TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What do you guys do in the rare Dallas ice storms/snow? (Model S)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by 7racer, Sep 6, 2015.

1. 7racer

7racer Member

Hey everyone,

I just got my inventory Model S for the replacement of my totaled Roadster :(

I am thoroughly enjoying the new luxury but contemplating what will happen come winter. I plan to sell my VW sportwagen that I routinely used in the crazy Dallas ice storm and snow. It was easy to drive with front wheel drive in those conditions.

However, with the S, do you guys do anything different? I have 21s with the continentals. Will it handle in those conditions?

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I drove in at least one of this year's storms with my 21s. With appropriate precautions, (not rushing, primarily) it was an extremely stable ride. All-season 19s would obviously be better.

3. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

Definitely change the regen to the lower setting. Do you have dual motors or RWD?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I put on Nokian WR-g3 on a second set of 19" wheels. I don't switch regen to low. Two winters now--works great. (Don't have a D either.)

5. 7racer

7racer Member

Dual

6. bollar

Then there's really no reason to ask. :)

7. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Just do what every other person in Dallas does: stay home.

8. 7racer

7racer Member

LOL love the way this thread headed....

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

Actually this is a good idea...You cannot believe how many people in Dallas ..don't know how to drive when it snows....

10. supersnoop

That's because it doesn't snow; it ices. Or, rather, any frozen precipitation melts and refreezes overnight, leaving a layer of ice on the roads. And nobody can drive on that. It's the "foreigners" who think, "it's just a quarter inch of snow" that go out and cause all the accidents.

11. 7racer

7racer Member

I actually grew up, up north and drove in some nasty ice/snow weather. But ice storms can be tricky with summer tires.

I would love to stay at home (and mostly do) but sometimes patients still come in so usually we have a skeleton crew at the office if the roads look at least half passible.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I think that maybe I've stayed home once in the time I've been here. However, I always have had appropriate tires. Anyway, most of the vehicles I see in the ditch are all wheel drive vehicles.

13. taurusking

taurusking Member

What do you mean ..I am not sure I get what you are saying..

14. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

With summer tires you should stay home. Summer tires are awful in a 1/4" of fluffy snow let alone ice. AWD doesn't do a darn thing for you when you try to stop. The all-seasons on the Tesla work quite well though, even with RWD.

15. bollar

Anyone not from North Texas, especially those from places where it snows and not ices (e.g., New England, Rockies).

16. supersnoop

People who are familiar with the weather in Texas know better than to try to drive on ice. The folks who have moved here recently, especially from places that experience actual snow, don't realize that we're dealing with something completely different. There does not exist a "proper tire" for driving on ice, and no amount of cold-weather experience will prepare you to attempt it. Folks like to joke about how Texas shuts down when it snows. But we do that for a reason.

17. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Sure there is, studded snow tires do fine on ice. Wouldn't expect folks in Texas to have them though.

18. bollar

Studded tires are illegal in Texas -- even so, you're right, not many of us would have them.

19. taurusking

taurusking Member

Agreed on what you are saying ...

20. wart

wart Member

A bit of clarification on the "foreigners" comment. In Texas we don't salt the roads, we don't have the equipment for it. We might put sand down on bridges and overpasses which helps a bit (or sometimes just creates dirtier ice). People who are accustomed to real winter weather are also accustomed to the roads being salted. If you assume that the roads in Texas are salted during ice storms you are in for an unhappy surprise.