Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you hate about your M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This forum is realistically a huge lovefest for most things Model 3 related, so I thought it'd be fun to create a thread about the things we positively hate, or at least don't like, about our new cars.

Three things for me.

1. Getting into the car.
I'm 6'5", so for me the first consideration with any car is the actual ergonomics. Do I actually fit? I was concerned about this initially, as this is a smaller car than the S, but I saw reviews posted by some tall people that put my mind at ease. And frankly, this car has more leg and cabin room than any other sedan I've ever owned. I love driving in it. I'm not hunched at all, I've got several inches about my head, and there's *almost* enough room for my legs to completely stretch out. However....

getting into the car is another matter entirely. Usually when I get into a car I do it like a normal person. I open the door, hang onto the window with my left hand, and slide down into the seat. But with the M3, there's a ridge on the door frame, as below --
Car door.jpg

The first couple times I sat in the car I was unaware of this, and I've now got a nice bruise on my thigh to show for it. So now I have to get in my car like an old man. I have to open the door fully, turn to face 90 degrees away from it, grab the window with my right hand, and sit down, avoiding rubbing my thigh/butt on that huge protruding plastic piece.

2. The frunk hood
It's cheap. It's beyond cheap. I truly don't see it staying in shape for anyone who uses it much for any length of time. I'm going to simply never use the frunk, I don't need to use it given the ample trunk room, and I really don't see it holding up over time.

3. The streaming service.
It's crap. Why was it bundled? Elon why? Give us the option to install our own please.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and all, and I 100% support Elon against the powerful forces of evil arrayed against him, but would love these things to get sorted. Especially point #1.

Last edited:
Didn't someone say the frunk hood was made of aluminum? I'd assume that's why it's flimsy-feeling and perhaps done for increased range?

Slacker is crud - first experienced it on the BlackBerry Playbook (the what?) and didn't like it then and still don't like it. Maybe it was the cheapest embedded option possible?

To add to your list, I hate that switching between driver seating profiles doesn't also include your rear view mirror.

Also that annoying squeal in my rear axle somewhere. Not obnoxious, only noticeable if your windows are down and radio is silent, but still. Service appointment booked but they did mention that it's a known issue and there's no official fix for it yet but hopefully they figure it out before my service date next week.

My list (and nothing outright horrible):
- Streaming Radio - I'll be honest, Slacker is better than I thought it would be but I still prefer Spotify.
- Podcasts - Really needs a podcast setting and app, Doesn't remember where you left off
- Drivers Seat - Just ok, not as comfortable as a Lexus, but not a dealbreaker either
- Android as a Key - Very unreliable, but to be fair to Tesla it's Googles fault that the Pixel has such horrible Bluetooth
- 360 Camera View/Dashcam capabilities - Would be nice to have this available in the software, given the hardware is already there.
- Autopilot is an Expensive add-on - I've come to appreciate and enjoy Autopilot, but at $6600, the price is excessive. Hoping it's something that supports resale value down the road.

Coming from (and still having) an old S I probably want to write something more elaborate, but I think that there’s a lot less to pick in this car than I thought there’d be.
- touchscreen is miles quicker than my S. Slacker starts streaming so fast. Btw, slacker isn’t that bad really once you figure it out. Use your phone if you hate it.
- audio is very good in the car. I was surprised even after the ‘sound studio’ in my Sig.
- car is a little sluggish off the line (like a normal S 70/75) but midrange punch is similar to the P85. I would think it awesome if not having the S already.
- it maneuvers fantastically and is tight all around.
- autopilot is autopilot - I’m glad to have it and it’ll be super handy on trips. I don’t think it’s too expensive - full auto however can wait until it’s not vapourware.
- frunks are aluminium - you’ll get used to it. It passed my stress test for storage by fitting a 2-4 of bottled beer. I would have tweeted in rage to Elon if that didn’t fit! :)
- miss the hatch of the S - the 3 won’t be as handy at Home Depot. I got full sized house doors in the S!
- love the storage everywhere and the well laid out console. I have the bowling lane in the S.
- the single middle screen for everything is not as difficult to get used to as I thought it could be. Kinda like people complaining about the notch in the iPhone X - a lot of FUD.
- I wish supercharging was free, but considering early S had a SC charge of $2k back in the day - that pays for a lot of charges.
- Make with the Chademo support already! I think I’ve used my $700 adapter like five tunes in the S....
- the 3 is a very efficient charger with the battery density, etc. sc and home charges quicker than the S.
- The 3 is a lazy car - it’s always asleep when I try to connect with the app! I’m sure that’ll all improve with new software.
- what’s with no wifi connectivity yet? You’d think they could just use S/X code for that....

