Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I miss the folding roof

C5B90BF9-5EC4-44DB-B5C7-36672B6EA493.jpeg

Reactions: kriscii and MOBB
Volvo V70. Still got it, although these days we only use it for occasional long trips or taking the dog places.

Things I miss about the Volvo:
  • 500+ mile range.
  • Enormous boot.
  • Roof rack.
  • Not caring about the interior getting filthy with mud, sand, and dog hair.
  • Happily bouncing along country lanes without caring about scratching it or wrecking the wheels.
We mostly drive the Model 3 everywhere, and we completely adore it. The dog is not allowed in the Tesla.

Reactions: rotor2k
Hi,

I've got a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 LR. I've test driven a showroom model on a couple of occasions - and I love it!

There is a small bit of doubt in my mind though, from each time that I drove my own car back home (a Mini Cooper S JCW).
I don't know if it's just a bit of sadness that the Mini may eventually be going? The Mini has a very loud personality, unique interior and it has a lot of character, in comparison, the Tesla is quite plain and doesn't feel as customisable due to the lack of options available.

I guess I'll also miss the noise of having a performance exhaust.

Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

Ash
After 8 years and two Model Ss I've moved to a Porsche Taycan 4S. Here is what I will not miss about the Tesla:

Tesla dislikes:
  • Wind noise
  • Lack of internal storage
  • The rain sensitive and/or intermittent wipers just never seem to get onto the right frequency in light rain
  • Apple integration is the absolute worst
  • Horrendous customer service and no ability to contact the SC by phone.. When something seems or is off, it's a real hassle. And FAR TOO MANY THINGS WENT WRONG!
  • The overreaction of cruise/AP to a car pulling in front or across. You never get used to this one and it's still unnerving when a car turns across your lane hundreds of feet ahead of you and no human driver would even consider slowing down but Tesla slams on the brakes.
  • The duration of time between getting into the car and it being ready to go has been increasing and is now often irksome.
  • Two failed MCUs
  • Really crappy BSW system
  • No cross traffic warning
  • No HUD
  • St Radio a $500 upgrade
  • Poor build quality
Things other drivers tel me are better with the Taycan that I did or didn't expect:
  • There is essentially no vampire battery drain with Taycan.
  • The range calculations are much, much more accurate with Taycan.
  • The Apple Music app on PCM. Since Tesla's relationship with Apple is the worst of any automotive OEM I've ever driven, I had gotten used to just not being able to use features in Tesla and could only use those when I rented cars (using Apple Car Play). Porsche & Apple Car Play works like any other but the dedicated Apple Music app has been excellent.
  • Ride quality and low noise is truly impressive
  • Very few speed sign/database errors so it really does know what they current speed limit is, unlike Tesla that had the incorrect speeds very often

I am still waiting on delivery for my M3 (less than 2 weeks away now). I think I will miss the height of my Mercedes GLC a little, would have liked to have gone for a model X to get that but out of my price range at the moment....will see how I get on with the 3 and perhaps trade for a Y in a few years

I miss the folding roof
Now it is warming up me too! It is a pity the Tesla roadster won't be a real convertible.
small.jpg

The Apple Music app on PCM. Since Tesla's relationship with Apple is the worst of any automotive OEM I've ever driven, I had gotten used to just not being able to use features in Tesla and could only use those when I rented cars (using Apple Car Play). Porsche & Apple Car Play works like any other but the dedicated Apple Music app has been excellent.
The fact Porsche only support Apple was one of the reasons I went Tesla. It irritated me on the last Porsche I had to buy an Apple phone which was only used to run Waze and sat permanently in the centre console (ready for someone to steal) and as it wasn't my phone number so I couldn't use it for calls or messaging. I know I'm not much better off now with Tesla but I resented that even though Porsche are owned by VW/Audi which both support Android Auto they refused to support it.

After 8 years and two Model Ss I've moved to a Porsche Taycan 4S. Here is what I will not miss about the Tesla:

Tesla dislikes:
  • Wind noise
  • Lack of internal storage
  • The rain sensitive and/or intermittent wipers just never seem to get onto the right frequency in light rain
  • Apple integration is the absolute worst
  • Horrendous customer service and no ability to contact the SC by phone.. When something seems or is off, it's a real hassle. And FAR TOO MANY THINGS WENT WRONG!
  • The overreaction of cruise/AP to a car pulling in front or across. You never get used to this one and it's still unnerving when a car turns across your lane hundreds of feet ahead of you and no human driver would even consider slowing down but Tesla slams on the brakes.
  • The duration of time between getting into the car and it being ready to go has been increasing and is now often irksome.
  • Two failed MCUs
  • Really crappy BSW system
  • No cross traffic warning
  • No HUD
  • St Radio a $500 upgrade
  • Poor build quality
Things other drivers tel me are better with the Taycan that I did or didn't expect:
  • There is essentially no vampire battery drain with Taycan.
  • The range calculations are much, much more accurate with Taycan.
  • The Apple Music app on PCM. Since Tesla's relationship with Apple is the worst of any automotive OEM I've ever driven, I had gotten used to just not being able to use features in Tesla and could only use those when I rented cars (using Apple Car Play). Porsche & Apple Car Play works like any other but the dedicated Apple Music app has been excellent.
  • Ride quality and low noise is truly impressive
  • Very few speed sign/database errors so it really does know what they current speed limit is, unlike Tesla that had the incorrect speeds very often

And the positives of the Tesla?

I only really miss Car Play. Mainly because my app choices don't align with Tesla's, but that's life.

My previous car was a Golf R, so the Tesla runs rings around that in almost every way. Anything else, eg. lack of speedo in front of the driver etc is more a matter of preference.

I miss the soft, comfy suspension of my Mercedes 190 (that was 30 years old when I replaced it with the Model 3 last year). But altogether I'm very happy with the Model 3, so no big deal. It is possible that the hard suspension of the Model 3 is ultimately better and safer, particularly at high speeds.

Reactions: Tonyf and Beady3647