Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of my modified Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glossy laser cut vinyl by "Custom Cut graphics" for T logos and handles.
Basenor white mud flaps.
561-FA96-E-7984-49-ED-8247-8354-D8-AE797-E.png

Glossy laser cut vinyl by "Custom Cut graphics" for T logos and handles.
Basenor white mud flaps.
561-FA96-E-7984-49-ED-8247-8354-D8-AE797-E.png

I *really* don't like the red handles. The red T is okay but I think the chrome is better. Not a fan of the white mudflaps either since it's not part of the body and I wouldn't continue that body color into a mudflap.I think it's best to camouflage mudflaps and such things, and it's easy to do because tires are already 'black' or at least close to it.

I'm not a fan of any handles that are popped out with color, black, red, or otherwise. Chrome is okay, but I think the best handle treatment is color-matched. On my white P3D- I plan to go with a white wrap. This way, the handles are still functional but you're not interrupting the body lines. There are examples of people who have done this and the cars look great. I also think hidden handles contribute to the overall design minimalism we see in Teslas and of which I'm a big fan.

I'm an artist so yes I'm a bit picky about these things! Your car looks great otherwise...just like mine!

Why are there so many white cars? I should have bought blue or midnight grey.

White paint is free now but hasn't always been.

Climate change is spiking up temperatures and especially in the summer. White reflects light and thus there's way less heat buildup, meaning less A/C and more preserved range. A white interior would be cooler than a black interior if both were exposed to the same sunlight through the windshield. The difference on the outside of the car is pretty staggering when one sees the tests done comparing white cars to black cars.

White is a 'neutral' color that isn't a commitment to something that people might grow tired of. I love ALL of the Tesla colors, but my eyes never get tired of white vehicles. Since vehicle wrapping is pretty much perfected, there's no color outside of our reach, and we're not committed to any one color by default.

In various space programs, white has been historically used because of its thermal properties (rejects light, less heat)*. This means less thermal buildup on launchpads but also in space where there's no atmosphere. Space suits (EVA suits) are white, probably for similar reasons and require less cooling. I'm guessing cooling is more difficult or uses more energy than heating.

Since there's shared DNA between SpaceX and Tesla via Elon Musk and the minimalistic space-age look of our vehicles, white is a natural fit for us self-selected space nerds who love Tesla not just for its many benefits but because of everything SpaceX has accomplished.

Tesla and the white space vehicle look go well together, and I imagine that there's a higher incidence of space fans amongst Tesla owners. I rented a Tesla (before buying one) from a former NASA rocket scientist. The first EV I ever drove was owned by a rocket scientist from Boeing. The space helmet avatar you see next to my name 'Spacep0d' (the name of my car) was designed and built by me. Coincidence? Maybe, but I would wager that Tesla has a high incidence of astronomy/aerospace fans.

White paint doesn't have the mirror-like properties of black or darker colors, so it's easier to keep it looking clean even if it's not totally clean. Black is the most mirror-like paint and exposes every swirl and blemish. Looks amazing when clean though, but harder to maintain.

*From the web;

"As propellants changed and cryogenic fuels became more common, white became the norm for its thermal properties. Darker colors resulted in excessive heating on the launch pad. The thermal choice extends to on-orbit vehicles like the Space Shuttle. There are a few exceptions. The Delta II is Delta Blue in color."

Last edited:
@Spacep0d: Totally agree.

Also, to me, white is usually very neutral, timeless and elegant, but - as the only downside esp. for Tesla cars - shows the panel gaps more than the same car in black.

That said, I am very much looking forward to my white M3P - hopefully towards the end of the year.

Reactions: Spacep0d
I *really* don't like the red handles. The red T is okay but I think the chrome is better. Not a fan of the white mudflaps either since it's not part of the body and I wouldn't continue that body color into a mudflap.I think it's best to camouflage mudflaps and such things, and it's easy to do because tires are already 'black' or at least close to it.

I'm not a fan of any handles that are popped out with color, black, red, or otherwise. Chrome is okay, but I think the best handle treatment is color-matched. On my white P3D- I plan to go with a white wrap. This way, the handles are still functional but you're not interrupting the body lines. There are examples of people who have done this and the cars look great. I also think hidden handles contribute to the overall design minimalism we see in Teslas and of which I'm a big fan.

I'm an artist so yes I'm a bit picky about these things! Your car looks great otherwise...just like mine!

Thanks for your feedback man! I actually am not a fan of the red on the handles either. It looked cooler in my head than in reality. They're pretty cheap to buy so I'll probably get my heat gun, remove them and experiment with pearl white.

Why are there so many white cars? I should have bought blue or midnight grey.

Haha, yes it's quite crazy. Here in the north bay it's pretty common to see 3 or more white Model 3s on the same alley of a Whole Foods parking lot. That's actually what made me look at custom wraps, to avoid seeing another owner try to get in on my sentry cam one of those days.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Love it! I am waiting on a m3 (in white) and my wife already said she didn’t like the black handles because of how they stood out. Since this will is our car, but will be hers when my Cybertruck arrives, I already ordered the white vinyl to cover the door handles.

I like the boldness of the contrasting color. It is easy to change if you get sick of it, so I would go even farther and paint or wrap the wheel covers too. You can also do this in photoshop to see how it will look, first.
Maybe a red pin striping too? IMO it just needs a little more to balance it out, or reduce it to just the T logos.

Love it! I am waiting on a m3 (in white) and my wife already said she didn’t like the black handles because of how they stood out. Since this will is our car, but will be hers when my Cybertruck arrives, I already ordered the white vinyl to cover the door handles.

I like the boldness of the contrasting color. It is easy to change if you get sick of it, so I would go even farther and paint or wrap the wheel covers too. You can also do this in photoshop to see how it will look, first.
Maybe a red pin striping too? IMO it just needs a little more to balance it out, or reduce it to just the T logos.

Good call :)

5qSiePy.jpg

Thanks for your feedback man! I actually am not a fan of the red on the handles either. It looked cooler in my head than in reality. They're pretty cheap to buy so I'll probably get my heat gun, remove them and experiment with pearl white.

Sure thing. Thanks for being so game to hear some honest feedback. You did a nice job wrapping them! White will look way better, even if the color-match isn't perfect. Can't wait to see the final result. :)

tesla has *sugar* paint quality
Well, a lot of that kind of blanket statement seems to get a lot of space (panel gaps too) on this site, but I think there is some nuance. I am appalled at the fact that I have peeling pain on the drive side door hinge and that already have black acne on my rear bumper right behind the tires (now have flaps that DON'T rub). BUT, my white paint has considerably less "orange peel" than my more recent bimmers and my GTI, tho not as good as my Porsches. It has also held up very well wherever applied to metal (the bumper panel being plastic.).