That it for now - love hearing others thoughts!
Jack

This forum is realistically a huge lovefest for most things Model 3 related, so I thought it'd be fun to create a thread about the things we positively hate, or at least don't like, about our new cars.

Three things for me.

1. Getting into the car.

getting into the car is another matter entirely. Usually when I get into a car I do it like a normal person. I open the door, hang onto the window with my left hand, and slide down into the seat. But with the M3, there's a ridge on the door frame, as below --
d I 100% support Elon against the powerful forces of evil arrayed against him, but would love these things to get sorted. Especially point #1.
I'd recommend that you test changing the Easy Entry profile so that the seat is further forward on entry. It looks like yours may be all the way back, and while initially seems to make since, the door frame is then in the wrong place.
I'd like to see the steering wheel friction increased or maybe locked when in entry mode, I tend to put my hand on the wheel as I am getting into vehicles and in this car, the wheel spins and I can't use it as a grip.

Love the car! Minor things here and there. Build quality is equal to most mass production car out there. Price is premium for getting first and a car that updates itself. It'll be relevant a gen or two down the road, I don't imagine a refresh until the Model Y is on the road in droves (5-7 years from now).

I've only had my Model 3 since 7:30pm yesterday for the drive home to Ottawa from Toronto and these are a few things I noticed:

1. rear view mirror doesn't seem to be auto dimming and also don't seem to have that manual tilt for nighttime so my eyes suffered with lights from cars behind me. Maybe there's something I missed?

2. at some point along the 401 it seemed as though the car got into some sort of harmonic bounce but thankfully it went away; maybe it was just the particular section of the 401 but I'll have to see if this happens again

3. front trunk closing method: having to push with both hands means fresh fingerprints every time

4. in navigation mode I couldn't click on the red supercharger icon to check available slots so had to cancel out and switch to supercharger mode then back to navigation

5. home charging schedule; couldn't figure out how to make it stop charging at 7am when the higher Ontario electricity prices start; it seems to only allow me to set a start time like 7pm

I think the only things I hate are:

1) I had a CarPlay enabled head unit in my last car and accessing any iOS functions is pretty much impossible. That's the only step backwards for me. Is there a way to view playlists via the interface on bluetooth?

2) The frunk closing (as mentioned above) is not aweinspiring

Otherwise - overall quality and experience has been fantastic.

1) Hate that I have to manually tell the car to fold mirrors when getting into my garage and then to unfold when leaving driveway. If it was tied to homelink that would be great! I noticed a glitch where after backing up and driving away the mirror fold setting shows fold, if i tap it it displays unfold and mirrors dont move, i have to tap it another time to get them to unfold.

2) Hate paying 6600 for a feature that still can't figure out which lane to stay in based on my navigation when approaching a split in the highway and instead jerks around at the last second, also auto lane change doesnt work regularly

3) Hate that it doesnt have the hatch and nose of an S.

4) Hate that I can't set a charging time window so that it stops charging before peak rates start. Instead have to glide the slider (without any feedback) to where it will stop on its own

Luckily, 3/4 of these will be sorted out by software updates, but the wait is killing me

1) Hate that I have to manually tell the car to fold mirrors when getting into my garage and then to unfold when leaving driveway. If it was tied to homelink that would be great! I noticed a glitch where after backing up and driving away the mirror fold setting shows fold, if i tap it it displays unfold and mirrors dont move, i have to tap it another time to get them to unfold.

FYI -- if you hit around 50 km/hr the side mirrors fold back out automatically.

Inaccurate speed limits, was driving on a road clearly marked as 100 but car thought it was 80 so max EAP was 90. I wish it looked at the signs and not the maps data.

Also the thumbs down song is too close and I have hit it trying to slide open music to get to the EQ. The EQ button should be at the top not the bottom.

Created a driver profile for my wife. But I can not define different work address for her in the navigation.
The car looses range even when it seats idle in the garage about 10 KM every couple of hours.Fan is off.
It does not show charge percentage.
Rear side windows should have been tinted.

Not an owner obviously, but I was driving behind a blue 3 yesterday. The taillights are puny! It's a tiny strip of lights for both sides. The hatch light strip helps, bit couldn't help notice how little the taillights were.