Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matrix LED headlights by a long way. Took a big hit as far as headlights are concerned. My m3 is significantly worse.

Also auto dimming mirrors and auto wipers that work properly.

Minor shout out to android auto and Air suspension.

Also, and very weird I know but I actually miss the smell of petrol. Realised now I don't have it its a smell I like!

I've read that there may be changes to the headlights on the M3 2021 refresh?

Perhaps there may be some aftermarket bulbs/leds you could fit?

Also, and very weird I know but I actually miss the smell of petrol. Realised now I don't have it its a smell I like!

Petrol aroma has never been quite the same since we went unleaded! No wonder the Romans used lead to sweeten wine. I remember at primary school when the teacher went around the class asking for the pupil's favourite smells ... top choice was a close run thing between fresh cut grass or petrol! (Later on in the 1970s we still had 100 octane 5 star when I had a holiday job working on the pumps ... lovely stuff!)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Neilio
Petrol aroma has never been quite the same since we went unleaded! No wonder the Romans used lead to sweeten wine. I remember at primary school when the teacher went around the class asking for the pupil's favourite smells ... top choice was a close run thing between fresh cut grass or petrol! (Later on in the 1970s we still had 100 octane 5 star when I had a holiday job working on the pumps ... lovely stuff!)

I wholeheartedly agree. Some aeroplanes still run on 100 LL petrol (100 octane, low lead), and that still has that pleasant aroma. Last petrol engined aeroplane I flew in tended to give a waft of that smell into the cockpit when manoeuvring hard, especially at the top of a loop, and a bit during rolls. Definitely adds to the atmosphere!

I am sure
Hi,

I've got a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 LR. I've test driven a showroom model on a couple of occasions - and I love it!

There is a small bit of doubt in my mind though, from each time that I drove my own car back home (a Mini Cooper S JCW).
I don't know if it's just a bit of sadness that the Mini may eventually be going? The Mini has a very loud personality, unique interior and it has a lot of character, in comparison, the Tesla is quite plain and doesn't feel as customisable due to the lack of options available.

I guess I'll also miss the noise of having a performance exhaust.

Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

Ash
I doubt you will regret moving to a Tesla, but you will always have nostalgia for the Mini, and that's OK!

We build emotional relationships with our cars, which is unsurprising considering how many life memories they are connected to.

I still remember my first car fondly, a 1997 Fiat Punto sporting 1.2 16v. A peach of an engine, but what... 86bhp? :)

I also have nostalgia for my last car which was my first car from new - a MK7 golf GTD. I miss the colour, looks, hugging seats (much less comfortable on long journeys!), and weirdly the smell. It had a new car smell that lasted for years.

I know if I jumped into the golf now it would feel antiquated and slow, but that doesn't take away the nostalgia and great memories. And that's OK.

The Tesla is such a good car it almost, almost, becomes invisible in your life. And that does mean your connection to the car may feel a little more invisible at times too.

I miss the speed, the sound, the sense of occasion, the monstrous performance and power, the unpredictability of RWD, the superb interior, the solid feel, the build quality, the looks and comments the car received and an emotional attachment.

My Tesla M3P is a really good car and as a means of transport is superb, but as a thing is desirability that pulls on heart strings and stirs emotions, then it’s not up there with my previous ICE.

Right now I wouldn’t swap it as I’m enjoying the change.

Reactions: Neilio
I've read that there may be changes to the headlights on the M3 2021 refresh?

Perhaps there may be some aftermarket bulbs/leds you could fit?
Oh please let this be true.

I knew I'd be taking a hit on headlights but the difference between these and my old CLS is, almost literally night and day. It's the only thing I'd move heaven and earth to get back. The other stuff is easily offset by the improvement in driving dynamics and the increase in technology such as the safety features and a far better cruise control.
I should have also said I miss having rear doors that fit properly!

Rear legroom from my A8L and also Apple CarPlay plus ability to move the front passenger seat using driver seat controls plus storing profiles for the seat. I'd hope all bar rear legroom could be solved with a software update though.

Rear legroom from my A8L and also Apple CarPlay plus ability to move the front passenger seat using driver seat controls plus storing profiles for the seat. I'd hope all bar rear legroom could be solved with a software update though.
To be fair unless you get a maybach pretty much every car you upgrade to will have worse rear leg room then the A8L. That's a hell of a car

Reactions: m3gt2

Coming from a Mini, the M3 is certainly an improvement on the rear legroom department! However, I did manage to squeeze 3 fully grown adults in the back of a Mini after a roadside emergency. It worked, but it sure didn't look comfortable for them!

Reactions: m3gt2
Took me a while to think of anything I miss. They are all means of transport (and other things too I guess - fashion / status?) and you make your choice presumeably taking into account as many relevant factors as you can at the time. I don't really relate to 'previous car' as each car either moves on because
  • it no longer does what it has to do,
  • because my needs change, or
  • I keep it.
My first EV (Renault Zoe 22kwh) was just a tester, and I was never going to keep paying battery rental - so I don't miss that at all. Neither do I miss dealing with Reault Finance which was a nightmare.

I miss is the speed limiter function.

I have no intention of getting rid of my present Zoe 40 any time soon. Battery health is at 94% after 3 years and 30k miles, it is super efficient (on local runs with no pre-heating etc), has heat pump and good enough range for most journeys. Strangely, I don't use the speed limiter, although it is a handy feature.

I prefer not stopping at petrol stations - especially these days - and my much lower snack intake is better too.

With Tesla, I miss having a dealership that isn't too 'close' with the manufacturer. I (slightly) miss the certainty that for the most part my non-Tesla cars continue to do the same things well and the same things badly as when they were new. The anticipation of what new feature the next OTA update will bring is usually tempered by some new glitch or uncertainty.

I really don't miss paddling in splilled deisel on forecourts and getting it on your car mats....

I do really miss the high driving position of my VW Caravelle and how the space just made long familly trips so painless.
I miss the consistency of most of my other cars. The Tesla makes me feel a bit apprehensive all the time. Will the MCU screen edges go yellow? If the windscreen gets broken, will a replacement be readily available? Will the next update [break / fix] voice commands, phantom breaking / charging speed / AP - FSD operation, does my car have good enough hardware to deliver useable FSD?...... etc.

I guess I miss the hours I spend on TMC!!

Reactions: Beady3647
Put the speed limit Bong on. That will either slow you down or drive you crazy. I've now got it switched on coz PC Plod didn't like my speed in a 30 zone recently.

Trouble with that is it's then bonging all the time!

In fact the only time I've been caught (by a speed camera) was because I had so many bongs and warnings going off I was distracted from noticing I was in a 40 zone! :rolleyes: