Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you expect from the new government? EV-Related only!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the liberals are in power, do you expect anything in terms of promoting green transportation and/or EV incentives at the federal level? Are we going to be like Norway, ever?

OK, I was trying to hide it but i'm SO HAPPY of the change :D. But at the same time, I feel really sad for Mulcair.

I doubt they will do much here since Transportation is primarily of Provincial jurisdiction. Trudeau seems willing to work with the provinces whereas Harper that he was above speaking to Premiers across the country. Perhaps they can help coordinate a consistent policy since but the provies don't like it when the Feds start putting their hands in areas that have traditional belonged to the provies -see securities regulation.

But we will likely see more efforts to reduce GHG emissions which should help EVs.

Now that the liberals are in power, do you expect anything in terms of promoting green transportation and/or EV incentives at the federal level? Are we going to be like Norway, ever?

OK, I was trying to hide it but i'm SO HAPPY of the change :D. But at the same time, I feel really sad for Mulcair.

I have pretty high hopes and believe most of the population does as well. Canada has the opportunity to be a global leader in the transition to EV's. @Ikhalid, respect you, Sir.

Most people seem to have a short memory when it comes to politics. Last time the Libs were in power, they were practically run out of town on a rail due to their various scandals and rampant spending. Even the Cons looked good in comparison. :rolleyes:

The new administration shares many of the same policies the Cons were being criticized for, such as support for oil pipelines.

And you know things are going to be a mess when those in charge openly plan to run up a budget deficit for the first 3 years and then magically fix it all in the 4th.

Who really knows though? Maybe they'll surprise me. I can't help but think that most people were so focused on "change" that they didn't give any thought to what they were changing to.

Expectations should be directly in line with YOUR efforts here:

Please copy and paste to your elected official.

Help tesla realize their vision-vote for federal ev incentives!

- - - Updated - - -

And here (outside of Canada):

New york times-ev incentives

TMC-mobile.png

New york times-ev incentivesTesla Enthusiasts and Owners

View on www.teslamotorsclub...
Preview by Yahoo

Last edited:
The Libs did campaign on building renewable energy infrastructure, or something like that. Of the various parties, I'd expect them to have a EV credit more than anybody else.

As for the oil pipeline thing, even the NDP campaigned on building oil pipelines, expanding the tar sands, and even building oil refineries. So all the major parties were pretty much in agreement there.

I'll disagree with my good friend Mayhem, though, Harper's spending far outstripped the Liberal's. They inherited a surplus remember. Somehow through cognitive dissonance the right thought that they were economic geniuses. Where is that missing $3 billion anyway?

What do I expect? I really don't know. I was hoping for an NDP or Liberal minority government. I'm worried that the TPP will get passed.

Just a reminder... this is not a political forum; it's a car forum. Please keep any discussion relevant to the topic of Tesla, electric vehicles, sustainable energy, and the like.

Also: It's okay in this explicitly political thread to discuss these topics from a political perspective, as long as things are kept polite and respectful. So far so good, so maybe Canadians really are more polite... but let's not put that to the test, okay? If this goes off the rails it is going to get heavily moderated very quickly!

Well, I don't think we could reasonably expect much change from any re-elected government, so a new government is our best chance for change... of some sort. Whether that will be good or bad, I don't know, but I hope it will be less predicatable than what we've seen. We need to get on board with climate change - the policies to date have been pretty embarrassing. Any government that can recognize that reality-reality will ultimately trump both political reality and economic reality will get my support. Whether that is the newly-elected Liberals or not, only time will tell.

I sent an email to the three candidates in my riding prior to the election, stating my concern about climate change and offering to take them for a drive in the car, look at my solar panels etc. It was an experiment of sorts... I got a canned response from the NDP, sent by a campaign worker I assume... nothing from the incumbent Conservative (who kept her seat oddly enough)... and a personal positive response from the Liberal. A statistically-insignificant sampling for sure... but the election is done and I can only hope that the Liberals will do something useful rather than whatever we've come to expect from all parties and governments.

In a sense, I suspect many Canadians saw Justin as our Obama - looking to make change. Certainly he seemed to get younger voters interested in the process, which is an achievement in itself. He's younger, so maybe there will be a slightly different vision to what we've seen from older politicians.

If the platform calls for big spending, maybe some of that will go to charging infrastructure and EV rebates etc... we can only hope.

Unfortunately, politics attracts politicians. The old joke about them being like diapers and needing to be changed often and for the same reason generally applies...

I sent an email to the three candidates in my riding prior to the election, stating my concern about climate change and offering to take them for a drive in the car, look at my solar panels etc. It was an experiment of sorts... I got a canned response from the NDP, sent by a campaign worker I assume... nothing from the incumbent Conservative (who kept her seat oddly enough)... and a personal positive response from the Liberal. A statistically-insignificant sampling for sure... but the election is done and I can only hope that the Liberals will do something useful rather than whatever we've come to expect from all parties and governments.

I love this!

- - - Updated - - -

The first thing Elizabeth May did was to contact the new Prime Minister about environmental issues .... Could never have happened with Harper, so I suspect that we will see at least more of an open mind to environmental concerns than the closed mind of the previous government. So yes there is at least the possibility of dialogue on electric cars and sustainable infrastructure, whereas there was none before.

I sent 5 emails to party leaders and local candidates (and hundreds to media) between October 3d and October 16th advocating for EV incentives. The New York Times article on October 16th was very useful to validate my message...which was identical...follow Norway's lead. I'm confident that I've made an impact. If we all keep it up, we certainly will make an impact. Germany, Costa Rica, New Zealand all making moves. Here's the article, why not cut and paste to your new elected official right now? Action creates change:

Norway Is a Model for Encouraging Electric Car Sales

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a diary of my efforts:

Help tesla realize their vision-vote for federal ev incentives!

Some of my best work on this planet, terrible formatting excluded.

Last edited:
What do I expect from the new government?

Quite frankly, to be bent over a table and #@%&ed!!!

Agreed. Interesting that the Liberals were the only ones NOT to announce any GHG reduction targets. Also interesting to note that Justin got in with a lower % of the popular vote that Harper did last time around, and no one seems to be screaming bloody murder, calling for electoral reform and the like. Just sayin'

Just a reminder... this is not a political forum; it's a car forum. Please keep any discussion relevant to the topic of Tesla, electric vehicles, sustainable energy, and the like.

Also: It's okay in this explicitly political thread to discuss these topics from a political perspective, as long as things are kept polite and respectful. So far so good, so maybe Canadians really are more polite... but let's not put that to the test, okay? If this goes off the rails it is going to get heavily moderated very quickly!

Okay, people started debating non-EV related partisan politics, so I've moved that stuff off to Politics - Quarantine Thread

I'm serious about keeping this strictly on topic. Please do not make more work for me. Open political discussion on this forum tend to spiral into personal attacks in about half a page. The moderators won't allow that.

Also I will rename the thread so that it is clear this is about EV-related policies of the new government.

I expect a federal EV tax rebate much like they do in the States. I don't think it should come off the purchase of a vehicle (we already have that Provincially, at least in BC and Ontario) but instead come off of our taxes. Either way, it all comes out in the wash but I think paying up front, and claiming back, is the way to do it federally.

I think that's how they do it in the States?

I expect a federal EV tax rebate much like they do in the States. I don't think it should come off the purchase of a vehicle (we already have that Provincially, at least in BC and Ontario) but instead come off of our taxes. Either way, it all comes out in the wash but I think paying up front, and claiming back, is the way to do it federally.

I really like the provincial rebate. There's an immediate off invoice benefit that all buyers can understand. The most effective policy will incentivize EV's so that they are instantly more compelling vs ICE equivalent. Also, simple is better.

Rather than speculate or dream, you could take a look at what the platform says, including:

"Canada can be the world’s most competitive tax jurisdiction for investments in the research, development, and manufacturing of clean technology. We will consult on ways to enhance the scientific research and experimental development tax credit – in conjunction with other tax measures – to generate more clean technology investment. We will start by adding electricity storage technologies and electrical car charging stations to the list of investments that are eligible for accelerated capital cost allowance. We will proactively work with provinces and firms to fight for every dollar of global investment, and will bring more clean technology companies and investment to Canada."

Enriched income tax deductions for EV charging stations will reduce their after tax cost for Tesla Motors and other corporations (hotels, restaurants, malls).

Rather than speculate or dream, you could take a look at what the platform says, including:

"Canada can be the world’s most competitive tax jurisdiction for investments in the research, development, and manufacturing of clean technology. We will consult on ways to enhance the scientific research and experimental development tax credit – in conjunction with other tax measures – to generate more clean technology investment. We will start by adding electricity storage technologies and electrical car charging stations to the list of investments that are eligible for accelerated capital cost allowance. We will proactively work with provinces and firms to fight for every dollar of global investment, and will bring more clean technology companies and investment to Canada."

Good stuff. This article suggests some concrete decisions being made now in advance of UN conference:

"He said he's "committed" to attending the United Nations climate change conference with the premiers in Paris at the end of November. That leaves the Liberals just weeks to come up with a national position based on the party's promise to join with the provinces and territories to put a price on carbon and reduce carbon pollution."

Liberals will name cabinet on Nov. 4 - Yahoo News Canada

- - - Updated - - -

So...why not share the NY Post article with your new MP:

New york times-ev incentives

Please share with every politician you know. Let's help accelerate the transition:

“there have to be incentives,’’ Mr. Lunde said. “It has to be more expensive to pollute than to use environmentally friendly fuels.”

Norway Is a Model for Encouraging Electric Car Sales

Well, here's something interesting that may help keep track: The TrudeauMetre

There was a promise to install EV chargers at Federal parking lots, but the commenters are suggesting that's a waste.
It's the chicken and egg scenario. People won't buy electric cars if there's only limited charging options, and nobody will invest in charging stations because there's so few electric cars.

That's where governments come in. They will do things that companies won't do, because there's not enough of a market. That's how Sask Power came to be. No private company would electrify the rural areas because it was too expensive, so the Saskatchewan Government created their own electric company to bring electricity to the masses. The mythical "free market" does not solve all problems.

I don't know about anyone else, but I intend to start emailing people as soon as the new government is sworn in. Not trying to be obnoxious, not too sure it'll do any good, but I feel with the new administration at least they won't immediately be hostile.