Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still waiting on delivery for my M3 (less than 2 weeks away now). I think I will miss the height of my Mercedes GLC a little, would have liked to have gone for a model X to get that but out of my price range at the moment....will see how I get on with the 3 and perhaps trade for a Y in a few years
I’m still waiting too but am moving from a GLC63S, i never really liked the height as its not my preference in cars so will be happy to lose that but i will miss the noise, particularly on start up.

Strangely my GLC never had Apple CarPlay where my C63 and A45 before that did so that has conditioned me for the loss somewhat. I have migrated back to Spotify a little bit since JRE went exclusive so i might give that more of a go in my M3 but a dedicated Apple Music app would be brilliant. I do like that fact that the M3 feels quite familiar coming from a Merc, you can see the functional design cues in quite a lot of places i feel.

I will definitely miss the fully adaptive headlights, my GLC predated matrix LED’s but it still had full steering and traffic avoiding main beam which were brilliant, interior ambient lighting is something i will probably miss too although i never changed the colour in the entire time i owned the car so can probably get a similar effect in the M3 with the right bulbs

There is essentially no vampire battery drain with Taycan.

My MS certainly is not nearly as efficient when you compare net and gross energy. I don't understand why this isn't seen as a bigger issue. In fact, with battery heating / cooling etc and what happens as batteries age and Tesla start micro-managing them past end of warranty, I think the true energy picture could be even worse!

Screenshot_20210512_144306.jpg

Very few speed sign/database errors so it really does know what they current speed limit is, unlike Tesla that had the incorrect speeds very often

In the UK speed data is all over the place. Further compounded by roads crossing above / below. Add in reading irrelevant signs on side roads / agacent carriageways and who know what speed the car will select.

I've had my M3 for a few months and while I don't regret buying it I do miss this lot from my XJ that I traded in:
  • Heated steering wheel.
  • Ventilated seats.
  • Headlamp washers
  • Auto-leveling headlights - they reset themselves on every use in the Jag.
  • Leather seats (I miss being able to clean them and get the smell back)
  • Sound system - the Tesla one isn't bad, but it's not nearly as good as I expected having read about it. As a side note I also miss speed-sensitive volume control, in the Jag it turned the volume up or down to counteract road noise and the Tesla could definitely do with that.
  • Proper air vents that can be positioned and closed or opened individually. Sorry T, the M3 system is rubbish.
  • Soft-close doors - with that stupid push-button opening it really feels like it should have them.
  • Sensitivity adjustment on the automatic wipers (although recent improvements may be making that moot)
  • Working automatic high-beam. Well, less dysfunctional.
  • Physical buttons/switches for things like controlling the cruise control and wipers or just giving quick access to touch-screen functions. It's really difficult to operate some of the on-screen buttons without looking at them, which isn't good when driving. On top of that some idiot seems to move them around every time there's a software release.

Things I think I might miss in the future:
  • Opening sunroof. Honestly, I've never had a car with a glass roof that doesn't open and I think that will feel weird as we go into summer. I didn't use it that often, but it was always good to open it from time to time and let in some fresh air - particularly if you were at the coast or in the countryside.
  • Spare wheel, or at the very least a jack. I think I'll have to buy one.
  • A proper key fob. I know I can buy one, but then I'd also need a pouch so I can put in on my keyring. Why on earth do Tesla think I want to buy accessories for my accessories?

I’m still waiting too but am moving from a GLC63S, i never really liked the height as its not my preference in cars so will be happy to lose that but i will miss the noise, particularly on start up.

Strangely my GLC never had Apple CarPlay where my C63 and A45 before that did so that has conditioned me for the loss somewhat. I have migrated back to Spotify a little bit since JRE went exclusive so i might give that more of a go in my M3 but a dedicated Apple Music app would be brilliant. I do like that fact that the M3 feels quite familiar coming from a Merc, you can see the functional design cues in quite a lot of places i feel.

I will definitely miss the fully adaptive headlights, my GLC predated matrix LED’s but it still had full steering and traffic avoiding main beam which were brilliant, interior ambient lighting is something i will probably miss too although i never changed the colour in the entire time i owned the car so can probably get a similar effect in the M3 with the right bulbs
Always loved the GLC63S, seriously cool car, will be interested to see how you find performance on the Tesla compared to the 63 - Have you gone for M3P? - I had the GLC 350D, enjoyed driving it and a great family car to chuck the wife and son in for a road trip...so will have to see how my M3 LR compares regarding space and comfort

I've had my M3 for a few months and while I don't regret buying it I do miss this lot from my XJ that I traded in:
  • Heated steering wheel.
  • Ventilated seats.
  • Headlamp washers
  • Auto-leveling headlights - they reset themselves on every use in the Jag.
  • Leather seats (I miss being able to clean them and get the smell back)
  • Sound system - the Tesla one isn't bad, but it's not nearly as good as I expected having read about it. As a side note I also miss speed-sensitive volume control, in the Jag it turned the volume up or down to counteract road noise and the Tesla could definitely do with that.
  • Proper air vents that can be positioned and closed or opened individually. Sorry T, the M3 system is rubbish.
  • Soft-close doors - with that stupid push-button opening it really feels like it should have them.
  • Sensitivity adjustment on the automatic wipers (although recent improvements may be making that moot)
  • Working automatic high-beam. Well, less dysfunctional.
  • Physical buttons/switches for things like controlling the cruise control and wipers or just giving quick access to touch-screen functions. It's really difficult to operate some of the on-screen buttons without looking at them, which isn't good when driving. On top of that some idiot seems to move them around every time there's a software release.

Things I think I might miss in the future:
  • Opening sunroof. Honestly, I've never had a car with a glass roof that doesn't open and I think that will feel weird as we go into summer. I didn't use it that often, but it was always good to open it from time to time and let in some fresh air - particularly if you were at the coast or in the countryside.
  • Spare wheel, or at the very least a jack. I think I'll have to buy one.
  • A proper key fob. I know I can buy one, but then I'd also need a pouch so I can put in on my keyring. Why on earth do Tesla think I want to buy accessories for my accessories?
Which m3 did you get? The sound system in my m3p is amazing?! If you have either the lr or m3p, have you discovered the eq?

'Stupid push button opening'.
Physical buttons/switches for things like controlling the cruise control - to engage cruise control you have to pull the right lever down, and speed and distance can be adjusted via the physical right scroll wheel?

'On top of that some idiot seems to move them around every time there's a software release.' Slightly higher now in one major UI update since at least March 2020 (when I purchased mine)

'A proper key fob' - You don't like carrying a mobile phone around with you? (And I mean something other than a Nokia 3210. Like with a touch screen and very few physical controls)

I absolutely don’t regret moving to the Tesla but I do miss:
The all round ‘birds eye camera view’ great when manoeuvring in tight spaces.
The Mobileye speed limit indications that correctly told me the speed limit virtually all the time
The cruise control and speed limiting system that engaged at current speed
The rain sensor that worked reliably with variable sensitivity
The headlights that steered round corners

All this in a car that cost less than half of the Tesla!

I used to use a TomTom in preference to the old car’s nav system. I think I still would if it was not for the Tesla’s big screen. I’d like it to offer alternative routes and waypoints. Fingers crossed they are coming soon.
You can set the cruise to engage at current speed. I’ve got mine set to that

My MS certainly is not nearly as efficient when you compare net and gross energy. I don't understand why this isn't seen as a bigger issue. In fact, with battery heating / cooling etc and what happens as batteries age and Tesla start micro-managing them past end of warranty, I think the true energy picture could be even worse!

View attachment 661552

In the UK speed data is all over the place. Further compounded by roads crossing above / below. Add in reading irrelevant signs on side roads / agacent carriageways and who know what speed the car will select.
Why not just change it to engage at current speed instead of speed limit?
works perfectly …

Only one thing I really miss from my previous Passat GTE; the super comfy front seats. I'm in the apparent small minority who struggle to get truly comfortable in the Model 3, the fronts seats are nowhere near as good as the Passat. It's the one thing that might detract me from getting another Model 3 or maybe Y in future.

Reactions: dayone
Which m3 did you get? The sound system in my m3p is amazing?! If you have either the lr or m3p, have you discovered the eq?

'Stupid push button opening'.
Physical buttons/switches for things like controlling the cruise control - to engage cruise control you have to pull the right lever down, and speed and distance can be adjusted via the physical right scroll wheel?

'On top of that some idiot seems to move them around every time there's a software release.' Slightly higher now in one major UI update since at least March 2020 (when I purchased mine)

'A proper key fob' - You don't like carrying a mobile phone around with you? (And I mean something other than a Nokia 3210. Like with a touch screen and very few physical controls)

I have the LR and to my ears the sound system isn't that special, but to be fair the Jag had a 950w Meridian system with a subwoofer that could shake your teeth out, so I was a little spoiled. Yes, I've found the EQ.

I do carry a mobile phone with me everywhere, I said I might miss the key fob in future.

I know how to work the cruise control, thank you. I fail to see what that has to do with me being unimpressed with the door opening system and the doors not having soft close - you seem to have combined two items from my list.

Speaking of which, it's my list of the things I miss from my old car; I know how to operate my new one.

Feel free to make your own list, that's the point of the thread I think. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Puzuk
I have the LR and to my ears the sound system isn't that special, but to be fair the Jag had a 950w Meridian system with a subwoofer that could shake your teeth out, so I was a little spoiled. Yes, I've found the EQ.

I do carry a mobile phone with me everywhere, I said I might miss the key fob in future.

I know how to work the cruise control, thank you. I fail to see what that has to do with me being unimpressed with the door opening system and the doors not having soft close - you seem to have combined two items from my list.

Speaking of which, it's my list of the things I miss from my old car; I know how to operate my new one.

Feel free to make your own list, that's the point of the thread I think. 🤷‍♂️

Lil harsh there don't ya think? Feel like they were just trying to be helpful....in a roundabout way perhaps but still.

A bit of a twist, having only test driven an M3P, if I were to have one from tomorrow, I think I would miss my BMW M3 peace of mind trust that it just goes and no drama about ‘when Will I have a broken left camera?‘ or spoiler lift etc