Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you guys think of this car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Based on digit 8 in the VIN, this car is RWD, not AWD. You can read the meaning of digit 8 in 2015 Teslas here. Alternatively, use the decoder here. Digit 8 should be 2 for AWD versions. An example would be this car.
  • The nosecone is uncool and will get uncooler over time. The nosecone was discontinued on 12 Apr 2016. Until that day, the nosecone was already considered a poor design choice because of two reasons: (1) It mimics the radiator in gas cars. This fakeness creates a sense of dishonest design choice because it is trying to replicate things instead of standing on its own. (2) How is it acceptable to have a big portion of the front of the car to be plastic? If that's OK then why not have all body panels in plastic? Plastic creates a feeling of cheapness and unsuitable material choice. After that day, the nosecone became even more uncooler over time because people are now familiar with the facelift look. Tesla made about 125,000 nosecone Model S and 125,000 facelift Model S so far.
  • I'm going to assume that you are not interested in the 70 but you want the 70D. So, let's talk about the range of the 70D. This model had 204 mile real-world range at 75 mph when new. See the table here for range numbers. In comparison, with the Model 3 LR AWD you get 276 miles at 75 mph.
  • Buying a Tesla with AP1.0 is not a good idea right now because soon Tesla will release the hardware upgrade option from AP2.0 or AP2.5 to AP3.0. AP2.0 and AP2.5 won't support FSD, only AP3.0 will. People who already bought FSD will receive a free hardware upgrade to AP3.0. Autopilot development is coming to an end for AP2.0 and AP2.5 except for minor improvements.
Considering that you can buy a brand new Model 3 LR AWD with AP2.5 for 53+5-7.5= $50,500, I think no, this is not a good idea. The smart thing to do these days would be to switch from an older Model S to a Model 3. People who order a Model 3 until 30 Nov 2018 are guaranteed delivery this year ($7,500 federal tax credits). See Elon's tweet here.

If you already owned a Model S 70D and you were asking whether it would be a good idea to sell it for $40K and buy a Model 3, I would say, yes, that would be an excellent idea. The next-gen technology in current Model 3 will be more obvious in the coming months. In Q1 2019, Tesla is expected to release Supercharger V3. There is an EPA document that says the Model 3 can support up to 184 kW DC charging. Compared to the current 120 kW maximum Supercharge power for all Teslas, that would be a huge improvement. Details here. In addition, AP3.0 will have a 10x more powerful computer that is required for Full-Self-Driving. All AP2.0 and AP2.5 cars will have a path to upgrade the hardware but AP1.0 won't.

Also buying any used or new P version of the Model S is not a good idea right now because the Model S has something known as the "limp mode" where the car quickly enters a power reduction mode when pushed hard. Model 3 doesn't do that because of the more powerful battery cooling. See the article here. It is likely that there will be a battery pack for S/X that will enable Supercharger V3 (more battery cooling is needed) and Track Mode (again more battery cooling is needed).

Last edited:
Not bad, but not the best either.

Some thoughts -
1. The Tesla USED/CPO site has better deals than this. I got a Used 2015 Model S 85 with 20k miles for 42,900 earlier in the month (Nov. 2 2018). Body is a bit rough, but very minor cosmetics. I'd say scour the Tesla site first before going third party.
2. Color - not my favorite, but this is highly subjective.
3. Looks well optioned. Interior is clean. Nothing bad here.
4. As others have said, range is king and mileage is not that important. The only thing to note about mileage is that when getting it from Tesla, anything below 50k miles has a 4YR 50k mile warranty, and anything above 50k miles has a 2 year UP TO 100k mile warranty.

Happy hunting!

• Based on digit 8 in the VIN, this car is RWD, not AWD. You can read the meaning of digit 8 in 2015 Teslas here. Alternatively, use the decoder here. Digit 8 should be 2 for AWD versions. An example would be this car.
  • The nosecone is uncool and will get uncooler over time. The nosecone was discontinued on 12 Apr 2016. Until that day, the nosecone was already considered a poor design choice because of two reasons: (1) It mimics the radiator in gas cars. This fakeness creates a sense of dishonest design choice because it is trying to replicate things instead of standing on its own. (2) How is it acceptable to have a big portion of the front of the car to be plastic? If that's OK then why not have all body panels in plastic? Plastic creates a feeling of cheapness and unsuitable material choice. After that day, the nosecone became even more uncooler over time because people are now familiar with the facelift look. Tesla made about 125,000 nosecone Model S and 125,000 facelift Model S so far.
  • I'm going to assume that you are not interested in the 70 but you want the 70D. So, let's talk about the range of the 70D. This model had 204 mile real-world range at 75 mph when new. See the table here for range numbers. In comparison, with the Model 3 LR AWD you get 276 miles at 75 mph.
  • Buying a Tesla with AP1.0 is not a good idea right now because soon Tesla will release the hardware upgrade option from AP2.0 or AP2.5 to AP3.0. AP2.0 and AP2.5 won't support FSD, only AP3.0 will. People who already bought FSD will receive a free hardware upgrade to AP3.0. Autopilot development is coming to an end for AP2.0 and AP2.5 except for minor improvements.
Considering that you can buy a brand new Model 3 LR AWD with AP2.5 for 53+5-7.5= $50,500, I think no, this is not a good idea. The smart thing to do these days would be to switch from an older Model S to a Model 3. People who order a Model 3 until 30 Nov 2018 are guaranteed delivery this year ($7,500 federal tax credits). See Elon's tweet here.

