Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think influenced the design of the S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious if Tesla had hired designers for the body of the Model S from other manufacturers, and if so, can you see influence in the design from their previous creations? For example, the Aston Martin and many Ford models (Fusion, Focus, Fiesta, Mustang) now share very similar grills.

I can see Panamera in the S, but I'm sure there's more to it. Any thoughts?

Jaguar at the front, Aston Martin DB 9/Vantage at the rear and some of Franz's personal preferences all over the car. Actually if you see a new Mazda 6 on the road you can sometimes confuse it with a Model S. And guess who designed the Mazda 6 ;).

I was curious if Tesla had hired designers for the body of the Model S from other manufacturers, and if so, can you see influence in the design from their previous creations? For example, the Aston Martin and many Ford models (Fusion, Focus, Fiesta, Mustang) now share very similar grills.

I can see Panamera in the S, but I'm sure there's more to it. Any thoughts?

Franz von Holzhausen moved from Mazda to Tesla as Director of Design and was responsible for the Model S. I don't know if Franz was involved with the Mazda concept called Shinari. but there is a pretty striking resemblance in my mind between Model S and the Shinari concept.

mazda_shinari_concept_1.jpg

I can also see design elements of Jaguar and Aston Martin in the Model S, and my P85+ has been mistaken for a Maserati on more than one occasion.

Actually it's interesting you point out the Mazda similarities! I've driven past what I thought were MS only to find out they were Mazdas. I don't see AM/Jag influence. That would be a bonus due to me trading my Vantage in for the MS, but definitely see the Panamera/Mazda bloodlines in there.

- - - Updated - - -

I can also see design elements of Jaguar and Aston Martin in the Model S, and my P85+ has been mistaken for a Maserati on more than one occasion.
I can also see some Maserati in the fender lines and headlight sweep.

Oh wow. I never noticed the Jaguar similarity until that picture! I guess I hadn't seen them near each other before. And the Lotus Eterne looks like it's built on the same platform! Just like seeing an Exige and Roadster together. They look so alike.