Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you put in the cargo compartments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious how everyone uses the two cargo spaces in the Model Y? Seems that the shallower one (closer to the rear seats) is a little difficult to gain access to, especially if you have a cargo liner installed.

What does everyone like to put in this space? If it's tough to get to, I was thinking of things like tools or hazard lights, a blanket, etc.

The other cargo area I guess would be used for things like umbrellas, ice scraper, etc?

I use them to hold my weed, bong, duct tape, plastic tarp, rope, shovel, and a bag of lime! ;)

Actually they hold my charging cable (never use it since I have a Tesla charger at home), puck kit for jack, tire plug kit, snow brush/scraper, and my bug-out bag of emergency and first aid supplies.

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I carry most of the rarely used preparedness tools in the frunk which i rarely open: mobile charger, set of lifting pucks, wheel lug alignment pin, rags, disposable gloves and coverall in case I need to roll around on the ground, etc. I should probably put a spare set of wiper blades in there.

In the back, I found that two or three collapsible folding bins, as sold in Costco, stack neatly in the rear (easily accessible) compartment, ready to hold groceries or whatever.

I currently have not filled the other rear compartment. No need for several oil filters, air filters, fuel pump, distributor cap, ignition wires and the like that I used to carry.

The main roadside emergency item that I'm worried about is something to get me going again if the 12 volt battery fails. I had thought some kind of modern lithium jump starter, but I'm hearing that the Tesla is very fussy about its 12 volt battery charging circuitry and self diagnostics, so I'm not clear that there is such an emergency solution.

My List:

Combination air compressor / light with a 12v plug
12V battery jump starter
Reflectors
Umbrella
Blanket
First-aid kit
Rope
And when I live in a snowy climate, chains

Added for the Tesla
Tesla Jack pads
Mobile Connector
Joystick (for the games)

The storage is one of my favorite things about the Model Y. Here's my standing storage space use:
  • Frunk: Inflator, simple tool kit, battery jump starter, jack pads (and sweaty workout close after a workout)
  • Right trunk cubby: empty
  • Left trunk cubby: first aid kit, rain poncho, 2 compact umbrellas
  • Forward trunk compartment: 2 full-size umbrellas
  • Rear trunk compartment: empty, when I need it for big stuff I want hidden
  • Main trunk area: empty unless I am moving something big or groceries

In the shallow rear sub-trunk I keep the mobile charger, a tire patch kit, and a portable jack w/lug nut wrench.

In the large sub-trunk I currently have a folding front seat tray and windshield sunscreen (not used in winter). Sunscreen goes under passenger seat in the summer.

Frunk is empty. I usually use it for takeout food or to smuggle stuff into the house.

• I keep the mobile charger with the NEMA 14-50 adapter in the right cubby. I use this for charging my car in the driveway.
  • I keep a tire inflator and a separate pressure gauge in the left cubby.
  • In the shallow under-trunk I keep the lifting pucks and all the other charging adapters.
  • The deep under-trunk sometimes has spare warm clothes.
  • I keep an umbrella under the passenger seat. Also some LED road "flares".
  • I used to keep a lightweight raincoat in the passenger door compartment.
  • I keep paper towels and a small portable vac in the driver door storage.
  • Emergency stuff (first aid, safety hammer) and extra microfiber towels are in a bin under the driver's seat.
  • Like someone else above I keep foldable crates in the trunk. These are great.
  • I also keep three large totes that can be shoulder carried in the trunk. Two of them are insulated.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Many people complain that their rubber mats are too rigid and it is difficult to open the hidden cargo area below the trunk. You may want to check out the Lessy Messy trunk mat which is very flexible and makes it easy to access the cargo compartment. It is really unique since it's the only mat that can be put in the washer and dryer. Yup - it's an innovative design with multi layered construction that makes it absorbent, leak-proof, washer/dryer safe, rugged yet flexible.
Check it out at
lessymessyauto.com