Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you hate about your M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my Model 3 since 7:30pm yesterday for the drive home to Ottawa from Toronto and these are a few things I noticed:

1. rear view mirror doesn't seem to be auto dimming and also don't seem to have that manual tilt for nighttime so my eyes suffered with lights from cars behind me. Maybe there's something I missed?

2. at some point along the 401 it seemed as though the car got into some sort of harmonic bounce but thankfully it went away; maybe it was just the particular section of the 401 but I'll have to see if this happens again

3. front trunk closing method: having to push with both hands means fresh fingerprints every time

4. in navigation mode I couldn't click on the red supercharger icon to check available slots so had to cancel out and switch to supercharger mode then back to navigation

5. home charging schedule; couldn't figure out how to make it stop charging at 7am when the higher Ontario electricity prices start; it seems to only allow me to set a start time like 7pm

#2 might be lane departure feature. When the car notices you are creeping out of your lane it will vibrate the steering wheel a little bit, kind of like the feeling of driving over rumble strips. Is that what you felt or was it something different?

Does anyone notice excessive road noise? For some reason that’s the only thing bothering me a little. I drive a 530i and it’s pretty quite. I heard some comments about wind noise but that’s not an issue with me. I just seem to hear too much road noise. Any input and help would be appreciated.

Does anyone notice excessive road noise? For some reason that’s the only thing bothering me a little. I drive a 530i and it’s pretty quite. I heard some comments about wind noise but that’s not an issue with me. I just seem to hear too much road noise. Any input and help would be appreciated.
Yes I've noticed it too. I think it might be the tire pressure. Musk mentioned on Twitter to drop it a few psi for more comfort and less noise but at the cost of efficiency. I've noticed mine is always above 47.

I picked up my daughter's M3 on Friday, and drove to Montreal that evening. my only issue is road noise.
Also on a long stretch of the 401 between Oshawa and Cobourg, it felt as if one of the wheels was loose and going to come off. I slowed down and was looking for a safe spot to stop the car and check, but then the pavement surface changed and the rattling disappeared.
Compared to my 2015 MS, this car is way more fun to drive. Unless Tesla updates the S soon, I’ll be opting for the P3D come December.

Not many gripes from me.
I would Imorove front seat, coming from BMW, their sport seats are the best. TM3 has too much cushion and not enough bolster
Frunk latch should be self closing

No issues with noise, most passengers comment about how quiet it is... Then again when compared to my former car BMW 340i...maybe more tire noise than a Buick.. But...

Definitely agree on the streaming options. Would love to be able to install Google Music, Spotify or other.

The mirror fold button should also be linked to HomeLink. It is a pain that it thinks they are open when they aren't.

Definitely looking forward to Autopilot getting much better. Would love it to read the speed limits instead of relying on the GPS data .

Reactions: Mobsidian
Autopilot is getting better but Tesla is more cautious about hands on the wheel. They decrease the threadhold from 90sec to 20 sec, and need both hands on wheel tight for the warning not comes up. It is more stressful using autopilot then not using it from my opinion at this time.

With that, the autopilot looks like a demo feature.

Yes I've noticed it too. I think it might be the tire pressure. Musk mentioned on Twitter to drop it a few psi for more comfort and less noise but at the cost of efficiency. I've noticed mine is always above 47.

When I picked up mine, the car had 41 PSI all around. I asked the DS about it and he said that 40 to 41 was the best setting for comfort, handling and range. I like it at 41 and do not notice any road noise on even pavement, except for some definite "thumps" on uneven surfaces.

#2 might be lane departure feature. When the car notices you are creeping out of your lane it will vibrate the steering wheel a little bit, kind of like the feeling of driving over rumble strips. Is that what you felt or was it something different?

I don’t have EAP so I don’t think it was that and I was just going straight in my lane. It was definitely weird almost like being on a boat bobbing in the waves.

I don’t have EAP so I don’t think it was that and I was just going straight in my lane. It was definitely weird almost like being on a boat bobbing in the waves.

I don't have EAP either. The other guy is correct. If you change lanes without a signal, or veer from your lane, the steering wheel will vibrate when the first wheel leaves the lane. It's a "hey pay attention" feature. Signal your lane changes! :p

• Informative
Reactions: Rlhm3
I got delivery yesterday afternoon in Vancouver. Came home and charged the car to 420 km using HPWC. I turned the Bluetooth off on my phone at night. This morning when I turned it back on, the car had lost 10km. I read some posts about vampire drain but I’m unable to pinpoint the exact reason for the charge loss overnight. Anyone else having same issue?

Yep - I noticed the 3 loses a lot more range overnight than my S. Likely will be fixed via software.

I’ve noticed the 3 rides pretty rough on uneven surfaces vs. the S. I’m sure it’s partially the shorter wheelbase, but maybe the air suspension is the difference. Never drove a non air S so I don’t know the diff there.

Autopilot is getting better but Tesla is more cautious about hands on the wheel. They decrease the threadhold from 90sec to 20 sec, and need both hands on wheel tight for the warning not comes up.

Pretty sure that's not true. It's got no way to tell how many hands are on the wheel or how tight the grip is. It's just sensing torque on the steering column. (But it's possible they made this less sensitive.)

Reactions: kavyboy
This forum is realistically a huge lovefest for most things Model 3 related, so I thought it'd be fun to create a thread about the things we positively hate, or at least don't like, about our new cars.

Ha! I can see you're a new member with that view...

Tesla is the biggest short in the US stock market

.. and we get many of them posting every little issue they can find with the 3 (and S and X) here (and so full of hate in their comments) because the shorts are losing their shirt -- so, so much for a "lovefest".

But it is a Tesla forum so of course many of us here are bias in favour of Tesla and that certainly shouldn't surprise anyone.

In any event, "hate" is too strong of a word for me, but after driving my 3 through the mountain passes in the rain I found water in my rear left tail light. No hate at all and I can't even really call this a concern since I went through it with my S and both rear headlights -- and they were fixed fine. But really, Tesla, I would think this problem would solved on the 3 ! ...

P_20180609_133313_vHDR_On.png
P_20180609_133304_vHDR_On.png

• Informative
Reactions: imjd and jsmay311