Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is better for battery

During cold winter, what is the best option

• Daily 100% charges

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Daily quick stop at SC

Votes: 33 91.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's more details of my daily usage

Pre-heat (plugged)
Drive 120km
Parked outside for 8 hours
Drive another 120km home.

I wonder if using a thick car cover would help a little bit to keep the car warmer inside?
At least, there would be less convection and radiation losses from the windows exposed directly to the wind?
(But I think you need to keep an air flow in front of the car grill)

Could you park on the side of a building protecting from the wind?

I beleive that the battery try to stay warm, so any heat losses would be preferable.
If you have a lot of wind coming from a particular side of the car,
may be you could put a screen or some cardboards to avoid the wind passing untder the car.

Note: It is amasing in my home how a simple curtain can keep a room warmer in winter, by avoiding air flowing along the windows.

neverwet-plus-car-logos.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any charging at your destinations? I'm guessing that 240km is round trip. Where others plug in to keep their block warm, it works great for your battery.

If my math is right, you really should be able to do the trip without worrying or charging. You should be getting about 70% of your rated range, so charging to 90% should work for you.

Reactions: Kenz and Rocky_H
I know it's not ideal, but what's the best scenario, during cold winter.
I need to do 240km (150mi) highway trip on weekday. Trying to plan for the worst days (-30 in canada)

For those who don't notice, there is a poll at the top of the screen containing the question. The user drives 120km to work and then back w/ heating.

Some users have pointed out that the ill-effects of charging to 100% can be handled by using a NEMA 14-50 and charging to 100% from 80/90% just before leaving (while pre-heating the vehicle in this case). I don't know how long that would take (20 mins, 1 hour?), and I leave you to do the math on that.

Personally, I would charge to 100% or whatever is needed, if that is needed.

Honestly, you bought the wrong car. I would look to replace it with a LR version. If that's not an option, I would SC on your commute to or from work. Don't charge to 100% daily; charge to 90% and preheat (really hot) prior to leaving.
A car that is rated 402km, i was expecting to be able to do 240km, especially if the car is pre-heated at home...
But, will see... I have access to Chademo and SC on my way !

Sounds like it's not an option but even plugging into a 120v outlet for 8 hours at work might be enough if you can figure that out. It would add around 40 miles (maybe a little less).

Unfortunately, ev + cold weather + using the heater uses significantly more energy than rated. Obviously you know that but this is good information for someone reading this who hasn't purchased yet. I usually recommend at least double the rated range for the worst case daily commute to people who ask about it locally (I live in Colorado). Not a scientific number but I think it's a reasonable rule of thumb. Probably much less of a concern in a warmer climate.

For 8 hours trying to "insulate" with a car cover will accomplish nothing,
might actually hurt interior temps due to no solar gain.
I say this as someone who has driven my S in -30c.
I agree that in less than an hour, or even less, any part of the car will be at ambient external temperature.
What I was meaning is that the battery tries to stay warm, similar to human body temperature.

So depending if it's a windy area, there might be some additional heat losses from convection.
If there is no wind, then been parked in a garage or outside would be very similar, without the possible sun positive effect.
In general I try to park on the opposite side of a building from the major wind or rain direction.

As Mark Twain said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
I think that he meant that the weather can change very quickly, especially after sunset when the wind get strong.

But this cannot be compared to the kind of winter you must experience. I went to Canada and Alaska but only during the summer.
However I remember watching a TV series about the Klondike gold rush which really retraced the harsh winter of the Yukon area.

By the way, I have a 65 miles one way commute, so similar to the OP but I have a LR and I can charge at home. Also I'm in California with heavy traffic.