of the Prius. Is there a good smartwatch app that can unlock a Tesla? If so, the best option would be to leave the keys at home, and take the smartwatch into the water.

10. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

sorry.. why not bring the FOB with you in your beach bag? I'm confused.

11. soaring47

soaring47 Member

Swim solo (applies to surfers who surf solo as well). So leaving the bag unattended on the beach would make it easy for someone to swipe the bag. (Even if they didn't use it to access your car, now you are locked out of your car, fobless)

12. hndmountains

hndmountains Member

Maybe you can put the fob in the RF shielded pouch and hide it under the car?
    Or put the pouch in your frunk and open the frunk without using the fob?
    (there are quite a few videos teaching you how to do it. The only thing is the alarm will sound)

13. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

The RF shield bag/pouch is a good idea. I don't know about the X, but we've had reports here of owners of S's using an Altoids metal box with a lockbox to secure their fob.

14. RayW

RayW Member

The fob is small. Get a waterproof phone pouch that hangs around your neck and tuck it under your wetsuit.

• Like x 3
  15. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Plasti-dip it. Several coats.

• Like x 2