Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you plan to tow?

What kind of trailer(s) do you plan to tow with your Cybertruck?

• Small rental trailer

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Small toy-hauler for single golf cart, side-by-side UTV, or 1-2 jet skis, quads, or snowmobiles

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Larger 2-axle toy-hauler (multiple ATVs, 4-snowmobiles, carl hauler)

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Enclosed 1-axle utility trailer

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Enclosed 2-axle utility trailer / race trailer

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Enclosed 2-horse trailer

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Small travel trailer / camper

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Large 2-axle travel trailer / camper

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Heavy equipment (bobcat) or dump-trailer (bumper pull)

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Large gooseneck or 5th wheel

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Boat

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tow 28 ft Airstream.
img_8799-png.483646
Yeah, I would be trading in my 40ft. two-story Airstream SkyDeck to go Cybertruck and Airstream trailer, probably 25ft. or under, 2007 or older. Will miss the washing machine and the roof patio of the SkyDeck, but having the car do the highway driving, priceless! I haven't touched the RVs since I got the Model 3, and that's coming up on two years. Re-dick. The Tesla is such a good camper, for one anyway.

Plus I'll have two UNPAINTED vehicles that will likely last me a lifetime. 80% of all Airstreams ever made are still on the road. They started making them in the '30's. If I leave the two vehicles in the yard they will keep charging off their solar, and when I am ready to go they will be too.

Reactions: gene
Towing is going to be my biggest concern when the truck hits the ground. I love the concept on paper but my family currently pulls our travel trailer with either a 1500 Ram or our preferred 7.3 Excursion. If the CT could handle our TT, it would be fantastic. I would love to see Tesla work with the RV community. I did throw down my deposit in hopes that it will be a solid tow vehicle. I figure worst case, it can replace the Ram.

If I was Tesla I would start by working out a deal with KOA to install Superchargers at their locations. That would make longer TT trips manageable while directing Tesla traffic to KOA facilities. This could be a mutually beneficial relationship. KOA is a franchise, so that may make it more difficult. The benefit is that not only is the number of camp grounds in their portfolio extensive, they are already more expensive than the mom and pop campgrounds. As such, their customers are use to spending a bit more for amenities. Supercharger access fits right in with patio sites and 80ft pull through.

Second, I would like to see Tesla work with a trailer manufacturer to design trailers with a range extender battery. This would be big for going distances, traveling in the mountains, and traveling in winter. Obviously that wouldn't fly on a discount trailer but they come in all prices and sizes.
Campgrounds don’t need superchargers, many already have 240/50 which is plenty to charge overnight. I guess what I’m More RV hookups is good enough.

The problem you will run into with range batteries on a camper is they are HEAVY. And even the most heavy duty travel trailers will not be set up to handle the extra weight. I tow our Black rock 22BHS 5-7+k miles a year. It’s one of the more heavy duty trailers out there, 22’ and just under 7k lbs loaded which is at max GVW. Now add another 1500-2k lbs for a battery plus what it would take to handle the extra weight (like 6k axles,...) and your looking at ~11k+, that’s in the weight range of a >30’ 5th wheel.

I currently tow my wakeboat from Ohio to Norris Lake 5 to 6 times per summer. Its a 240 mile trip one way. The dry weight of the boat is 5900 and the trailer weighs 1800lbs. Well over 8000lbs when loaded up. I currently tow with a GMC 2500 denali desiel.
Looking at the The Fast Lane Truck video and Engineering explained and a few others. It would seem highly unlikely to get even close to that 240 mile range towing a 8000 pound boat at Hwy speed. The speed you drive and wind drag seems to be a key factor as to how much range you get. If that 4000lbs horse trailer caused a 66% decrease in range at hwy speed i wouldn't expect any better than that with a good size boat wake boat.

Towing is going to be my biggest concern when the truck hits the ground. I love the concept on paper but my family currently pulls our travel trailer with either a 1500 Ram or our preferred 7.3 Excursion. If the CT could handle our TT, it would be fantastic. I would love to see Tesla work with the RV community. I did throw down my deposit in hopes that it will be a solid tow vehicle. I figure worst case, it can replace the Ram.

If I was Tesla I would start by working out a deal with KOA to install Superchargers at their locations. That would make longer TT trips manageable while directing Tesla traffic to KOA facilities. This could be a mutually beneficial relationship. KOA is a franchise, so that may make it more difficult. The benefit is that not only is the number of camp grounds in their portfolio extensive, they are already more expensive than the mom and pop campgrounds. As such, their customers are use to spending a bit more for amenities. Supercharger access fits right in with patio sites and 80ft pull through.

Second, I would like to see Tesla work with a trailer manufacturer to design trailers with a range extender battery. This would be big for going distances, traveling in the mountains, and traveling in winter. Obviously that wouldn't fly on a discount trailer but they come in all prices and sizes.

Use this Tesla Vehicle

Tesla-Semi-at-Pixar-3.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
I'm assuming side-view mirrors will come with the tow package,
I don't think there will be a "tow package". If you want tow mirrors I'm assuming you will have to add them, not as a selectable option.

Pure guess though, you may very well be correct.

I'm basing it on Tesla website specifying 5,000 lb tow capacity for Model X, but no tow package available.

Last edited:
I plan to tow Ford F-150s.