If you already owned a Model S 70D and you were asking whether it would be a good idea to sell it for $40K and buy a Model 3, I would say, yes, that would be an excellent idea. The next-gen technology in current Model 3 will be more obvious in the coming months. In Q1 2019, Tesla is expected to release Supercharger V3. There is an EPA document that says the Model 3 can support up to 184 kW DC charging. Compared to the current 120 kW maximum Supercharge power for all Teslas, that would be a huge improvement. Details here. In addition, AP3.0 will have a 10x more powerful computer that is required for Full-Self-Driving. All AP2.0 and AP2.5 cars will have a path to upgrade the hardware but AP1.0 won't.

Also buying any used or new P version of the Model S is not a good idea right now because the Model S has something known as the "limp mode" where the car quickly enters a power reduction mode when pushed hard. Model 3 doesn't do that because of the more powerful battery cooling. See the article here. It is likely that there will be a battery pack for S/X that will enable Supercharger V3 (more battery cooling is needed) and Track Mode (again more battery cooling is needed).
Y
I just purchase the same exact car for $43,988

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 model S and really don't know a thing about Telsa Model S what is it I need to know? You seem ver knowledgable

If you buy a used Tesla from a car dealer, the only warranty you get is the balance of the original 4 yr 50K mile and the extended warranty on the battery. If you buy a CPO car from Tesla, you get either a 4 year 50K warranty if the car has less than 50K miles or a 2 year warranty up to 100K miles. Also, if you purchase from the car from an individual and the car is under 4 years/50K miles, that person can purchase the extended warranty adding 4 years and 50K miles and transfer it to you. The cost is a a little over $4K for a Model S. This is not possible if the car comes from a dealer.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 model S and really don't know a thing about Telsa Model S what is it I need to know?

Generally speaking, buying a used Model S is a worse idea than buying a new Model 3. Again, generally speaking, Tesla seems to have succeeded in making people believe that the Model S is more premium and has more space while the Model 3 is the cheaper and smaller car. That's not the case at all.

When the Model 3 was released, the touchscreen, the touchscreen computer, the Autopilot computer were all more advanced than the S/X. Tesla upgraded the hardware in the S/X to match the 3. Similarly, the 2170 battery cells, the more powerful battery pack cooling, the digitally controlled air vent system, 180 kWh DC charging support, Track Mode, an audio system with much better sound quality are features that are only available in the 3. In the next few months, S/X might get some of these features.

If you compare the 3 to older Model S cars, then the advantages of Model 3 become more obvious. The touchscreen in S/X was upgraded to Model 3 quality on 14 March 2018. Autopilot 1.0 was introduced on 19 Sep 2014, AP2.0 on 16 Oct 2016 and AP2.5 on 28 Jul 2017. If you pick an old S, you will get old technology.

In terms of space, the Model 3 has more headroom than the S and the legroom is the same. The only advantage of the S is the additional cargo space. See the details here.

In terms of range, the range numbers of Model S cars are over advertised. For example, Model S 85 has 265 miles advertised EPA range. However, the actual score is 244 miles, not 265. In addition, 244 mi is for a new S85. A used S85 will have less range because of degradation. See the chart here. Therefore it would be much better to buy a new Model 3 MR instead of a used Model S 85.

However, if somebody already owns a Model S, I would suggest either waiting or switching to a Model 3 but I would not recommend buying a new Model S before 15 Jan 2019. I think Tesla will announce new Model S features between 5-15 Jan 2019. If that doesn't happen, then 5-15 Apr 2019 is likely. It is likely that Tesla will pick the first month of a quarter to release new features. AP1.0 was introduced in Oct 2016, AP 2.0 in Jul 2017 and the facelift version of the Model S in Apr 2016. All three happened in the first month of the quarter. This is not a coincidence. EU deliveries are finalized at the end of quarters. So they want to make sure they release new features after a ton of people have already taken delivery. Otherwise, people would refuse deliveries.

Last edited:
If you buy a used Tesla from a car dealer, the only warranty you get is the balance of the original 4 yr 50K mile and the extended warranty on the battery. If you buy a CPO car from Tesla, you get either a 4 year 50K warranty if the car has less than 50K miles or a 2 year warranty up to 100K miles. Also, if you purchase from the car from an individual and the car is under 4 years/50K miles, that person can purchase the extended warranty adding 4 years and 50K miles and transfer it to you. The cost is a a little over $4K for a Model S. This is not possible if the car comes from a dealer.
Oh. The used Telsa I am looking at is 2015 50K , from a used car dealership. So I probably won't have a warranty

I like it, but agree that you are missing out on a few things like the warranty. I just bought a similar car for a similar price but I got the warranty, fewer miles... And do check the VIN info to make sure it lines up with what you want.

Others may disagree, but I like the color and the face of the car. They are originals. I have a thing for first gen cars. These cars, this look, represents a very specific moment in history. The number of these cars is very limited and as a result they will be rare, and because they represent an innovative turn in automotive history, they have IMO, a very good chance to become collectors' items. In 20 years these will be 'classics' whereas the roads may be flooded with Model 3s and copycats. You never know for sure about that kind of thing because it's about trying to predict the future, but that's my take. But I do have some (very limited) experience buying used cars and selling them for more than I bought them.