Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your right foot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
When on Traffic Aware Cruise Control or Lane Aware Cruise Control (what auto pilot should be named) where do you put your right foot? Hoovering over the brake? Hoovering over the go pedal? Flat on the floor? Resting the foot on its side? There is a nice dead pedal for the left foot, but my right foot doesn't know where to go.

I hover over the accelerator pedal so when "phantom braking" occurs, I can keep it going immediately. If I don't, my wife yells at me and tells me to stop using autopilot.

I agree! Most of the time my foot is on the floor, but if the traffic gets tough, it hovers over the accelerator. I found that if I do need to override the Autopilot, it's the accelerator pedal more often than the brake. Brake is rarely needed - the Autopilot does a good job braking. In fact, I found that it is better and safer not to touch the brake pedal at all (if possible), because touching it would disable the Autopilot.

And when I am coming to a red light or a highway exit, I simply turn off the Autopilot and let the regenerative braking do its job. I only need to press the brake to achieve the full stop with no car in front. Otherwise, TACC does it for me.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
upload_2018-7-7_10-22-30.png

Legit thread as I have struggled with the correct answer as well. I have fully concluded that Tesla seriously needs to offer a right hand dead pedal. I mean seriously if FSD is expected to be coming, everyone will need to put their right foot somewhere. As EAP is first ante into this, and, again, we need to put our right foot somewhere and I haven't found the perfect solution (other than the missing right side dead pedal). It's not like we have a transmission hump to deal with.

For now, I wedge it into the center console and use friction to keep it just off the pedal. Helpful for EAP sudden stops, but probably not the safest choice ...

PS wouldn't having a right hand dead pedal be an awesome marketing angle?

Last edited: