Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you expect in three years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 85D for just a few weeks, and I'm already thinking about what my next MS will be when my lease is up in 3 years. (And I mean that in a good way.)

What are your expectations with respect to technology vs. cost? How will a $90k build now compare to a $90k build in three years? Will you be able to get a 95D instead of an 85D for the same price? Will this year's $90k build simply be available for $80k in three years?

What about standard features, improved interior, etc?

So... price decreases, more tech/luxury for the same price, some combination of both?

Well three years into Model S and we have slightly bigger batteries, Dual motor, AP etc.
I would assume the next three years to move at a much faster pace than the previous years, so more of the same - just more so!
Model S could have 110-120K packs by then, maybe at the same cost. The pack swap could be relatively cost effective as well.
Didn't Elon advise waiting until the increased capacity was worth you while before switching, basically leave it for as long as possible.
I doubt they will actually drop the price, just offer more capacity for the same price point.

100k when I ordered my car (2012) got me a nearly fully loaded P85. Now the same 100k will get a nicely loaded 85D. So AWD, autopilot, and slightly more range, with the same acceleration to 60. Plus over 3 years of improvements to the interior (I counted over 12 visibly improved interior parts in a new 2015 vs my 2013), and countless other small changes. So it seems to be, same price, better car, if they keep going the same as the last 3 years.

Supercharger density in the lower-47 approaching current density of that of #48:rolleyes:; functional density in Canada's southern belt; some headway in Mexico. W.European density excellent in core, UK and Scandinavia; functional in Iberia and Balkans; near-functional in much of eastern Europe barring geopolitical mishaps. I'll let others handle Asia/Australasia and other areas.

Said changes are, of course, independent of whether you're driving that 3-year old clunker or the latest and greatest. A win all around.

was thinking about this recently. i realized how SLOWLY their battery technology is coming. the Model S was introduced in 2012, but mostly designed/created in 2011, and the largest battery capacity was their 85kWh battery.

now almost 5 years later, they offer a 90kWh battery.

that's it?!? 5kWh in 5 years?!?! i would have expected them to have a 120 by now. at least a 100. but just 90? that kind of makes me worried.

I see Tesla following the electronics business model. Come out with an upgraded product in short intervals and have people crave the new version and buying it. The basics of a car haven't really changed in the last 100 years. The progress was rather slow. Features like AP and self driving and other things are a whole different thing. They evolve much quicker. I think Tesla is focusing on that to sell cars quicker and more often than usual.

That's too optimistic.
wvgzq.jpg

How about a charge port plug for the receptacle-end of the UMC? Equipping a UMC with this plug effectively turns the UMC into a "jumper cable" or, in this case a "charge sharing" cable. Any two Teslas could couple and one can donate as much charge to the other as is desired (i.e., controlled using the 17" screen). Is this technically possible? Would it work? Would it be fast enough to be useful if it does work?

The thought that any other Tesla can arrive at the scene and donate charge could potentially comfort hoards of potential Model 3 owners who have no EV experience and who therefore might be more prone to range anxiety than we seasoned EV veterans.

How about a charge port plug for the receptacle-end of the UMC? Equipping a UMC with this plug effectively turns the UMC into a "jumper cable" or, in this case a "charge sharing" cable. Any two Teslas could couple and one can donate as much charge to the other as is desired (i.e., controlled using the 17" screen). Is this technically possible? Would it work? Would it be fast enough to be useful if it does work?

The thought that any other Tesla can arrive at the scene and donate charge could potentially comfort hoards of potential Model 3 owners who have no EV experience and who therefore might be more prone to range anxiety than we seasoned EV veterans.
Love the idea. Im sure Tesla has thought of it... Maybe they're working on it or maybe they decided against it for whatever reason.

We bought a Sig S85 in 2012. It had everything on it, including factory custom paint. We paid well over $100K even including our state and fed discounts.

Three years later, when we were again able to get state and fed discounts, we bought a 90D. Pretty much everything on it again, except no custom paint. Tesla says they make around 20 improvements a week on these cars, and there is a LOT of improvement. Many were OTA to all cars, but there were a lot more that were hardware. We paid around $90K with the deductions.

That's a lot of improvements, for less money. Of course, we got bit a little on selling the used one, but it surely worked well for us.