Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I still own it, but hopefully not for not too much longer, I’ll miss the turning circle and possibly the heated steering wheel of my Alfa Romeo Giulia.

I’m not sure about the steering wheel yet, the M3 cabin heats up really quickly so it may not be noticeable. I’ve had a diesel before with a separate cabin heater but the M3 heats up far quicker.

The M3 is similar size to the Giulia, although the wheels in the M3 are quite a bit bigger, but the M3 has a significantly greater turning circle.

Although I still own it, but hopefully not for not too much longer, I’ll miss the turning circle and possibly the heated steering wheel of my Alfa Romeo Giulia.

I’m not sure about the steering wheel yet, the M3 cabin heats up really quickly so it may not be noticeable. I’ve had a diesel before with a separate cabin heater but the M3 heats up far quicker.

The M3 is similar size to the Giulia, although the wheels in the M3 are quite a bit bigger, but the M3 has a significantly greater turning circle.
I believe they plan to add a heated steering wheel to the M3 soon but having been through a UK winter with one I haven't had a problem with cold hands so far. given the unique nature of the air vents it is possible to direct warm air at each hand if you want to though I haven't tried this.

- Seats and stereo from my S60R
- Heated steering wheel and reliable traffic visualisation from my M5
- Noise from my CLS63 AMG. God that noise.
- Noise and general fantasticness of my M2 - the only car that could tempt me back to the dark side

I still wouldn't go back to ICE though

Reactions: Neilio
- Seats and stereo from my S60R
- Heated steering wheel and reliable traffic visualisation from my M5
- Noise and general fantasticness of my M2 - the only car that could tempt me back to the dark side

I still wouldn't go back to ICE though
That's some car collection you've had! You even had the mans version of my CLS! Jealous.

Can I ask though, if you can afford such premium, high performance cars, why did you switch to Tesla?

with over 35 years of car ownership[p that started with many Citroens including an Ami super, a few 2CVs and Dyane's, GS, GSX, Multiple CXs and BXs, the ubiquitous Alfasud, various Triumphs including a Herald Estate, Spitfires, TR7, TR8, VW beetle and camper van, mini estate (1970 vintage) Audi 80 followed by an A3, S1 Elise, Vauxhall VX 220, BMW 6 series, TVR280s ,and most recently Mercedes C250 coupe and an RR evoke - there were more but you tend to lose track over time

All my previous cars I had an attachment to for various reasons, I still remember collecting the Ami from a local 2nd hand car garage near Cheltenham the day after passing my driving test, the Spitfire bought following a small windfall rather than paying off an overdraft and so it goes on

I have now settled on the M3 SR+ and an Elsie 111R SC - in my view a great combination, the M3 is a transportation device that is efficient and comfortable, the Elise has soul and Character and fulfils that need for noise and involvement.

To answer the Ops question - I don't miss anything but do some great memories :)

Reactions: Fraank
Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

I do.

I miss:
- quality interior with no rattles and nice materials
- reliable radar cruise control
- proper rain sensor
- blind spot monitoring with little side mirror lights which are easy to notice and other drivers see them too knowing they're noticed.
- rear cross traffic alerts
- quiet interior, with very little road noise, even with and ICE.
- headlights - oh I hate the Model S LED headlights so much.
- buttons, knobs, switches, something to play with on the center console - thought I'd get used to this one but I didn't.

Edit: forgot to mention, the previous car which had all these things I miss, cost one third of the Model S I got. So yeah, many regrets.

Last edited:
with over 35 years of car ownership[p that started with many Citroens including an Ami super, a few 2CVs and Dyane's, GS, GSX, Multiple CXs and BXs, the ubiquitous Alfasud, various Triumphs including a Herald Estate, Spitfires, TR7, TR8, VW beetle and camper van, mini estate (1970 vintage) Audi 80 followed by an A3, S1 Elise, Vauxhall VX 220, BMW 6 series, TVR280s ,and most recently Mercedes C250 coupe and an RR evoke - there were more but you tend to lose track over time

All my previous cars I had an attachment to for various reasons, I still remember collecting the Ami from a local 2nd hand car garage near Cheltenham the day after passing my driving test, the Spitfire bought following a small windfall rather than paying off an overdraft and so it goes on

I have now settled on the M3 SR+ and an Elsie 111R SC - in my view a great combination, the M3 is a transportation device that is efficient and comfortable, the Elise has soul and Character and fulfils that need for noise and involvement.