Mostly a large, double-axle travel trailer, as well as a small utility trailer and enclosed box trailer on occasion. I'll also tow my car hauler with tractor (GASP...Diesel?) aboard when it needs servicing.

Based solely on my Model 3's horrible battery performance/efficiency in winter and with the heat on, I'd say and towing with the truck will be very short range and not very heavy. I cant imagine how low the range would be while towing. Hopefully they have some new battery technology by then.

I guess this is my worry with the Cybertruck for me personally. And I'll preface this by saying every vehicle isn't for everyone. A Mazda Miata is a great vehicle, not so much for a family road trip.

While it looks like the truck could be their best deal for a lot of people, I use a pickup truck for my summer camping and that's about it. Most of the trips are 2-3 hour drives, 100-150 miles, and a few every year up to Duluth and such which are 225 miles or so away, and a couple big road trips (1000 mile or so). It's nice having it for hauling

My camper is a decent sized one, 8000 lbs loaded, not aerodynamic. So on my truck, my MPG cuts in about half (gas half ton). While electric might be more efficient towing, a lot of that trucks efficiency is in it's drag coefficient, which my trailer would throw out the window.

I know if I go places with electric, that will help me out, but I'd lose my ability to go non-electric (run a small generator and camp dispersed and middle of nowhere). But even with the electric sites, in summer, that would mean no A/C at night while charging which is kinda the point of paying for electric.

Also, the supercharger setup on those road trips. I heard they will be making pull through superchargers, but until I see them I'd rather wait.

Anyways, I see a video claiming 1/3 the efficiency here, and my pickup gives about half. So using those numbers...
250, 300, 500 mile ranges for the 3 models...

That's 83, 100, and 167 mile ranges with my camper at 33% efficiency, and 125, 150, and 250 with the 50% drop. Figure usable range of that (not driving to empty) and it's not too far on a family trip. For towing a boat, popup, or those who camp nearby at the same lake all the time, towing a trailer of junk to the scrapyard or dump every now and then etc... maybe, but I want to see real world there before making that call. And with myself, camping northern Minnesota is pretty desolate. If I'm going somewhere without electric I can unhitch my pickup, drive into the little lake town down the road, gas up and be good. A bit tougher relying on a supercharger off the beaten path.

So for me, it might struggle with the one thing I'd truly want a truck for. I guess that's my one reserve of why I'll be pursuing a model 3 as the family car, but holding off on the truck... for now. I might just sell the camper and go back to tent camping (and I've done the truck tent and had a blast) too, in which case, it moves up as more viable for me.

But again my situation is probably different from a lot of peoples. Most truck owners aren't using the towing feature of their truck often at all.

I guess this is my worry with the Cybertruck for me personally. And I'll preface this by saying every vehicle isn't for everyone. A Mazda Miata is a great vehicle, not so much for a family road trip.

While it looks like the truck could be their best deal for a lot of people, I use a pickup truck for my summer camping and that's about it. Most of the trips are 2-3 hour drives, 100-150 miles, and a few every year up to Duluth and such which are 225 miles or so away, and a couple big road trips (1000 mile or so). It's nice having it for hauling

My camper is a decent sized one, 8000 lbs loaded, not aerodynamic. So on my truck, my MPG cuts in about half (gas half ton). While electric might be more efficient towing, a lot of that trucks efficiency is in it's drag coefficient, which my trailer would throw out the window.

I know if I go places with electric, that will help me out, but I'd lose my ability to go non-electric (run a small generator and camp dispersed and middle of nowhere). But even with the electric sites, in summer, that would mean no A/C at night while charging which is kinda the point of paying for electric.

Also, the supercharger setup on those road trips. I heard they will be making pull through superchargers, but until I see them I'd rather wait.

Anyways, I see a video claiming 1/3 the efficiency here, and my pickup gives about half. So using those numbers...
250, 300, 500 mile ranges for the 3 models...

That's 83, 100, and 167 mile ranges with my camper at 33% efficiency, and 125, 150, and 250 with the 50% drop. Figure usable range of that (not driving to empty) and it's not too far on a family trip. For towing a boat, popup, or those who camp nearby at the same lake all the time, towing a trailer of junk to the scrapyard or dump every now and then etc... maybe, but I want to see real world there before making that call. And with myself, camping northern Minnesota is pretty desolate. If I'm going somewhere without electric I can unhitch my pickup, drive into the little lake town down the road, gas up and be good. A bit tougher relying on a supercharger off the beaten path.

So for me, it might struggle with the one thing I'd truly want a truck for. I guess that's my one reserve of why I'll be pursuing a model 3 as the family car, but holding off on the truck... for now. I might just sell the camper and go back to tent camping (and I've done the truck tent and had a blast) too, in which case, it moves up as more viable for me.

But again my situation is probably different from a lot of peoples. Most truck owners aren't using the towing feature of their truck often at all.
I tow a ~6800 lb camper 5-10k miles a summer and based on my math for the difference in MPG with my Land Cruiser when I’m towing. I put it in the 150-200 mile range max running =< 60mph for the 500+mile CT. We are typically in the same spot for at least 2 nights so I think charging on 50a should be fine.

Many of our campgrounds have upgraded to power over the last few years with the RV traffic boom up here in Alaska so now many have 30a and 50a on the same site. Charge the truck on 50a and plug the camper on 30a. We don’t have superchargers anywhere in state so when we do long trips in the 3 are charging at campgrounds already.