Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your loose change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
I try to use my phone or debit card whenever I can but sometimes it's just easier to pay with cash. The problem is that there is no good place to store change in my MY. I don't want to just throw it in the console; it's hard to find and it rolls around/rattles. Other cars usually have some small pocket in the dash or something that works fine for a few coins, but not a Tesla.

Something like a spring loaded clip velcroed to the inside of the center console might work. I don't need a lot of storage, just a few coins of each denomination would be fine. Any ideas?

I've seen that and it could work in a pinch, but I was thinking of something a bit more purposeful. Maybe something like this or this but thinner and more vertical. My idea is that it would hold a couple of coins in a spring loaded slot that you could hide on the wall of the the center console.

UPDATE: The "coin boy" looks pretty close to what I'm thinking of. If only it was available in plain black instead of all the wild colors.

Last edited:
I just have a little coin bag(could be anything like ziploc bag, a little bag that comes with when you buy a jewelry..) that I keep under the armrest in case I need to pay for parking. I rarely use the coin so it stays hidden and out of the way for the most part.

I use an old Ice Breakers mint container like this:

91Bwt8oe0gL._SX425_PIbundle-16,TopRight,0,0_AA425SH20_.jpg

It has a large opening on one side that keeps the coins go in/out easy, and then I just throw it in the console.

I try to use my phone or debit card whenever I can but sometimes it's just easier to pay with cash. The problem is that there is no good place to store change in my MY. I don't want to just throw it in the console; it's hard to find and it rolls around/rattles. Other cars usually have some small pocket in the dash or something that works fine for a few coins, but not a Tesla.

Something like a spring loaded clip velcroed to the inside of the center console might work. I don't need a lot of storage, just a few coins of each denomination would be fine. Any ideas?
I've struggled with this forever -- the rattling of coins drives me nuts.

I would recommend getting some open-ended coin rolls, the thicker the better. Not the machine-rolled coins from a bank that you have to tear open -- the old school manual kind that you can fold open and closed.

I've used spring-loaded devices, including one that was built into a Tesla storage tray accessory, and they end up making enough noise to be annoying in their own right.

Although this guy gets pretty good reviews: https://smile.amazon.com/JoyTutus-H...keywords=coin+dispenser&qid=1608403769&sr=8-3

I don't understand, just spend it, no? If you are not using credit cards, which is where you are getting the change in the first place, why not count it out in line and spend it at the register? Sometimes I get too much change in my pocket, so I separate the quarters out and stack them in the car for vending machines. The wife just leaves her change on the dresser so I pocket it and pretty soon it's gone too.

I don't understand, just spend it, no? If you are not using credit cards, which is where you are getting the change in the first place, why not count it out in line and spend it at the register? Sometimes I get too much change in my pocket, so I separate the quarters out and stack them in the car for vending machines. The wife just leaves her change on the dresser so I pocket it and pretty soon it's gone too.

Just last night I went through the drive thru at a local taco place and the price was $9.52. I had a $10 bill but no change and I didn't want to get a bunch of change back so it could rattle around the car. So, I paid via debit card. If I would have had a couple of pennies I could have paid in cash and gotten 2 quarters back, which is quite manageable.

Like I said before, I don't really want to keep a bunch of change in the car, but a few pennies or quarters would be quite handy sometimes.

Just last night I went through the drive thru at a local taco place and the price was $9.52. I had a $10 bill but no change and I didn't want to get a bunch of change back so it could rattle around the car. So, I paid via debit card. If I would have had a couple of pennies I could have paid in cash and gotten 2 quarters back, which is quite manageable.

Like I said before, I don't really want to keep a bunch of change in the car, but a few pennies or quarters would be quite handy sometimes.

spend the $20 on the Prius ashtray I previously told you about. Ask your significant other to buy it for you. It would make a perfect stocking stuffer.

You know it's been years since I've carried cash or change. This thread made me think of this unusual fact!

I still use cash but haven’t kept change in many years. In my previous car, BMW 335i, I sat so low that change would fall out of my pocket into the seat track mechanism. The four little spring loaded slots in the car for quarters seized up and I couldn’t get them out even with a pair of pliers. I got into the habit of leaving coin in the tip jar or humane society jar, whatever, rather than hassle with it, don’t miss it.

My wife, OTOH, keeps change in the ashtray in the center console of her BMW X5. A penny jumped over the forward edge and fell into the innards of the console and would slide forward and back inside every time she accelerated and braked, driving her nuts. She’s very frugal, so instead of having a mechanic get it out she bought some plastic pry bars, found a YouTube video describing the process, and pulled out the center console, electronic shifter and all. Turns out the penny fell into a thin vertical slot a bit wider than the coin that ran the entire length of the console so it was freely rolling fore and aft. Couldn’t do that in a million years if one tried. She reassembled everything and proudly showed me her work. I was duly impressed, but she had two long screws left over and it was way too much trouble to take it apart to find where they go so she’s hoping nothing will come loose.

Last edited:

Not sure what you thought while you were writing this, but if you look back at it now, does it seem helpful or constructive in any way?

Person says, "I have a problem" and your answer is, "don't have that problem"!

You know it's been years since I've carried cash or change. This thread made me think of this unusual fact!
Same here. I haven't even had an ATM card in 10+ years as I always pay with a credit card so that I can earn airline miles. (I flew all the way around the world first class/business class a few years back for $80 + miles, "saving" over $25,000 off airfare.)

About the only time I have cash is when my grandma sends me $10 for my birthday every year. I then end up giving that away as a tip. The only other time I've had cash recently was when I would tip after getting a haircut. I would have a stack of dollar bills that would last me for a year or more. Now we just do haircuts at home and Flowbee doesn't get a tip. :)

I do have a console "tray" qi charger in my Model S that also has a place to hold coins but I've never had coins in it. I have an antique spittoon at home that holds all my spare change but the contents are probably only growing at a dollar or so per year, from coins I find on the street.

Reactions: Spacep0d