To answer the Ops question - I don't miss anything but do some great memories :)
I've owned a couple of those cars. I'm guessing there are a few not so great memories as well maybe.........

Moved from a 2017 Mazda 6 tourer, I love my tesla M3, it's great.

Things i miss - Economy Air Conditioning - the Mazda had that, it was great as i'm a person who has the amazing power of fogging up any vehicle I get into, with econ A/C it wouldn't fog, and wouldn't take a lot of MPG's for it to run, on the Tesla i'm frequently shifting A/C on and off to preserve battery(might not worry when my home charger is installed). The next is a heated steering wheel, god i loved that although one morning prior to leaving I put the climate on in the M3 - geez it was like a sauna so it may not be much of an issue if the car can heat that quickly.

I'm an apple geek whilst i'd like carplay it probably wouldn't do much for me to have it on the Tesla.

Not much else ... a HUD would be nice but not 100% needed

Moved from a 2017 Mazda 6 tourer, I love my tesla M3, it's great.

Things i miss - Economy Air Conditioning - the Mazda had that, it was great as i'm a person who has the amazing power of fogging up any vehicle I get into, with econ A/C it wouldn't fog, and wouldn't take a lot of MPG's for it to run, on the Tesla i'm frequently shifting A/C on and off to preserve battery(might not worry when my home charger is installed). The next is a heated steering wheel, god i loved that although one morning prior to leaving I put the climate on in the M3 - geez it was like a sauna so it may not be much of an issue if the car can heat that quickly.

I'm an apple geek whilst i'd like carplay it probably wouldn't do much for me to have it on the Tesla.

Not much else ... a HUD would be nice but not 100% needed
if you really want to save power turn the HVAC to manual and turn the fan down to 1 or 2, switch off the rear but leave the AC on That should stop misting with minimal power use but tba there really is very little benefit to doing anything other than leaving it on auto during the summer months in my opinion. Now winter that's a different story once the heater kicks in.

I totally agree, I sold my CLS63 AMG in May and was the polar opposite to my M3P, especially when driving them together (wife in one of them). I do miss the noise, but also love the silence of the M3P, weird but alluring at the same time. A lot of people just don’t get it.....which I like lol!

Did you have the M156 or M157 engine? Both sound glorious

Previous car is a LR Freelander 2. I miss the height. As well as being able to see over walls and other cars, getting in and out is ridiculously easy.
I don't miss the load space, because I still have it and use it for trips to the tip and carrying big things.

I had the CLS when my wife got the Tesla. I was a noise/performance man and whilst I admired the Tesla, it wasn’t for me

then I took it to work for a few days on the trot and just realised how antiquated the Merc was.

So I wrenched the Tesla from the wife and she got an i3s. Willingly I must add lol

as a day to day car the Tesla is just better all round imo, let alone the change in running costs!

the Tesla has proved more reliable than my German cars, squeaks less than the CLS did and other than being a bit low rent in places, I have no complaints really

That's some car collection you've had! You even had the mans version of my CLS! Jealous.

Can I ask though, if you can afford such premium, high performance cars, why did you switch to Tesla?

M157

it had the best noise of any engine I have owned, specifically - in attack mode, nail it but don’t change up, back off, change down gear. Utter heaven

I totally agree, I sold my CLS63 AMG in May and was the polar opposite to my M3P, especially when driving them together (wife in one of them). I do miss the noise, but also love the silence of the M3P, weird but alluring at the same time. A lot of people just don’t get it.....which I like lol!

Did you have the M156 or M157 engine? Both sound glorious