Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you tell people when taking them for a demo drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you are showing your Tesla to new people and taking them for a test drive, what do you tell them?

The main points I make are:
1) The drive train is revolutionary: efficient and powerful. The battery only holds the equivalent of 2.5 gallons, yet gets 310 miles and better acceleration than a porsche.
2) The interface is a modern update from other cars. It's like an iPad, but with wheels.
3) The self driving is a game changer. It's nearly perfect on the interstate and even 2 lane highways.
4) The superchargers are also revolutionary. The care is fun and easy to take on long trips.

What do you tell tesla virgins?

...what do you tell them?...

I agree with the above posts: The instant acceleration that's so quietly and effortlessly would convince many people.

For those on the fence, let them ask the questions and most likely they'll just need some basic reassurance such as how they can drive from coast to coast without gasoline...

Some people would love Tesla and some would feel threatened by it and hate it.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Here is my typical list
1. It gets 300 miles of range (and you can drive across the country if you want to)
2. Costs me $20-30/month in electricity
3. Its like an iPad on wheels - if you can use an iPad, you can learn this easily
4. Its very smooth - Notice the lack of gear shifting (when people drive, they notice this more)
5. Its very fast (some people care, some don’t)

I normally leave out the autopilot stuff unless they are continuing to show interest, then that’s my next topic of discussion. I always try to refrain from overloading them with information. It varies significantly from person to person.

Also, with Coronavirus, I have not had anyone besides my wife in my car since February. So, no opportunities to “expose” new people to Tesla. It is highly contagious and dangerous to the pocketbook.

Reactions: EinSV and Matsayz
I let them drive it. That's more fun. Thay gasped at the first time u tell them to mash it. I couldn't get a buddy out it. We were in fort worth he drove till we had to go get juice. One lady came back, got out of the car, turned to her husband, "I want one in the driveway tomorrow "".. she got it a week later.
Better yet, I'm in the local car club. We have drive in once a month at shopping mall. I took entire Frunk out. That was show stopper. I then showed hidden under trunk. "Where is motor?". 3 hours of explaining.

Well… I don't have a script of what I tell passengers. I just let them ask questions and try to answer them as best I can. The most typical questions are always:

* How far does it go? (300+ miles on full charge.)
* What's the MPG? (Doesn't have gallons: ~4.2 miles-per-kWh = 140 "equivalent" MPG.)
* How long will the battery last? (After 35K miles and 2+ years, still has ~98.8% capacity.)
* Has your electric bill gone way up? (Nope. Charging from the grid is ~1/5th the cost of gasoline. I pay zero, zip, zilch with solar.)
* Does it have a good sound system? (Tell the car to play a song of your choice.)
* Is it fast? (Hold my beer.)

In addition to many of the above, I usually add comments about "one pedal driving" and how I touch the brake about once or twice a week when a squirrel runs out in front of it. "Braking before a curve and accelerating into it" takes on a whole new experience with this car which I'm quick to point out.

I also comment about the "secret button" to get out of the car after I inadvertently left a friend behind trying to figure it out.

And then there's the obligatory reference to the engineless "Flintstones' car" followed by one to the Delorean with the "flux capacitor" from "Back to the Future."

Finally, as some have pointed out, simply letting them drive it speaks volumes.

Reactions: Yanquetino